IGNORED

Removing tar from Mufflers

Smilerider

I am having a really hard time cleaning off the tar from a set of HD mufflers I have purchased to put on my RSV. I have used the following products with little to no effect.

WD-40

Chrome Polish (Mothers and Turtle Wax)

Never Dull

Tar and Bug Remover

and even GAS....

What am I missing here?? There has to be a way to do this and get the results....

:bagpipes-emoticon:

Diesel fuel,

Guys over in the street dept. use diesel fuel on their shovels - truck flatbeds and even in dump truck beds when hauling asphalt. They do a good job of keeping their stuff clean...

Buddy

Guest BluesLover

Use a copper penny. Yes, it does work - the copper in the penny is actually softer than the chrome and will take the tar off without scratching the chrome.

I know ... I didn't believe it at first either, but went ahead and tried it to find out for myself.

Cheers,

Lou

don't use steel wool. :2133:

I disagree ... I've used double-0 steel wool and a good chrome cleaner a zillion times and never had any ill effects. The double 0 is not abraisive enuf to scratch or dull chrome. But it will remove such things as tar and rust with a good helping of elbow grease.

The suggestion to use deisel fuel is good ... if nothing else, it will soften the tar so that it will be easier for the steel wool to take it off without so much elbow grease.

Another product to try is varsol.

IMHO

When I worked for a detail shop we used lacquer thinner to remove tar and bugs from chrome bumpers. I have been using it on my exhaust pipes to remove tar and burned on boots for years.

Most poeple think I'm nuts, but just do it on a set slightly warm pipes.

Guest seuadr

simple green removes tar pretty good. we use it to remove tar from siding. doesn't bleach or scratch, and smells pretty good!

I have a lot of fir trees here and there is no room to park anywhere but under them. In the summer the pitch runs and drips on to the truck and sometimes the bike. Does anyone know what will remove pitch ( besides a blowtorch ) without harming the paint?

I have a lot of fir trees here and there is no room to park anywhere but under them. In the summer the pitch runs and drips on to the truck and sometimes the bike. Does anyone know what will remove pitch ( besides a blowtorch ) without harming the paint?

have you tried gas or diesel fuel?

When I was a kid we used to carve a small piece of wood in the shape of a boat.. then we'd smear pine pitch on the back and stick it in the water... it would actually propel the wood.

We got a lot of that pitch onto ourselves ... can't recall how we got it off ( I was about 8 at the time )