IGNORED

Alternative Fairing styles

I'm going out on a limb here. I've seen a couple guys talk about changing the body style of their Gen 1 and get fried so I am going to set this up a little bit. I am in the process of painting all of my fairings. Anyone who has taken off all the fairings knows that 25 year old ABS is "band-aided" together. I am not a mechanical genious, but I think that the ABS fairings are one of the weak links to these machines lasting a lot more years. You can ABS patch and glue as much as you want, but you are still patching 25 year old ABS.

I would love to see a thread where some people explore alternative fairing systems for the Gen 1's. For some of you entrepreneurs, I think there could be a little business for a front fairing and a heat sheild for the sides covering up the wire with some leather bags for example.

With that, I'll jump off. Be gentle.

OK...so now that you guys took off your lower fairing, put some highway pegs on the crashbars. WITHOUT the lower fairing, you can strech out your legs right under the big fairing....VERY comfortable on long trips! (something I could NOT do on my Wing)

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/97/m_b6e076470d9d783044fc0ce00f6e62cd.jpg

Hey, I had the same idea. I just spent 2 days repairing cracks and fabricating new tabs and pressure point reinforcement on all that crappy plastic.

I think that there is a very small niche market, but it could pay for itself. I would leave the shape of the uppers intact for those who want to maintain the radio, etc.

I ran it around for about a week without the lower fairings ands found it allows a lot of engine heat on your legs. I'll pass!

I have had the lower fairings off for several years and I ride with shorts on most all the time. That being said, I have never felt the bike was hotter with the lower fairings off. And, this is with a lowered Corbin seat, which was not on it in that picture.

That picture was the one used for the January 2007 Venturerider calender.

RandyA

I have not modified the upper fairings, but I have the side panels and removed the lower fairings. This opened the engine up more to see the "V" better.

RandyA

Randy, I've loved the look of your mod ever since I saw it in Asheville. I'm thinking of doing the same style mod to mine. But, I was wondering how much more heat from the engine this put on your legs and if the loss of the front chin and lower fairings affected the handleing and aerodynamics of the bike in any way.

Bob, as I noted above, I have never felt it increased any heat concerns and that is with me wearing shorts most of the time when it is hot. As far as the lower fairing, the 83's did not have a lower chin like the later MKII's did, so I can't compare any handling differences, but I could not tell any difference on my bike.

RandyA

I tell you what Randya.

In my opinion, you dramatically improved the looks of this bike.

I really struggled with the look and I did not like the way the engine was covered up. Couldn't figure out a way to show the engine without showing the wires.

I guess you solved that.

Well done.

I tell you what Randya.

In my opinion, you dramatically improved the looks of this bike.

I really struggled with the look and I did not like the way the engine was covered up. Couldn't figure out a way to show the engine without showing the wires.

I guess you solved that.

Well done.

Thanks Bobby, I really appreciate that.

As a general rule, I am not a real anal kind of a person, but I do have a thing about symmetry. I have never liked the way that the 1st gens look when looking at the engine from the side. On the early bikes that did not have the louvers in the side panels, you could see part of the rear head and some of the front head in front of the lower fairings. On the later bikes it is even worse. So my attempt was to be able to show the "V", but also open it up to be close to symmetrical on both sides, and actually, it is still not as symmetrical as I would like. I am happy with the rear area with the side panel coming to a point, but the area near the radiator does not match as well as I would like.

There are advantages for me in that I have highway pegs on top of the engine bars and before, the downward part of the lowers hit me in the side of the lower leg and was not comfortable. Now, that is not a problem. I am now a bit more exposed to rain and spray off other vehicles when it is wet, but I can also tuck my feet in close on the engine and it is almost as good as before.

Personally, I think the bike looks lighter in the front end by not having all the plastic between the fender and engine. It also seems to cause some of the Harley type to take a second look because they usually think it is an old Goldwing, but they see the prominent "V" and that kind of throws them. It is also a bit confusing because I have almost all the emblems off the bike. I have the Yamaha emblem under the windshield, but that is about all. I just think it looks a lot cleaner.

RandyA

I've always thought of putting an old style (70's Kawi) cafe' racer headlight cover and hanging the skins off the sides like a road racer, have to have a seat made and rear cover. I was checking that out last year before I put the plastic back on the bike.

might look pretty cool.

Actually, I have the entire fairing off my bike. I only have the windshield (very short) on the front...and I LOVE it!!!

I can see a whole lot better, and the front end is a ton lighter...so now it really handles fantastic!!! (sorry, no pics of my rat!).

it looks like crap..which is fine with me. (everybody asks if I crashed my bike and busted off my fairing!!!) hahahaa

Patrick,

I think having all your fairings off your bike and loving it says a lot about you and it is good. My wife is embarrassed for me and her when I go riding because I wear all the protective gear I can find. I'm much more interested than going riding than how I am percieved. Not saying it is right or wrong, but you are doing it your way and I think that is great!

... when I go riding because I wear all the protective gear I can find.
Hey Bobby, I'm with yuh, I don't go to the corner store without gearing up. It can be a PITA but bad things happen to good people all the time. I have no intention of leaving bits and bobs (no pun, honestly. :sign07:) of my birthday suit scattered down the pavement.

Well..thankyou very much Mr. Bobby!....that made me feel great!

here's one for ya...

(leo) "that's alotta gear you're wearing on such a hot day...planning on crashing???"

(rider) "I see you're wearing a kevlar vest...planning on getting shot???" :rasberry:

also..."NO...but I plan on getting back up again if I do!" :happy34::crackup:

Hey Roger,

I bought an extra set of side panels off ebay for less than $10 each, so I still have all my original stuff.

On the bottom of the panel, I cut it just past the rubber band clip and used a heat gun to roll it into a point. I then used the Devco Plastic weld to fill in some. On the top portion, I cut it to allow some plastic to be folded in some which I again did with a heat gun. I cut the top section of the panel to match up with the bottom edge of the top fairing. If you blow up the pictures I posted above, you can tell better what I did. Once you click on the small picture and it comes up, click on it again and it will get bigger.

Some that have done this mod just cut it off to be a blunt, square end, but I wanted to enhance the "V" as much as I could.

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it.

RandyA