IGNORED

LUCAS Oil Additive

Has anyone heard or seen any issues of using Lucas Oil stabilizer in their 10W40 oil on the Venture? I've had several people tell me it's worth the while to add in, about 20% of the fluid for an oil change.

I'm soon ready to do an oil change (BelRay 10W40) and wondering if it's worth the while. I can get it from a buddy at a good price so I'm not going to be spending a lot on it, but don't know if it will be detrimental to the bike or not..

I've just put a new HD clutch kit in the bike and getting ready to go on a road trip at the end of the week..

I have used Lucas in my vehicles and have had success, especially with minor transmission slippage etc. Therefore I added about 1/2 litre to my Kawasaki Nomad to "smoothen out" the shifting etc. Not a good idea. The clutch went out in about 2500 miles.

As the bike mechanic who fixed my clutch said, "never, never, never in a wet clutch" should you add something like Lucas.

Just my experience. thx

I have used Lucas in my vehicles and have had success, especially with minor transmission slippage etc. Therefore I added about 1/2 litre to my Kawasaki Nomad to "smoothen out" the shifting etc. Not a good idea. The clutch went out in about 2500 miles.

As the bike mechanic who fixed my clutch said, "never, never, never in a wet clutch" should you add something like Lucas.

Just my experience. thx

Thanks M8.. I was leary of it to start but thought best to ask.. Just that Lucas oils are 'car' stuff.. and not necessarily for bikes, the stuff don't mix ya know?

Two nay sayers is enough for me.. Besides, shouldn't an oil stand on it's own without the need of additives???

Cheers

I'VE been running lucas in mine for years, no problems.

But your right a premium oil alone, with reg oil and filter, changes should give long engine life.

I run lucas because it quiets the trans, but I suspect that those that have added lucas and then the clutch fails is because the clutch was about to fail anyway.

My valkyrie has had lucas in it since the second oil change, with no problems, but I run synthetic lucas and syn oil. Dino lucas and oil may have a different outcome.

Gregg

I'VE been running lucas in mine for years, no problems.

But your right a premium oil alone, with reg oil and filter, changes should give long engine life.

I run lucas because it quiets the trans, but I suspect that those that have added lucas and then the clutch fails is because the clutch was about to fail anyway.

My valkyrie has had lucas in it since the second oil change, with no problems, but I run synthetic lucas and syn oil. Dino lucas and oil may have a different outcome.

Gregg

yeah, I've JUST changed my clutch at 47,000+ miles.. I certainly don't want to risk anything.. When I get back I may be looking at going to synthetic oils.. or not.. lol.. I'm putting so many miles on this bike that I end up doing a lot of oil changes.. And I don't have a lot of options as to what to use.. yamalube ($10 a litre) or BelRay ($7 a litre)

• 1 month later...

After doing some research about Lucas I decided to give it a try. The reason why some of you may have had problems with Lucas is because you added too much. Lucas is wet clutch friendly if you follow directions. On the back of the bottle where the directions are a 10% ratio is suggested for motorcycles with wet clutches. At 64 ounces to an oil change that means that no more than 6.4 ounces should be added. That means that when I change my oil I put in 57.6 ounces of oil and then top it off with the 6.4 ounces of Lucas. I read one thread where someone put in half a litre. Wow is that asking for problems. Guys as my wife often asks me "did you read the directions?". Before I begin dumping a bunch of stuff in my engine I am going to stringently follow directions. Anything beyond that and you're asking for it. I am sorry to hear of anyone having problems especially when it is self-inflicted and unnecessary.:fiddle: I screwed up on my math. It should be 128 ounces to an oil change being that there is 32 ounces to a quart. This means that I only added 5% of the recommended amount instead of 10%. One thing about it-I would rather be 5% under instead of 5% over.:whistling:

Edited by dutch
My math on the quantities was wrong

Personally I would never use the stuff. I have seen it run in a gear box with a clear plate on it, and it tends to foam a lot. Air in oil is very bad, as it significantly reduces the amount of actual oil that gets pumped between two surfaces (think of a soap bubble vs a drop of soap).

I do not know if it would foam as much in an engine instead of a gear box, but for us, it makes no difference - our engine INCLUDES the gear box.

Goose

Just my 2 cents worth, today's oils are far removed from the days of STP especially industrial quality oils like BelRay, DuBois, Whitmore and my fav. Schaeffer. They are formulated to provide the best protection for todays needs. There is NO reason to expect any added protection with an additive. An additional concern is that by using an additive, one would compromise the oils formula and could actually cause more harm than good. Since you are choosing an industrial quality oil, BelRay, use it and it alone. Feel free to contact tech support of your choice, speak to the lab tech and ask them about additives.

Renne

5yr. rep. for Schaeffer

I used the lucas 20w-50 motorcycle oil and let me tell ya it "SUCKED".. shifting was very labored the engine seemed noisier... dumped it after 200 miles and went back to the amsoil, smooth as silk....:guitarist 2:

I use it in my Dual Sport and love it! I was thinking of putting it in the Venture but I'm having 2nd thoughts now. :think:

When Caterpillar first came out with the ACERT engine in big trucks, a lot of customers were complaining about oil temps. Lucas had just come out with the synthetic additive. I had a couple customers try it out and said their oil temps dropped 20 degrees.

The manager tried the synthetic in his Z71 pickup with umpteen million miles on it and it stopped the lifter chatter that plagued that particular series of engines.

I've used Lucas in cars and pickups, but I do not use it in the motorcycle.

i've always read and believe that oil additives are not needed in an engine that is healthy and using a name brand oil that meets the manufacturer's recommendations

Well suffice to say that my last oil change with AMSOIL will be my last due to the costs.. wow.. that was an expensive oil change.. $20 a bottle plus filter.. taxes comes up to over $114 CDN.. I called to see if I can buy it online from AMSOIL and after shipping and taxes it's even more expensive..

For synthetic oil, we've found that the Kawasaki brand of synthetic oil is only $10 a bottle with taxes.. now that makes more sense.. I made the joking comment a couple of time of "gees, if it's that inexpensive compared to amsoil it can't be any good".. the looks and comments back that I get from the mechanics indicates that for the price, it's an awesome oil and possibly no different than other brands.. it's all in the formulation and additives after all, then it's packaging. (dunno it's that entirely 100% true but how I feel about it..)

Next oil change will be with the Kawasaki synthetic oil..

I'm still looking into that MotorKote someone mentioned earlier in another thread.. I had previously dismissed it due to some negative comments I read online about it.. but after chatting with people who use it all the time, I'm sorta leaning towards giving it a try..

Picking the bike up today after getting black steel braided lines installed (brake/clutch/throttle) and hope to get it back here before the wet snow flies.. brr..

Well suffice to say that my last oil change with AMSOIL will be my last due to the costs.. wow.. that was an expensive oil change.. $20 a bottle plus filter.. taxes comes up to over $114 CDN.. I called to see if I can buy it online from AMSOIL and after shipping and taxes it's even more expensive..

For synthetic oil, we've found that the Kawasaki brand of synthetic oil is only $10 a bottle with taxes..snipped .

Many people forget or do not realize that Amsoil (while it is a quality oil no worse than any other) is sold through multi-level marketing. MLM schemes do greatly inflate the price of a product. So while you are getting a good product , you are paying many people in the food chain . Sticking with a regular manufacturer brand or something like BelRay means all that additional expense is not there. Its a shame they chose to build their comany that way (imho). Here is the basic breakdown as directly explained by amsoil to prospective dealers. As with all MLM schemes (INMHO) there are too many people in the foodchain taking profit. :

Earn profits through retail sales. As an AMSOIL Dealer, you purchase AMSOIL products at Dealer cost and then sell them at the suggested retail price. Your income starts building immediately with retail profits!

You also earn monthly commissions on your purchases from AMSOIL. You get extra profits with AMSOIL commissions. Every AMSOIL product you purchase has a commission value, known as Commission Credits. At the end of each month, your commissions are calculated and AMSOIL sends you a check, based on the AMSOIL Commission Credit Schedule. (Minimum total monthly volume to receive a commission is 100 commission credits.)

Earn profits with catalog sales. You can also sell AMSOIL products with the AMSOIL Retail Catalog Program. Catalogs can be purchased directly from AMSOIL and then distributed to potential AMSOIL customers. Once the catalogs are in the hands of your potential customers, any sales made will earn you retail profits and commission credits automatically. Order taking, shipping, and returns are all handled by AMSOIL INC.

Earn retail profits and commission credits with online commerce. The AMSOIL Online Store offers customers the convenience of ordering AMSOIL products over the Internet. As in the Retail Catalog Sales Program, products are sold at suggested retail price and AMSOIL Dealers earn the retail profits and commission credits. Order taking, shipping and returns are all handled by AMSOIL INC. AMSOIL also offers website packages and other options that allow all Dealers, regardless of computer experience or equipment, to participate in Internet sales.

Multiply your profits by building and managing your own sales group. When you sponsor new Dealers and Preferred Customers (just like you would be sponsored as a Dealer) you are building a "downline group." The commission value of your group's purchases is added to yours, increasing the percentage of your commission and giving you a bigger commission check. The primary difference between Dealers and Preferred Customers is the right to earn commissions. Dealers earn commission checks based upon their commission credits and the commission schedule. Preferred Customers do not earn commission. All commission credits earned by Preferred Customers are credited to the sponsoring Dealer.

Commercial accounts are a great opportunity for AMSOIL sales. Earn 10% cash commissions plus 20% commission credits.* Commercial accounts can provide a steady source of income for an AMSOIL Dealer. Commercial accounts are businesses which have company-owned vehicles, equipment and machinery that use the quality lubricants and filters available in the AMSOIL product line. These accounts do not sell AMSOIL products, but choose to use them in their equipment and machinery. When you register a commercial account, you earn a 10% cash commission on every purchase your account makes. In addition, you also receive 20% of their purchases as commission credits which are applied to the commission schedule and added to your commission totals.

More profits in retail markets. Earn 20% cash commissions plus 20% commission credits.* Selling AMSOIL to retail accounts is another way to earn commissions. Retail accounts are retail outlets such as auto parts stores, motorcycle dealerships and automotive service centers. These stores stock AMSOIL products to sell to their customers or install AMSOIL products as part of a service such as with oil changes. When you sign up a retail account, you earn a cash commission on every purchase your account makes. If your retail accounts purchase XL 7500 motor oils and Hastings Filters, you will receive 15% cash commissions. All other purchases earn 20% cash commissions. In addition, you receive 20% of their purchases as commission credits which are applied to the commission schedule and added to your commission totals.

• 2 weeks later...
i've always read and believe that oil additives are not needed in an engine that is healthy and using a name brand oil that meets the manufacturer's recommendations

A high quality oil is enough, I just use the lucas in the proper mix, to quiet the valkyrie tranny and makes it shift better. I do use mobil one 15-50 syn. and syn lucas.

I use it all my bikes, have never had clutch problems, but I don't ride the clutch either.

But there I a million different opinions on oil, I would not give you a dime for all the AMSOIL ever made, it is over priced hype.