I have ordered this with the Midland 75-822.

http://www.wearecb.com/store/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Riderlink&search_in_description=&x=8&y=12

Not sure yet, other than putting them in my pocket, how/where I'm going to mount it.

They also sell the 75-822.

http://www.wearecb.com/store/midland-75-822-ultra-compact-cb-radio-mobile-adapter-p-789.html

They have about the best price I can find on both units...

• 1 month later...

Shipper, I'm sure you don't want to spend more money, but I would go with a J&M unit. I installed one on my wife's RSTD four years ago and I works great. We tried other makes but J&M is the best. You can also order directly from J&M

How much do you want to spend? Why have a look at J+M's handlebar mounted CB. Uses a headset though, but you can plug your mp player into it.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM%2DJMCB2003%2DSL

Dr_bar has/had one like this on his Valkyrie. It seemed to work pretty well and if I recall correctly he was quite happy with it. Keep us posted on what you do :)

Hi, I am new to this site and just read your post about CBs. For years I have been using a Cobra 45WX that looks very much like the Midland you are looking at. It has a lot of options like scan, 10 weather channels and 8 channel memory but basically I just use it to communicate with the people I am riding with. The beauty of this unit is that if you remove the battery pack it is only about 3 1/2" tall and is easy to mount on the handlebars. I use the 12 volt adapter that I plug into a 12 volt power supply (cigarette lighter socket)

Make sure the unit you buy has jacks for remote headphones and microphone so you can attach cords to your headset and microphone. My headset is earphones from an old Walkman and my microphone is from an old tape recorder. Any microphone will work as long as it is a dynamic mike. I run 2 cords to my helmet, one for the earphones and one for the mike and use the stereo jacks for connectors.

My push-to-talk is a button that is on a velcro strap that fastens around the handlebar grip.

I just use the antenna that comes with the unit on my Royal Star which gives a range of about a mile, plenty far enough to talk to the group I am riding with. When I used this CB on my 85 VR I had a 3' antenna which gave a greater range. The whole system can be put on or removed in about 3 minutes and can be moved from bike to bike.

I first tried it using a combination mike/speaker with a Push-to-talk button built in that clipped to my collar (like some cops use with their radios) so I could wear a half helmet but the volume of the speaker wasn't loud enough at highway speeds. Had to go to a 3/4 helmet with headsets.

I ride with Goldwings, Valkyries and RSVs and my hand-held unit has always worked as well as their built-ins except they probably have greater range with their antennas.

Sorry, this got kind of long but a hand-held is a viable and much cheaper option.

Good luck

Doug

Hi Randy, this has worked very well for me. With all the other communication devices out there today CBs are not as popular as they were and you can often find them in pawn shops and 2nd hand stores. I paid $25 for mine and probably have another $25 invested in my headset, PTT switch and wiring. That includes buying a $15 multiple-voltage power supply that I use for a Walkman for tunes when not using the CB. If you're just using the CB a 12 volt adapter usually comes with it. Pretty good for 50 bucks.

Doug