IGNORED

valve adjustment schedule

gunkylump

I've got 58,000 miles on and it still sounds fine(Just ask RedRider) and runs fine, so I'll wait a while.

Later, Scooter Bob

Sounds fine ??

Now, do you know how a burnt Valve or Hole in the Piston sounds like ??

You won't hear anything unusual until something bad happens.

Sounds fine ??

Good point. I have 55k on mine. I got the bike with 32k and I've never done an adjustment. Probably wouldn't hurt. Anyone in the Atlanta or surrounding area have the kit and time to help me? I'll ride to you and buy the beer.

Good point. I have 55k on mine. I got the bike with 32k and I've never done an adjustment. Probably wouldn't hurt. Anyone in the Atlanta or surrounding area have the kit and time to help me? I'll ride to you and buy the beer.

I have a kit of shims and the tool. Just got the shims yesterday. I haven't adjusted the valves on my bike yet (at 8,000 miles), but used to do this on some older machines.

I'll clean off a spot on my carport if you want to work here.

I hope you are kidding. I have 93,000 on my 2 nd Gen and checked my valves to spec. with nothing out of spec. Massive death? What Yamaha V4 has ever died a massive death? Enlighten me if you can back up your claim. Ride safe Rod

I have a kit of shims and the tool. Just got the shims yesterday. I haven't adjusted the valves on my bike yet (at 8,000 miles), but used to do this on some older machines.

I'll clean off a spot on my carport if you want to work here.

Thanks Randy. Let me know when it would be convenient and maybe we could take care of both bikes on the same day if you think you need it.

What does the yamaha book say about the interval adjustments for the valves on the engine? I'm at work and my book is at home.

thanks

gunky

I downloaded the manuals and put them on my PC at work, so I can search them electronically when I have a question.

The manuals are free in PDF format.

I've got 58,000 miles on and it still sounds fine(Just ask RedRider) and runs fine, so I'll wait a while.

Later, Scooter Bob

Sounds fine ??

To comment further...

It has very little lifter noise/clatter, almost sewing machine like. It runs smooth and fine and gets good fuel mileage(46 mpg on the two lanes). Most wear will come in the form of lobe/bucket wear and get more clearance and show up as lifter noise.

I've owned an Ironhead Sporster and a Shovelhead, both with solid lifters that needed adjusting every thousand miles or so. And, when adjusted, it was a night and day difference, easily noticeable, and I knew when they weren't right.

"Probably wouldn't hurt." It would hurt my pocketbook big time if I took it to the shop for the job(I've heard $400 or more). It's certainly nothing I wouldn't try by myself, but the nearest shop for the parts is 30 minutes away for me, I would want all the parts here ahead of time cus it's a boring ride in the truck.

I met a guy at the STAR testride booth in Sturgis in 06. He had 221,000 miles on a 99. He paid the shop to check the valves at around 36k miles, and the were all fine. He hadn't done it again.

Help me out here guys, I know I'm not the only one...

Just my $.02, Scooter Bob

Checking the clearance to determine if they are all fine isn't very complicated. Doesn't take the special tool or any shims. Just a set of wrenchs and a set of feeler gauges. Probably could be done in an hour. See the writeup that V7goose did a few weeks ago.

However, if they aren't within tolerance and you've checked them wo the tool and shims on hand, then you either need to leave it apart while you order them, or put it back together, order, wait, and then do it again. The second time will likely go faster :)

The possible consequences of the valves -maybe- being out of spec aren't pretty. I had it happen once to a Honda MC, it was a lot of time, work, & expense to get it right at that point. It was educational, however.

Hopefully I never have to use the shim tool I bought, and my heirs can play tiddly winks with the valve shims one day.

Checking the clearance to determine if they are all fine isn't very complicated. Doesn't take the special tool or any shims. Just a set of wrenchs and a set of feeler gauges. Probably could be done in an hour. See the writeup that V7goose did a few weeks ago.

However, if they aren't within tolerance and you've checked them wo the tool and shims on hand, then you either need to leave it apart while you order them, or put it back together, order, wait, and then do it again. The second time will likely go faster :)

The possible consequences of the valves -maybe- being out of spec aren't pretty. I had it happen once to a Honda MC, it was a lot of time, work, & expense to get it right at that point. It was educational, however.

Hopefully I never have to use the shim tool I bought, and my heirs can play tiddly winks with the valve shims one day.

It is NOT a 1-hour job - more like 4-6 hours without distractions. But it needs to be done.

I won't change anyone's mind here, so I'm not trying to do that, but those folks that suggest it is OK to ride 100,000 miles without a valve check are the primary reason I won't buy a used bike - few people are honest with a prospective buyer about that kind of abuse!

For those people who have not actually already decided what they are going to do (or not do), I'll suggest they read the first part of my writeup in the tech library to get an insight on why they should consider actually doing scheduled maintenance. In addition, you should understand that most modern engines have the valves TIGHTEN UP as they wear, not get loose, so there is never any noise. And since these engines run pretty danged fine on just three cylinders, you can easily ride on all four with a couple of burned valves for several hundred thousand miles and not know it. And when you DO finally discover it, well, can you say 'big bucks'? Sure you can. If the valve seats are not replaceable (and I seriously doubt they are on this engine), you better start pricing new heads now! OK, that's all I'm gonna say.

Goose

It is NOT a 1-hour job - more like 4-6 hours without distractions. But it needs to be done.

I won't change anyone's mind here, so I'm not trying to do that, but those folks that suggest it is OK to ride 100,000 miles without a valve check are the primary reason I won't buy a used bike - few people are honest with a prospective buyer about that kind of abuse!

For those people who have not actually already decided what they are going to do (or not do), I'll suggest they read the first part of my writeup in the tech library to get an insight on why they should consider actually doing scheduled maintenance. In addition, you should understand that most modern engines have the valves TIGHTEN UP as they wear, not get loose, so there is never any noise. And since these engines run pretty danged fine on just three cylinders, you can easily ride on all four with a couple of burned valves for several hundred thousand miles and not know it. And when you DO finally discover it, well, can you say 'big bucks'? Sure you can. If the valve seats are not replaceable (and I seriously doubt they are on this engine), you better start pricing new heads now! OK, that's all I'm gonna say.

Goose

If that's the case, then I am never checking mine :301: