IGNORED

Carb Sync

frankc

Well, i'm looking at my 08 Venture with 5k miles on it and saying it's to soon for a carb sync, it doesn't seem to run bad. But i'm going on a trip in a few weeks and it would be nice to at least check it.

So i call around the local Stealers and they want $125 and up to perform this operation. Some told me I have to leave it overnight. It was then I decided I would buy the tool and attempt to do it myself.

When the carb tool arrived, I read the instructions ( imagine that ) assembled the unit with all the hoses and was ready to go.

I next asked for help from this forum, the information a got was very descriptive and made the job soooooo easy. The pictures and explanation was right on the money. The only way it could have been easier is if one of you came to my house and made the adjustments for me!

This is a wealth of knowledge on this sight and i'm proud to be a part of it.

Well it turnes out, my carbs were way out of sync. 1&2 werent even close and both banks were out from each other. I never would have thought a new bike with 5k on it needed a carb sync.

I thought this thing ran great before, now it's a freekin rocket!! I want to thank you guys again for all the great information that enabled me to do this carb sync myself. I saved a bunch of money, I now own the tool, and the knowledge to do it myself!!

Have a safe summer, and thanks again.

Frank

Frank,

Thank you for sharing this with us. I have been a member of this group since early on and was a member of the other group before that. It is such a great thing that so many with this group really want to help other. I have had so much help and I have tried to help others when I can. And, I bet you can't wait to sync someone else's carbs and help them out.

This is really just another testament to what Freebird has put together here and has nurtured so well.

RandyA

I bought my bike last also and I thought it ran great also but had it synced under wrty twice last year by telling them I smell gas and it back fires alot, it does run better but I just bought a old mercury sync tool from a friend that only used 2 or 3 times now all I have to do is read here how to use and do it when I have time.

This is really just another testament to what Freebird has put together here and has nurtured so well.

RandyA

AND... a testament to the outstanding comeraderie of the members of this group. I have been around here for about 3 years ... Learned a lot, got a lot of help, met an awesome group of FRIENDS, and when I could, helped out others.

There's just no better than here IMHO.

:thumbsup2:

So i call around the local Stealers and they want $125 and up to perform this operation. Some told me I have to leave it overnight.

$125 for a 15 minute job that requires no supplies. And, would probably be done poorly (like at my dealer).

Good on you for tackling it yourself. And now, you have "taught yourself to fish" and are self-sufficient.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
$125 for a 15 minute job that requires no supplies. And, would probably be done poorly (like at my dealer).

Good on you for tackling it yourself. And now, you have "taught yourself to fish" and are self-sufficient.

Dave

Yeah, I recently had the dealer do a 4000 mi maintenance which included the sync'ing the carbs. Now it seems the bike is running rougher so I suspect it wasn't done properly but don't have a carbtune tool yet to confirm (ordering one).

In the interim, I wonder if anyone in the Austin, TX area who has a carbtune tool would be willing to help me check to see if indeed the dealer sync'ed my carbs correctly so I can rule that out as the reason for the roughness, slight vibrations, and backfiring.

Yeah, I recently had the dealer do a 4000 mi maintenance which included the sync'ing the carbs. Now it seems the bike is running rougher so I suspect it wasn't done properly but don't have a carbtune tool yet to confirm (ordering one).

In the interim, I wonder if anyone in the Austin, TX area who has a carbtune tool would be willing to help me check to see if indeed the dealer sync'ed my carbs correctly so I can rule that out as the reason for the roughness, slight vibrations, and backfiring.

Carl,

I'm in Houston right now for the week and I have my carbtune with me. If you want to pick a central locale between us I'd be more than happy to meet you and put a Carbtune on the bike. 810 531 5128

Well, i'm looking at my 08 Venture with 5k miles on it and saying it's to soon for a carb sync, it doesn't seem to run bad. But i'm going on a trip in a few weeks and it would be nice to at least check it.

So i call around the local Stealers and they want $125 and up to perform this operation. Some told me I have to leave it overnight. It was then I decided I would buy the tool and attempt to do it myself.

When the carb tool arrived, I read the instructions ( imagine that ) assembled the unit with all the hoses and was ready to go.

I next asked for help from this forum, the information a got was very descriptive and made the job soooooo easy. The pictures and explanation was right on the money. The only way it could have been easier is if one of you came to my house and made the adjustments for me!

This is a wealth of knowledge on this sight and i'm proud to be a part of it.

Well it turnes out, my carbs were way out of sync. 1&2 werent even close and both banks were out from each other. I never would have thought a new bike with 5k on it needed a carb sync.

I thought this thing ran great before, now it's a freekin rocket!! I want to thank you guys again for all the great information that enabled me to do this carb sync myself. I saved a bunch of money, I now own the tool, and the knowledge to do it myself!!

Have a safe summer, and thanks again.

Frank

And now, with the tool and knowledge you have, you can help out others in your area.

Carry the sync and necessary tools with you if you ever go on any M&Es. 15 minutes in the parking lot just might make some one elses day when they ride off.