IGNORED

Pics of my Rack and Camping Rig

Richb

Hey friends,

I just wanted to share some pictures of my new "cooler rack" and share some info on it's use, fit, performance, etc. as I just used this rig on a 1,200 mile camping trip around lake Michigan. (we started in Chgo., crossed the "Mighty Mac" and camped in the UP then returned to Chgo, through Wisconsin) I hope it will be of some help to others, especially those who are new to using this type of gear. Also, I want to thank Sleeperhawk and Roadkill for taking the time to PM me with answers to some questions I had.

I purchased the Venturedad trailer hitch http://www.venturedad.com/index.html (a fine product, and a fine gentleman, too) and installed that myself. Then I contacted Al's Motorcycle's http://www.alsmotorcycleaccessories.com/new_cooler_rack.html

and asked him to build me a rack a little bigger then the size he offers. (Al too, is a great guy to do business with). My rack measures 18 x 20. I also purchased the optional tail lights and turn signals. Once I recieved those, I took them to a local auto shop where the owner is a rider, who has ridden with trailers and has a great deal of experience with motorcycles and trailers. He wired my RSV with a 5-Pin connector for the rack, and mounted it on to my bike. He then replaced the connector that Al provided with the corresponding plug. The result is a very neat, easy to use connection between the rack and my bike. In addition, I had the auto shop cut and weld a license plat holder, and add a plate lamp, to ensure the rack would be legal and visible.

Loading the rack: I have many friends with a lot of riding experience, and as Al reccomends, they too, cautioned about overloading the rack. Not so much for strength concerns, but for the bikes performance and handling. As you can see in the photos, I used a large, Rubbermaid container to hold a cooler and grill. In addition, I also packed some basic condiments, and things I wanted to keep dry, like chips, and a 5lb bag of charcoal, etc. I did not pack ice, drinks, etc. as I knew those would be very heavy. The final weight on my rack was approx 20 - 25 lbs.

RSV Performance: I test rode my bike the day before my trip, riding around town (countryside) and the bike performed and handled well. However, on the actual traveling day, I noticed that the front end had a little play in it, once I reached 80 mph, especially in the wind. I discussed this with my travel mates and concluded that my top cruising speed would be 70 - 75 mph. At that speed, the rack was not even noticable. Another word about wind, because I had that Rubbermaid container on, I definatley felt the cross winds a little more, when we were on open highways. In terms of cornering, at appropriate speeds, the bike felt fine.

Using the Rack: The rack was a great purchase. Not only to haul gear for the trip, but once we were at our campsite, it was used to carry wood, ice, even haul garbage to the camp dumpster. Our last night, we went into town for pizza, which I strapped to the rack for my delivery back to the campsite! In addition, once at the campsite, the Rubbermaid container was emptied and used for additional storage. It was very useful.

Final Thoughts: Using a cooler rack for travel was extremely useful. The guys I camped with have thousands of miles of experience (traveling all across the US and Mexico) and were a little leery of the rack set up, and it's effect on the RSV's performance however, they were soon sold on it's use and functionality. It is important to keep in mind weight. I STRONGLY reccomend that you keep weight to a minimum and test drive you bike, fully loaded before your trip, so you have a real sense of the bikes handling. Also, if you plan on ordering a rack of a custom size, I reccomend that you find your ideal container first, then have the rack built to accomodate it's size. Below is a link to some pics. If anyone has additional questions on my rig, send a PM and I'll try to answer your questions.

http://s470.photobucket.com/albums/rr64/stayintune/Rack/

Hey friends,

.... I had the auto shop cut and weld a license plat holder, and add a plate lamp, to ensure the rack would be legal and visible.

Great job - but am I to understand this rack requires additional registration and a license plate??

MIKE aka Uturn

Guest tx2sturgis
Great job - but am I to understand this rack requires additional registration and a license plate??

MIKE aka Uturn

I'll step in and answer that one. No, a rack does not require additional registration or licensing...but you do have to make sure that your license plate ( and maybe inspection sticker?) is visible to the rear...or else johnny law may want to have a chat with you on the roadside.

I'll step in and answer that one. No, a rack does not require additional registration or licensing...but you do have to make sure that your license plate ( and maybe inspection sticker?) is visible to the rear...or else johnny law may want to have a chat with you on the roadside.

Correct. The rubbermaid container blocks the the license plate, so I had a plate holder mounted to the back of the rack to ensure I was perfectly legal.

On a side note, during my travels in the UP, I stopped for gas and met 3 riders. Two on Harleys and the third on an RSV. I walked up to the group, and said, "finally...someone else on the road with a decent bike"!

that is a neat rack. but did it rub going in or out of driveways ? gas stations they like to ramp there drives for some reason......my wife saw the pics and studied it for a min or so, than asked if i could make one out of fiberglass to match the contour of the saddle bags...... i thought bout it for a min or so and said its possible just have to have two extra saddle bags cuy the back side out extend it to the width of the bike add lights,build it to a similler plattform that would slide off-on it would could look factory givin a little work,,,,,,, what do ya think anyone..have any feedback ? ? ?:97:

that is a neat rack. but did it rub going in or out of driveways ? gas stations they like to ramp there drives for some reason......my wife saw the pics and studied it for a min or so, than asked if i could make one out of fiberglass to match the contour of the saddle bags...... i thought bout it for a min or so and said its possible just have to have two extra saddle bags cuy the back side out extend it to the width of the bike add lights,build it to a similler plattform that would slide off-on it would could look factory givin a little work,,,,,,, what do ya think anyone..have any feedback ? ? ?:97:

I thought about doing a trailer like that but,can't find bags that I would pay the price

Nice rack, I've travelled many thousands of miles with mine and have had no issues at all. It does make the bike feel a little less stable at parking lot speed, but you don't know its there once your speed is up a bit. Nice Job!

Guest tx2sturgis
Nice rack,

Ok...thats two...count em TWO guys that have said 'Nice Rack' to another guy...

This is a strange world we live in here on the internet!!

:think:

Ok...thats two...count em TWO guys that have said 'Nice Rack' to another guy..

You guys are making me nervous:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

(Nice rack!)

Steve

I'm 45....these days I'll take ANY compliment!!

that is a neat rack. but did it rub going in or out of driveways ? gas stations they like to ramp there drives for some reason.

I hear what you're saying...the answer is no, it never bottomed out.

I built one out of Aluminum and polished it, same Venturedad hitch setup on the back of my '99. It worked great and I'd still have it, but gave it to Mean Dog after our accident as he really loved the looks of it, unfortunately he never got to use it.

Guest tx2sturgis
gas stations they like to ramp there drives for some reason......

In most areas, they do that because if there is a large spill, say from a malfunctioning pump or the truck tanker, they will not lose as much hazardous gasoline or diesel down the gentle slope and into the street, where it might mix with and contaminate ground water or storm runoff. That can get expensive to clean up. Making the drive steeper, and the main pad more or less level, helps contain any spillage.