IGNORED

2010 Harley

BuckShot

Some Info

From the Yamaha Canada website...

Yamaha Motor Canada invites you to come back on September 8th at 12 noon (EST) to see our complete 2010 motorcycle and ATV line-ups.

The "Right Here, Right Now" event will be held at participating Yamaha dealerships throughout September. Dealers will have all the details on our new exciting 2010 models and on our complete family of motorcycles, ATVs, outboards, snowmobiles, side by side vehicles, generators, water vehicles and sport boats.

Don't miss it…."Right Here, Right Now!", September 8th at 12 noon EST!

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/our_company/news_item.php?news_id=66

Guest Saddletramp

Will it be exciting new models as promised or the same old, same old with just different colors? Come on Star, Harley has had fuel injection since what, 95 or so. A CD player in the dash as well. I love my Venture but sure would like to see some modern upgrades. I should also mention the accessories such as GPS hook ups as well as satellite radios that are available.

what do you mean .......still behind....you can tune carbs.....you can change cams ..pipes...bore...so it would be better to take your bike to the dealer to be fixed...and get the big check out...talk to harley owners that have SFI , most hate them..i have a friend that had one he took it back to the dealer 5 times to try to get it right ended up trading it back in for a carbed bike no isssues since.. but to each his own........:178:

So, did Harley introduce their water cooled V4 engine finally? if not, then the 2009 Royal Stars are 30 years ahead of the Harleys already.....

:dancefool:

Not on the touring models---but at least they have all the gauges, EFI, and a CD player,6 speed trans.

Yamaha and Harley both have proven engines.

I haven't found a bike out there yet that doesn't have quirks and a few problems.

The RSV, if it didn't have the 5 yr warrenty , would be a problem for the less mechanical enclined. Some say the Harley is just as bad.

My 86 VR that I love, I can't get parts for anymore unless I go to fleebay.

The Harley's, At least you can still get parts thou they may be expensive.

They HD's, you have more than 2 paint options for each yr.

Sticker price on an 09 HD was $3000.00 more than an RSV yesterday, and you have to remember, that on trade or selling you will get that back in the end.

I like both bikes---I bought my 86 new, and I hope I don't have to keep another new bike 23 yrs but I am looking at both right now.

Of course, a 23 yrs old harley in good running condition is worth alot more than my venture.

Rode in the Dixie Thunder to Meridian Chunky River Harley store yesterday. Had the 2010's on the floor, but as I passed the Service Dept. price chart on the wall, I made an abrupt U turn and went back outside to the music and food. Even if I could find a 'GREAT' deal on an Ultra Classic, I don't think I would pay the outrageous costs associated with Harley ownership ie; all the accessories and servicings.

I was once accused of not being 'money conscious', but of being 'downright tight'.

Most people looking at Harley's are doing so because their friend, uncle or whomever has one and they are buying into the Harley mentality. I'm not knocking the bike or those who ride them, at least not all the riders, I just don't understand this Harley mentality. The more I hear Harley's on the road with the ear deafening pipes the more I dislike these people. The more fat (I'm over weight too) Harley riders I see riding down the road with their guts hanging out of their too small t-shirt and a cigarette in their mouth the more I dislike Harley's. The attitude of our s**t don't stink but yours does because you ride a Yamaha is getting real old. Last time I walked into a HD dealership to see if they had something and the guy laughed when I told him what I drove was the last time I've been in a HD place.

I have several friends who ride Harley's and they don't fit this mold and I know not all do. But unfortunately there are enough HD riders to create a most unfavorable impression amongst many people.

That said, HD has a marketing strategy I wish I could emulate in a business. They know how to make money.

what do you mean .......still behind....you can tune carbs.....you can change cams ..pipes...bore...so it would be better to take your bike to the dealer to be fixed...and get the big check out...talk to harley owners that have SFI , most hate them..i have a friend that had one he took it back to the dealer 5 times to try to get it right ended up trading it back in for a carbed bike no isssues since.. but to each his own........:178:

I had FI on a Nomad, a Strat, and a VTX...never had a problem with it. I also had 3 Valkyries with 6 carbs and never had synch problems like these bikes have.

I have been riding since 1959, not always legally, but all the bikes I have ridden have been carbureted except my 2000 HD Ultra. I don't understand the mentality of FI engine "need". All have performed great and the occassional sync is not a problem. This is an overated statement from those who subscribe to the magazine journals and government mandates.

:farmer:

Edited by Sylvester

Harleys HAVE to be released as early as possible to give the dealers more time to unload them onto the unsuspecting. If you gotta have something with HArley on it, just buy a d*mn t-shirt; spend your real money on a better machine (Star or any Yamaha cruiser/tourer). Cannot help it, but all of this false "glowing" about HArleys leaves me cold. Have had three of the things. Worthless junk. Pretty. Worthless. Junk.

Boy--talk about HD riders bashing other types of bikes and / or riders.

This forum is open to the public. Same as standing up at a poker run and speaking into a microphone as far as I am conserned. I for one don't care what you ride, as long as you ride and treat me like you would like to be treated. Everyone can't get along with everyone, that would be almost impossible. Yes--some bikes are ugly or look cheaply built--and I may state my oppion, but I try to do it in a nice way. As for saying HD's are junk---Anyone reading on this web site that didn't know anything about the RSV might come up with the same impression about the second gen's. Just look at all the posts about the little problems with them and the warrenty/dealer complaints. Never had all these issues with my 86, sorry, and didn't hear much about alot of problems with the 86 and newer 1st gen's. Maybe I'm hard of hearing.

This thread wasn't started to create a debate about how good or bad a certain make of bike is. Was just wondering why HD and Honda and maybe some others are ahead of Yamaha in introducing their 2010 models. As for the 09 RSV, I couldn't find it on a dealer floor anywhere around here untill April of 09.

On another note--I was telling my wife today on our ride,that I feel like I'm taking 3 steps back looking and comparing the other tourer's to our 86 VR.:stickpoke::crackup: The only bike that I haven't looked at closely is the BMW.

Edited by BuckShot

I talked to a dealer yesterday and he said that Yamaha is not having a national dealer meeting this year. Instead, they are doing regional meetings and they may not have any bikes to show at the meetings. Just a slide show. Some kind of cost cutting measure.

DT

I talked to a dealer yesterday and he said that Yamaha is not having a national dealer meeting this year. Instead, they are doing regional meetings and they may not have any bikes to show at the meetings. Just a slide show. Some kind of cost cutting measure.

DT

O thats a good sign for nothing to come.:headache:

MOST of us realize that no one is going to admit that they are riding a 'piece of crap'.

We may bash them after we sold them, but unless we are having constant problems with a machine, we tell everyone that they are great.

I know that some will argue with this point, but I'll stick with what I see.

craigr

The HDs have some great looking bikes and you have to give it to there markting group for making people think that if they dont ride and own a HD you might s well stay home. Every maker out there has good and bad things about there bikes but I will agree that Yamaha needs to get in the game, they build great bikes but really need to be ahead of the game. Maybe one day they will give you more options for color and stuff! It would be nice also to get some cool clothes for the bikes we ride instead of having to buy HD clothes.

I have an 07 Royal Star Venture, since new, that now has 40,000 kms on it. I have to say that I love the bike, but don't love the quirks it has, that Yamaha Canada will do nothing about.

The chirp/whine is a perfect example. Turbo boost?? Yeesh! If I have to lie to my Harley riding friends/family that the noise is a turbo, forget it. Yamaha should fix the problem. When I have to "excuse myself" when I sit on my bike first thing in the morning, and the back shock (or whatever it is) makes its "signature" groan and sounds like I passed gas.... forget it... Just fix it!!!

When I have to pretend that my cruise does not have an Accelerate button that is (according to the manual) increment 1.6 km/hr when I give it a single push.... and it does'nt work.... and instead I have to set my speed using the twist grip and then set it??? Forget that too. When Yamaha SAYS the cruise works that way... then make it work that way. If the bike has an issue with chirping and whining... don't make each of us fight with our dealer for 6 months or more and then you make us feel like you are doing US the favor... forget it.

I am really fed up with the Yamaha Bull when it comes to standing behind its products. I am not a Harley fan, nor do I own one, and likely never will. My brother owns an Ultra that has its own quirks.. BUT, the Yamahas are not perfect either... and the Yamaha Canada mentality of passing the buck to the dealer, and then dealer back to Yamaha Canada is bull too.

Are there any others out there that are unhappy with Yamaha support? Anyone know of anyone taking any legal actions on known issues?

I have an 07 Royal Star Venture, since new, that now has 40,000 kms on it. I have to say that I love the bike, but don't love the quirks it has, that Yamaha Canada will do nothing about.

The chirp/whine is a perfect example. Turbo boost?? Yeesh! If I have to lie to my Harley riding friends/family that the noise is a turbo, forget it. Yamaha should fix the problem. When I have to "excuse myself" when I sit on my bike first thing in the morning, and the back shock (or whatever it is) makes its "signature" groan and sounds like I passed gas.... forget it... Just fix it!!!

When I have to pretend that my cruise does not have an Accelerate button that is (according to the manual) increment 1.6 km/hr when I give it a single push.... and it does'nt work.... and instead I have to set my speed using the twist grip and then set it??? Forget that too. When Yamaha SAYS the cruise works that way... then make it work that way. If the bike has an issue with chirping and whining... don't make each of us fight with our dealer for 6 months or more and then you make us feel like you are doing US the favor... forget it.

I am really fed up with the Yamaha Bull when it comes to standing behind its products. I am not a Harley fan, nor do I own one, and likely never will. My brother owns an Ultra that has its own quirks.. BUT, the Yamahas are not perfect either... and the Yamaha Canada mentality of passing the buck to the dealer, and then dealer back to Yamaha Canada is bull too.

Are there any others out there that are unhappy with Yamaha support? Anyone know of anyone taking any legal actions on known issues?

I AGREE 100%!!

AND, I didn't know the morning groan of the shock was a known problem. I thought it was just my bike.

As an owner of both an '07 RSV and an '03 Ultra Classic I can say that each has its own strong points. I like the room and comfort of my RSV and I like the liquid cooled V-4. I like the way the Harley feels in the city with the torque and responsive slow speed handling. They both perform well on the highway and are good touring bikes. Either one can be as loud or quiet as you want it to be. I am looking very closely at consolidating down to one bike and it will probably be a 2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited. With the new frame they are very close to the RSV in leg room, it comes standard with ABS, a larger motor and heated grips, passing lamps and luggage rack, throw in the fuel injection and a modern audio package and it compares very well against an RSV with the only major difference being the price and as mentioned earlier you can pick that up on the back end. If you want to spend money on chome and accessories you can do that, but you don't need to. IMHO

It's always the same old b/s

how come its got a cassette deck and not a cd player after 10 years?

Hello!! they put the 6 disc changer from an accessorie to standard equiptment

whats the problem? do you want to change the cd in the dash while doing 60 mph?

for kripes sake you have the option to swap cds at a flip of a switch...good grief whats the problem? and then just to show yerass ya turn the cassette into a hole to put your junk!.... wtf? you dont have enough luggage space on your rsv?? cmon!!

ya want fuel injection?? what for? the carbs work great and ya don't need a 10k machine to adjust them whenever ya want to.... go buy a wing or a harley or a skateboard for that matter and quitcherbichen.... they all have problems and they all break

oh.. and by the way .. drive safe and have a nice day:big-grin-emoticon:

It's always the same old b/s

how come its got a cassette deck and not a cd player after 10 years?

Hello!! they put the 6 disc changer from an accessorie to standard equiptment

whats the problem? do you want to change the cd in the dash while doing 60 mph?

for kripes sake you have the option to swap cds at a flip of a switch...good grief whats the problem? and then just to show yerass ya turn the cassette into a hole to put your junk!.... wtf? you dont have enough luggage space on your rsv?? cmon!!

ya want fuel injection?? what for? the carbs work great and ya don't need a 10k machine to adjust them whenever ya want to.... go buy a wing or a harley or a skateboard for that matter and quitcherbichen.... they all have problems and they all break

oh.. and by the way .. drive safe and have a nice day:big-grin-emoticon:

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

I thought Yamaha had a brilliant idea...getting rid of all those obsolete CD changers by making them standard equipment and charging more for the bike. :mo money: There are many of them for sale on e-bay now.

Thanks Mad Max or EUSA1, for a moment of truth.

:farmer: