IGNORED

Road King Point Of No Return

I installed the Road King pipes on my 06 RSTD about a month ago. Like many others, I quickly realized they didn't make much of a difference in the sound level. So I did the first modification of drilling the four holes in the forward baffle plates. That did make a bit of a difference and they do sound quite nice at idle or when I wind her up. But they still aren't quite loud enough for me. I have been debating about drilling out the rear baffle plate with the hole saw (mod # 2), but realize that if I do and my neighbours start circulating petitions up and down our street my only option will be to go back to the OEM pipes and start searching on ebay again. What can I say, I'm a considerate person.

I would like to hear from anyone who has gone from the first mod to the second mod to get an idea if this makes a significant difference in the sound level while the bike is warming up at idle in your driveway, and if the noise level is high enough to become irritating on long trips before I start cutting.:shock3:

Even if you take both baffle plates out, it still wont be like strait pipes. I would start my bike up outside at 4:45am and just leave enough choke on to keep it at about 1700rpms. Ease into the gears slowly while accelerating and my neighbors never woke up, I ask them if the hear me. I think you'll be alright with the sound, they really dont bark until you get into the throttle heavy.

I drilled all the baffles out at once. It's not a lot louder when idling or warming up with a bit of choke. They are a bit louder at highway cruise and definately louder driving around the city streets but they really BARK good when you get on the throttle. Personally I don't find the sound bothersome at cruising speed and a week ago I did a little over 1250 km's (appx 775 or so miles) and I liked the sound...wasn't bothersome at all whereas before I drilled the baffles out, it was somewhat bothersome simply because the sound seemed to be coming from below me rather than behind me...which is what it is now. I like the "bark" they make when I crank it on. Too bad you can't ride someone's scoot that has theirs drilled out. One of the other guys from around here called me the other day to ask if he could come and hear mine and I will let him ride it coz you really can't know what it will be like until you're riding it. I do feel; however, that the RK's with the baffles drilled out have somewhat of a harsher sound than, say, a set of Bub's or Kromewerks. But, for $50 for the RK's, I ain't complaining.

Years ago I had a set of Jardine's on my '85. I found them to be bothersome on a long ride. Frankly, the clutch whine bothers me more than any muffler sound.

Hope this helps ya.

Even if you take both baffle plates out, it still wont be like strait pipes. I would start my bike up outside at 4:45am and just leave enough choke on to keep it at about 1700rpms. Ease into the gears slowly while accelerating and my neighbors never woke up, I ask them if the hear me. I think you'll be alright with the sound, they really dont bark until you get into the throttle heavy.

So, 4:45 hey! And I thought 8 A.M. was early. :doh:Thanks for the info.

I drilled all the baffles out at once. It's not a lot louder when idling or warming up with a bit of choke. They are a bit louder at highway cruise and definately louder driving around the city streets but they really BARK good when you get on the throttle. Personally I don't find the sound bothersome at cruising speed and a week ago I did a little over 1250 km's (appx 775 or so miles) and I liked the sound...wasn't bothersome at all whereas before I drilled the baffles out, it was somewhat bothersome simply because the sound seemed to be coming from below me rather than behind me...which is what it is now. I like the "bark" they make when I crank it on. Too bad you can't ride someone's scoot that has theirs drilled out. One of the other guys from around here called me the other day to ask if he could come and hear mine and I will let him ride it coz you really can't know what it will be like until you're riding it. I do feel; however, that the RK's with the baffles drilled out have somewhat of a harsher sound than, say, a set of Bub's or Kromewerks. But, for $50 for the RK's, I ain't complaining.

Years ago I had a set of Jardine's on my '85. I found them to be bothersome on a long ride. Frankly, the clutch whine bothers me more than any muffler sound.

Hope this helps ya.

Thanks SilvrT, I'll probably take the next step and hole saw the rear plate.:stirthepot:

if your looking for your choice of RK mufflers, forward slash/ reverse slash, side slash,straight cut and a quality piece...take a moment to look at the link i provided. you order the muffler of your choice and the loudness of your choice (removable baffles). i purcased my over a year ago and when i want really loud i take the baffles out, otherwise it has quite a bark with the baffles i ordered.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WILD-PIG-PIPES-SLIP-ON-MUFFLERS-FOR-HARLEY-DRESSERS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1240Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem41477ca8fbQQitemZ280372226299QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Here'a a pic of my 07 RSTD MIdnight

http://i31.tinypic.com/245d8ac.jpg

I have a set on my Venture and they sound awesome indeed. Roadkill had Squid do his magic when he had it. not bad at idle little rumble but not much, above idle not bad either but open up the Venture and its a sounds like a wild beast. A guy I work with, Loves the Road kings so much he wants to buy the venture from me. I'm just wanting on his better half to say YES..

I took that next step (or leap of faith) and hole sawed the end plates on my Road Kings tonight. Cost me twenty to get a welder to weld a rod to the end of my hole saw mandrel because nobody around here seems to carry bit extensions anymore. The job took less than ten minutes and fortunately both of the plates came out of the mufflers on the end of the hole saw so no fishing was required.

I am quite pleased with the results. There is definately a deeper tone to the exhaust at idle, but not excessively loud. I went for a short toot and wound her up a couple of times including a short stretch on the highway. Datsa nice!!! It now sounds more like a motorcycle and less like a four cylinder sewing machine. However, I would agree that they are not excessively loud or offensive. Hopefully my neighbours will too!

I think I have reached my limit. Don't see any need to drill out that middle baffle plate as I don't see any need to make it any louder.:bluesbrother:

Edited by ManWithAVision
typo

• 1 month later...
if your looking for your choice of RK mufflers, forward slash/ reverse slash, side slash,straight cut and a quality piece...take a moment to look at the link i provided. you order the muffler of your choice and the loudness of your choice (removable baffles). i purcased my over a year ago and when i want really loud i take the baffles out, otherwise it has quite a bark with the baffles i ordered.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WILD-PIG-PIPES-SLIP-ON-MUFFLERS-FOR-HARLEY-DRESSERS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1240Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem41477ca8fbQQitemZ280372226299QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Here'a a pic of my 07 RSTD MIdnight

http://i31.tinypic.com/245d8ac.jpg

Hey naturbar . . . nice bike. I just purchased an '06 RSTD with Venture trunk and great Corbin seat. I notice your bike has a windshield fairing. Where does one go to get one of those? Does it replace the OEM windshield without complicated modifications. I'm seeking guidance if you have the time. Thanks.

kingtut

picture.php?albumid=509&pictureid=3122

kingtut,

the fairing is by Hoppe Industries, i purchased mine from Phat Performance several months ago. it has a really nice stereo with four speakers, you can purchase windshield in various heights and tints. it really is very easy to install and isn't actually 'detachable' like the stock windshield but it would take probably five minutes to remove the four screws which hold it in place. here is another view of the fairing.....i have since painted it to match the bike and added a chrome bezel across the lip that is closest to windshield ( it is fiberglass gelcoat finished from the maunufacturer). let me know if i can offer more assistance.

buz

http://i35.tinypic.com/2samq1x.jpg

Thanks, Buz. I may just see what Phat Performance wants for one. In the meantime, I'm having problems with handlebars. I posted the following on another threat:

I don't think you can install a riser on an RSTD, because of the way the speedo is mounted. I replaced my bars with a set of Flanders bars with a longer pull back and didn't have to get longer cables/hoses.

I looked into a riser before I bought the bars, and didn't find anyone who made one.

I'm totally confused. Several folks on this forum said they replaced the stock handlebars on their 2nd Generation RSTD with the Flanders G2, part no. 650-08763. That exact bar arrived from Phat Performance today and I immediately went down to my service guy to replace the stock bar. When he took the speedo off we compared the bars and there is NO WAY the speedometer will fit back over the top of the Flanders G2 bar because the center of the bar is a full 2" narrower than the stock bar, hence the speedo will not fit back over the top of it.

For those who have said on this forum that they fit the Flanders G2 on a 2006 RSTD: what did you do with the speedometer? No one ever mentioned have to make any adjustments to remount the speedo, but the tech and service manager both confirmed that there was no way it would fit inside the narrow center dimension of the G2.

Anybody out there know what to do? I REALLY need some more pullback on the bike, and thought this would do it. I e-mailed Flanders and even they said the 650-08763 was the bar for the RSTD. But I don't know what they figured a fellow is supposed to do with the speedometer. Maybe they're all thinking about a Venture, where the speedometer placement isn't a problem.

Help!!!

Another question: how does one start a new thread on this forum? I can't find any button anywhere to click that says "new thread."

Also, my RSTD has a light bar. Would the Hoppe fairing fit with a light bar?

Edited by kingtut
Forgot something.

I have a set on my Venture and they sound awesome indeed. Roadkill had Squid do his magic when he had it. not bad at idle little rumble but not much, above idle not bad either but open up the Venture and its a sounds like a wild beast. A guy I work with, Loves the Road kings so much he wants to buy the venture from me. I'm just wanting on his better half to say YES..

Will you be ventureless then??:whistling:

kingtut,

" Another question: how does one start a new thread on this forum? I can't find any button anywhere to click that says "new thread.".......

click on the 'Forum' icon....then scroll down to "royal star and royal star tour deluxe tech talk" and click on that.. it will take you to the forum...at top left of forum you will see "new thread"....click on it and viola you are ready to post....good luck !

Thanks, Buz. I may just see what Phat Performance wants for one. In the meantime, I'm having problems with handlebars. I posted the following on another threat:

I'm totally confused. Several folks on this forum said they replaced the stock handlebars on their 2nd Generation RSTD with the Flanders G2, part no. 650-08763. That exact bar arrived from Phat Performance today and I immediately went down to my service guy to replace the stock bar. When he took the speedo off we compared the bars and there is NO WAY the speedometer will fit back over the top of the Flanders G2 bar because the center of the bar is a full 2" narrower than the stock bar, hence the speedo will not fit back over the top of it.

For those who have said on this forum that they fit the Flanders G2 on a 2006 RSTD: what did you do with the speedometer? No one ever mentioned have to make any adjustments to remount the speedo, but the tech and service manager both confirmed that there was no way it would fit inside the narrow center dimension of the G2.

Anybody out there know what to do? I REALLY need some more pullback on the bike, and thought this would do it. I e-mailed Flanders and even they said the 650-08763 was the bar for the RSTD. But I don't know what they figured a fellow is supposed to do with the speedometer. Maybe they're all thinking about a Venture, where the speedometer placement isn't a problem.

Help!!!

Another question: how does one start a new thread on this forum? I can't find any button anywhere to click that says "new thread."

Also, my RSTD has a light bar. Would the Hoppe fairing fit with a light bar?