IGNORED

New Avons, have questions.

Hello to all;

Purchased Avon Venoms last Sunday evening from SWMoto Tires (internetpurchase), had them in my hands here in NY on Tuesday 3:pm. Cannot say enough about that. Brought them to get mounted/balanced, and a few questions came up from my MotoMechanic.

* No clearly marked spot on the tire for the approximate location for the valve stem to be placed(I think signifying the heavy point of the tire?)?

* Could not seem to identify the date of manufacturing?

(Generally, my mechanic seemed to be somewhat disillusioned about making a tire purchase via the internet. I am also aware that the local dudes do not get a chance to make a few dollars on the sale themselves.)

These questions prompted me to make a couple of phone calls to SWMoto Tires. Here is what I just found out, maybe some or all knew this. South West Moto Tires is owned by Arizona Honda - Dealership. Their direct phone number is 1 800 892 2089. The fella I spoke with, his name was Eric. Very helpfull. I had him pull a couple of ties to see what the general date of manufacturing was from the lot of tires on the shelf. The dates he had on the shelf were from week:22 of year:08. I confirmed this information with my mechanic, same as the ones I received. Next question:

Is this a normal amount of time which tires are in que before actual use? 2208 is June of 08 to now = 14 months old on the shelf.? Please advise if possible, share your story.

Thanks very much for your time and input. It is always appreciated. Till next time, ride safe. If all else fails, look up...smile...and give thanks! Caio4Now.

Ricardo.

I spoke with an Avon rep a few months ago when I was dealing with some issues I had with the Avons and I asked about the marked spot on the tire. The rep told me (and it could have been a line of b.s. but this is what he said) that they purposely do not mark the tires which is supposed to encourage a proper balance after the tire is mounted. Again, this could have been just a line of b.s. BUT I guess it maybe has potential to make a little sense... :confused24:

Although the rear one I had that was replaced had the dot on it - so maybe someone else will chime in with a real answer.

The manufacture date is a 4 digit number in an oval somewhere on the sidewall of the tire following the DOT code - I have attached a picture showing it, although it may be a little difficult to see in the photo itself (when I get home in a little while I can take a better picture if you would like... This is just what I have on my computer).

As far as how long the tires sit in a warehouse before they get mounted, all I can share with you is my personal experience. The first set of Avons that were on my bike the previous owner had put on right before I picked the bike up (I have the paperwork showing when he purchaced and mounted the tires, at the dealer) and the tires were 3.5 years old at that time. Both of those tires have been replaced [by Avon] under warranty due to the sidewall cracks that only showed up AFTER the tires had been mounted (ie. the tires were perfect when I picked them up and within a few weeks - well you can see what the sidewal looked like in the photo) - The replacements are both from early 2008 and these replacements happend 1 and 3 months ago (rear/front respectively).

On another bike that I have, I put a set on that had a date stamp of just a few weeks old. So this is my experience... All of the tires before these, I had never thought to look at the date code, I had incorrectly assumed that I bought new tires that were, well... new.

As far as you getting poopooed for purchasing your tires on the internet - I just as soon not tell the folks where the tires come from or tell them if they match the price I'll buy from them. And if it is really that big of a deal to them, take your business elsewhere. LOTS of places mount and balance tires.

(I have found that my local honda dealership can actually get the tires that I want cheaper than I have found them anywhere - by a longshot; so I go to them).

Hope this helps!

by the way, you'll want to take it easy on those until you get them scuffed in - they are pretty slick right away... Don't ask me how I know :yikes:

Ricardo,

It's not uncommon for a tire to sit around for a little while. Depending upon how the tires are rotated out of the warehouse, your could just be the luck of the draw. As long as they were stored properly, you should be too concerned with the 14 months. I know your thinking that you dont know how they were stored, I have no good responce for that.

I have mounted LOTS of Avons on members bikes as I have a friend that owns a Honda dealership. If a tire takes what I believe a lot of weight I will break it back down and rotate it and try it again. A good tireman will do this also as not all tires and rims are the same. I wouldn't worry a lot about it, be careful to scuff them in and go out and enjoy the new bike :happy34:

My brother just had a set of Avons mounted on his Honda VTX1300 and the rear took a massive amount of weight (don't recall amount) on both sides of the rim.....he contacted the Avon rep and they are sending him a new tire. Said it was not normal.....kinda makes ya wonder! I have had no problems with mine.

Keith

Well.....Just got my Avons in this week and am getting ready to mount them. checked the date code and it's 3307. This means it was made, in England, in 2007? My tire is 2 years old and hasn't even been mounted yet. Me thinks I will put it on. However I have a Suzuki C50 and I am replacing both the tires on it because they are "aged." I didn't check the date on the tire I have on the rear of the RSV now but I will look at it when I take it off. I was thinking I got both tires from the same place.

????????????

I wouldn't worry about the age. Just keep an eye on them. If anything on them starts to go south, call Avon up (or send them an e-mail) and say you'd like them replaced under warranty and they will take care of you (may be prorated depending on the mileage).

Enjoy!

Busta, I just put new Avons on my RSV that i bought from Competition Accessories in Ohio. The date on the tires was oct of 08. I even went to the trouble of mounting them myself. When I got done I put Dynabeads in front and back to balance, now the bike handles and rides better than the day I rode it home this spring from the dealer. Couldn't be happier.:12101:

Hey Fellow & Lady Venturers,

I want to thank you folks for the feedback. Especially the part about them being very slick :yikes: to the road when new. I will be sure to scuff them up before going for a ride. I did verify the date code Rear: 4408 / Front: 4608. I was happy to see that these were from an even newer lot, than back at SWMoto Whse. The shoes are mounted and balanced, assembly on Sunday :thumbsup2: . Cannot wait to be back on the road. Thanks again for all the information share. Till next time, ride safe.

Ricardo

aka - "Busta"

Almost every time I have bought new tires I have been cautioned to be careful on turns and acceleration for the first 50 or so miles. It has to do with the residue left on the tires in the manufacturing process. Generally after 50 or so miles you should be good.

If you do a search I think you will find a few members that have had problems with these tires and many that think that these tires are the best. My back tire was replaced due to cracking, on one side, next to the rim after 300 miles. It was manufactured in 08.

No problems with the replacement.

The Avon rep here also claims that the tires have no mark to encourage proper balancing. He further stated that Avon recommends that the tire be dismounted and rotated if it requires more than 2 oz of weight.

I check balance on alloy rims before mounting the tire. I find that about 50% of the time the heavy spot is not at the valve stem and mount the tire accordingly. It's not unusual for an alloy rim to be out by more than an ounce. In general my experience is that the tires are less out of balance than the rims are.

I often see internet purchased tires that are over two years old. One customer got a tire that was three years old from one of the well regarded internet sellers. If the tires I get from my distributer were any fresher they'd still be warm.

The run in period on new tires is to wear off the release compound from the mold and to give you a chance to become familiar with the new "edge". I mounted a new set of Venoms for a friend who had worn his old tires to a square profile riding on the freeway. He almost took out his mailbox leaving the driveway because the new tires turned the bike smartly with the input he was used to using for a gentle turn. Most manufacturers recommend 100 miles before you ride aggressively on them.

Edited by MiCarl