IGNORED

Checking the oil level

I thought I'd mention this one to others who might not have thought of this one, but ya know how it's a pain to check your oil level on this bike? You either have to have someone sit the bike for you while YOU get down and check the sight glass or have someone else get down on their hands and knees to check the sight glass for you?

Last evening, I was in the parking lot sitting on my bike, and pulled out my telescoping inspection mirror and put it down by the right side pipe.. people come up to see what I was looking for.. I knew some of them to be RSV riders.. It never occurred to them to check their oil levels this way.. from the seat..

My VStar has a mirror contraption bolted down there so that I just look down past my leg and I can see the reflection of my oil level.. but for the RSV you can't do this.. However, an inspection mirror works great! I glued the swivel head in the proper position so that I don't have to fumble with it much and I actually store it in the empty cassette player slot when not in use.. NO excuse for not checking the oil level now..

. Now I'm trying to convince her that I have to sit on the bike as she checks air pressure front and rear. The training is not going so well.

:crackup: That's hilarious!!

Inspection mirror! Great idea!! :D

excellent idea! I showed my girlfriend how to check the oil while I sit on the bike. Now I'm trying to convince her that I have to sit on the bike as she checks air pressure front and rear. The training is not going so well.

Go figure, she probably doesn't believe you either that you need to balance the bike and hold the handle bars while she's polishing the plexiglass.. Just tell her it is after all for her own safety that you're sitting there balancing the bike and holding the brake.. Some women.. sheesh..! they don't appreciate what we do for them..

Hmmmmm someone mentioned this not too long ago... Hmmmm wonder who that was? Hmmmmm :whistling:

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=329804#post329804]I love my Venture....But, - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

Looks like great minds run in the same gutter... ummmm I mean line!! :sign20:

great idea I was trying to balance on blocks to do this your way sounds much safer.

I've been doing it this way since getting the bike as I don't want the darn thing falling on me and I like knowing that I have the right level of oil for my rides.. I thought I'd share the idea as it seems it hasn't occured to many of this little idea.. I only paid something like 7 bucks for mine.. cheaper the better so in case you lose it.. ;)

Lately, if I want to check my oil level and my son is out playing with his friends (he is usually my assistant), I would just put my bike on my new J&S jack and check the oil level...since the bike is up on the air it is a good opportunity to check underneathe and clean my rear wheel (man it gets dirty down there).

Oil check - once per week.

99% of the time Nina rides with me and about once a week I get her to level the scoot while I check the oil. No need for any other method (at this time :scratchchin:) I've also put 2, 2x4 blocks under the side stand to check it. This brings the scoot to an almost perpendicular position and good enuf for a quick oil check.

Guest Yamahawg

I have one of the Harbor Freight Lock-In front Wheel Chocks I roll my bike onto it and it holds the bike upright for me to check the oil by myself. Bought it to put on my trailer but havent trailered the bike with it yet so it sits on the Garage floor. On Sale it was 29, regular 39.

I have one of the Harbor Freight Lock-In front Wheel Chocks I roll my bike onto it and it holds the bike upright for me to check the oil by myself. Bought it to put on my trailer but havent trailered the bike with it yet so it sits on the Garage floor. On Sale it was 29, regular 39.

Wow, good deal. I may have to pick one of those up. Would you happen to have a link?