IGNORED

finally built my own trailer

Vanantwerp

Guest Swifty

me thinks you could set up an assembly line for that one and have enough takers. Exactly the kind of idea I've always had with no skill to do it.

Guest wrench

Very cool, nice and low slung. I really like the large diameter tires too. I'd had thoughts of building one myself but with the price of polished alum plate going thru the roof I opted for the Harbor Freight route. Finally got everything finished up on mine this weekend. Took it for a short ride to get a feel for pulling a trailer, no problem, with it empty you don't even notice it's back there.

GREAT JOB!!! I've had designs to build my own trailer too, and one thing I definately planned on using was 19" MC tyres (like you've used here.)

I ended up buying insted of building, and I'm now onto my 2nd camper trailer (Kwik-Kamp), which I absolutly LOVE...except for the those tiny, tiny, tyres! That's just about the only thing I'd change on this thing...and I can't go much bigger...wheel wells won't allow it :(

Guest tx2sturgis

The frame unit looks VERY good.... engineered well......but I feel like I should point something out.

You will find that motorcycle tires on a trailer that does not lean provide less than optimum traction and tread life. You might want to look into some of the older classic (vintage) motorcycle tires that have a more squared off profile. They are still available for people who restore classic iron, British and American.

Something similar to this might do the trick:

http://store.coker.com/350-16-firestone-deluxe-champion-blackwall-tire.html

For now, be sure to dump some air from the maximum rated air pressure.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Thank you for the replies. Already thought about lower the air pressure in the tires to make them more stable. Still trying to run wiring for lights and put carpet in the box. Doing things like this day in and day out in a fab shop is easy for me. By the way, this is not my garage. It is a friends airplane hanger/racecar shop. Thanks again.

Pulled it around sat. about 50 miles. Pulls great handles corners well even empty. Still need to get my tires on and it will be ready for our trip in two weeks. Will post back after longer trip with it to see what what I need to do on the next one I build.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally have new tires put on, cooler rack on the front, and carpet laid inside. Pulls very well up to 70 mph, even with wife on the back. Had to tighten the steering head bearings. Ready for trip north next week.

p.s. this is his wife typing this and now I get to take all I want. Yeah!!!!!!!!

Nice job Vanantwerp!!! And I like how far you set back the axle.

The previous owner of my Kwik-Kamp (who sold them nationally for many years) replaced the factory alxe with a torsion bar axle, and set it 4" farther back to get more tongue weight on it. Now it pulls perfectly!!!

Enjoy that extra space....it won't last long! :rotf:

BTW...is that Seymour, WIS???

Something to think about...

10 years ago or so, I had one of those diamond plate tool boxes in the back of my pu truck to carry tools, etc..

Anyhow, after a while, the aluminum started to oxidize some and got 'black' dust all over everything.

I ended up getting rid of the truck, but if I had another one of those boxes, I would glue carpeting over every surface in the box - not just the floor.

craigr

I put carpet all the way around inside and lid. Yes I did use one stock axle and made the other one. Yes they are welded on the top of the a arms. I had to make spacers for the side that had the speedo housing. The way I have the axles setup there is hardly any way they could bend. I tested this by standing in middle of the box and bouncing it I weight around 290. So I hope every thing holds up the trip. Leaving in the morning going north around Lake Mich. No it is Seymour,In. thanks for the replies. When i get back i ti works okay i will post more detailed pics of the trailer.

Well it was doing fine until yesterday. One of the support braces broke for the fender on the right side. The tubing broke not the weld. We where outside of Balwin,MI. when it broke. We was looking for somebody with welder on a Sunday that was not easy. But I put a bungee around it to get on down the road. Had'nt went 3 mile and my buddies wife that is on trip with seen a place called House of Choppers in Balwin. Turned around and got the guy just leave. He got his welder out to the parking lot and let me weld it up. So I put some extra welds around all the bracing. He said he didnt want anything for the use for the welder but maybe some basic drawing for the trailer i built. I will email he some when we get home. They was thanking about building some kind of trailer this winter to maybe sell. The trailer handles really well does not sway,bounce, or really anything.We have almost 700 miles on it and a lot more to go.