IGNORED

Silly question on 2000 MM venture

Hey guys...

I bought my bike on ebay and I'm going to pick it up in 2 weeks... wondering about 12v DC "cigarette" ports... Does my bike have any or will I need to install for my GPS to get juice?

Sorry about the silly Q, I haven't even seen the bike in real life yet!!!

Edited by screamstone
typo

I see you live in Fl.

If you live anywhere close to Sarasota, Fl., I will be down there in Sept.

I could in-line fuse / hot wire the GPS wire harness in to your bike and you would still have the cig lighter for something else like a cell phnoe charger..or what ever.

I could also help answer any other questions yuo may have about he bike including showing you some " how to do yourself things" on it if you wish.

Send me a P-email and I''be happy to help if I can when I get down to Fl.

Yo Eck.....Why dontcha plan a 2 week stay up heah in Noo England.....I have a list of "To Do" items on my Venture that will cure you of being so darn gracious and helpful.:rotfl:

Boomer........who has no garage,no tools, but plenty of Jim Beam and neighborhood squirrels to scare.:banana:

Don't know if anyone else has experienced this but, my Sirius XM radio "cig lighter" adapter would keep coming loose from the Aux "cig lighter" outlet ... would only take a few bumps in the road and out it would come. I wired it direct inside the fairing.

This may be elementary but I am going to say it anyway since it may or may not help you out, if you find that the 12V power point (cig lighter deal) is not getting power the fuse for it is behind the front right cowling -- that is the one by your right foot while you are sitting on the bike.

You can find instructions on how to take that piece off on here or in the service manual (which is here somewhere) but it is 3 bolts and a plastic retainer that you could easily do before you take off from where you pick it up (if you are riding it back to where you will be storing it).

I had a similar problem to what SilverT had except it was my cell phone charger and I guess it was a tad deep for the power socket. My solution was simple; turn off the phone and if I needed to make a call do it on my next stop with it plugged in while I was stopped. (This obviously is not an acceptable solution for your GPS if you are looking to drive with it attached).

I am sure you will LOVE your bike. I know that I have certainly been enjoying mine. My only regret about picking up my RSV is that I did not do it sooner!!

Keep it shiny side up!!

Rick M.

Oh yea, don't be afraid to ask anything...

There is a search tool on the tool bar up top but there is so much information on here I know I have spent many many many hours searching and searching finding all sorts of good stuff (and learning a TON!) but not necessarily what I was looking for...

Yo Eck.....Why dontcha plan a 2 week stay up heah in Noo England.....I have a list of "To Do" items on my Venture that will cure you of being so darn gracious and helpful.:rotfl:

Boomer........who has no garage,no tools, but plenty of Jim Beam and neighborhood squirrels to scare.:banana:

New England??? I cant even get him to come across the state to Jacksonville.....the pansy gold wing rider.....:hurts:

If you have trouble with the adapter coming loose, most have spring sides on the male in. I have sprung them out a little which provides more force resistance against the sides of the female receptacle. I rode with mine in for 50K miles and it never came loose once.

Thanks for the info gang!

I picked up some 12v outlets to wire into the trunk to keep my camera batteries charging, and I may grab another cord for my GPS to keep it permanently wired.

If it would run off a dang USB I have a charger that plugs into the iphone AND has and extra USB outlet for charging, but my GPS goes into "download" mode with USB... I'm considering another usb unit just for the bike. prob a cheaper one than the zumos and rider 2's- I'll use a ziplock for rain and save a couple hundred bucks...

anyone know a cheaper USB powered GPS?

Thanks for the info gang!

anyone know a cheaper USB powered GPS?

First things first, what # MM RSV are you getting? Mine is #515.

Second, um, you have an iPhone............it has GPS......Google maps is free and very accurate.

So, besides recording your route, avg speed and such, why do you also need a separate GPS? Plus with the iPhone and RSV, you can plug in the audio and listen to your tunes on the road.

It's a great looking and functioning bike and I get a lot of folks complimenting the bike and asking questions..........especially when I have the golf clubs on the back!

:stickinouttounge: