IGNORED

I REALLY did a stupid thing today

Hummingbird

I decided to change the garage door opener today. I had an ancient opener on the second door and recently put a new opener on my first door. The one I took down I inspected and found that all it needed was a new drive gear. $8.50 on ebay - I took the old gear out and replaced it, check and all was good to go.

Here comes the stupid part

4 months ago I had a total right knee replacement and things were going OK. I wasn't totally happy with the results but life goes on right ? I could ride my Venture 2 up safely so what more does a guy want ?

While on the ladder I removed the blots from the old drive unit and started down the ladder. I obviously forgot how to count because as I stepped down with my good leg to the floor level I realized that my bad knee was still on the SECOND step of the ladder. Normally that would not be a problem BUT the bad knee was the one that was just replaced. When I could open my eyes thru the pain I saw that I had bent my replacement knee more than the Dr. said I would ever be able to.

So there I stand with a 20 or 25 lb. drive unit in both hands, my leg bent were it shouldn't be and nobody home. I managed to get into the house and lay down on the floor long enough to quit sweating and regain a regular breathing rate.

With the help of left-over pain medicine (I dislike the word DRUGS) and some ice most of the swelling has gone down.

So perhaps one good thing did come of the incident after all. I still have a small job to complete for tomorrow ? or whenever I gather enough courage to get on a ladder again.

AND -- it looks like I may have gotten a LOT more range of motion in my replacement knee.

Life is good and God is GREAT !!

your one lucky man...could have been a LOT worse...

Hope your knew comes back like new and you can get off the meds...

Maybe you should ask a neighbor to help you...?????????:whistling:

(Dont let your pride get in the way).....:thumbsup2:

Thats the hard way to get full range of motion out of your knee.

Mine has been done for 6 months now and it works great just can't kneel down on it for any length of time. It will get better just keep working on it and keep it loose.

You might want to have a friend on the ladder for awhile.

Take Care

Steve

Hey Adventure,

You were dang lucky, sounds like you tore through scar tissue. You take it easy now--no more ladder arobics okay!:stickpoke:

Be careful kneeling on the replacement too, surgeons here tell you not to--it can damage the replacement joint they installed if you put pressure in the wrong spot.:icon_smile_question

Hope you heal quick :thumbsup2:

Thanks Guys (you to Annie) - I guess my problem wasn't so much the ladder as it was not paying attention to what/where I was. I really thought I was on the first step on the ladder when I was actually on the second step. I guess I could re-think this over and over but the bottom line is that I screwed up. just not paying attention - sure is stiff and sore this AM - better get the ice bag out of the freezer - - - -

Wow, looks like there are a few of us bionics on here. I had my right knee replaced August 28, 2007. I too tried to do too much too soon and paid the price. PAIN is not my friend! Best advice is to listen to the Doc and ice as needed. I have been able to get to a point where I actually enjoy goint for a walk. Would rather ride though.

Take it easy!

Dave

Ok - I iced it down and called the neighbor that I hire to do stuff for me. We just finished putting the door opener up & it works so I'm off to the recliner and more ICE. GOOD thing is that I haven't felt inclined to take any meds, seems like it OK till I try to bend or bump it or anything else that I would NORMALLY do. Can't wait til I see the doc tomorrow, I'm sure he'll be impressed. :rotfl:

Ok - I iced it down and called the neighbor that I hire to do stuff for me. We just finished putting the door opener up & it works so I'm off to the recliner and more ICE. GOOD thing is that I haven't felt inclined to take any meds, seems like it OK till I try to bend or bump it or anything else that I would NORMALLY do. Can't wait til I see the doc tomorrow, I'm sure he'll be impressed. :rotfl:

Right now I'm thinking doctors are a little over rated. but sometimes......:confused24: