IGNORED

GPS question

I've been loooking @ a GPS and would like to have on. The ones for cycles are high $$.

Anyone ever mount one that is not water proof,I would lik to use it in my vehicle too.

I know I would be taking risk of it getting wet, but is the extra $$ worth it.

My Venture has a cig plug right by where I would mount it, I know I would have to have

a handle bar mount, but that could stay on bike all the time. Any in-put would help before

I lay out $$ for one.

Thanxs! :happy34: Ride safe!

I have a Garmin Nuvi 200...It was on sale at the Navy Exchange for 109.99. The suction mount works real good on the windshield of my 05 RSTD. I do use cheap zip ties to keep the wire on the handlebar (just incase the suction mount "unsticks" it will stay with the bike instead of becoming roadside litter) So far I haven't had any problems with the mount. The wire comes across the tank (make sure no tension when you turn the bars full left/right) under my left leg and plugs into the 12v adaptor njust under the seat. I built my own cheap sunshield but someone posted a link to some pro made ones that should work very well. I waterproofed the unit with a layer of Saran wrap and another zip tie. The plastic wrap doesn't interfer with the touch screen and removes easily when the weather turns good.

Look into the Garmin Nuvi 500 or 550, They are alot cheaper ( around $200) then the motorcycle units and are waterproof. Then get the ram mount. Actually Garmin sells the accessories to mount them on your bike too.

I have a Garmin Streetpilot 2610 ( now discontinued ) but it works great. Mounted with a ram mount.

I've been loooking @ a GPS and would like to have on. The ones for cycles are high $$.

Anyone ever mount one that is not water proof,I would lik to use it in my vehicle too.

I know I would be taking risk of it getting wet, but is the extra $$ worth it.

My Venture has a cig plug right by where I would mount it, I know I would have to have

a handle bar mount, but that could stay on bike all the time. Any in-put would help before

I lay out $$ for one.

Thanxs! :happy34: Ride safe!

I just wanted to add the ST2610 that I have isn't waterproof, I keep a ziplock bag handy in case it rains, but I was caught in the rain last weekend for a really good downpour and didn't have the space to even pull over to put rain gear on or cover the GPS and I had no problems.

Thanks Tom! Excellent site/prices! Never would have found that site without your link. Now to order a new GPS for the bike so I can put the Nuvi back in the car!

I have bought everything from gps's to vaccum cleaners from them...love the prices..Always satisfied with everything I've bought... No hassle shoping and quality stuff..Glad to help out...

I have purchased 2 GPS from them and no trouble

The first street pilot 340 then I bought a ram mount for it not water proof

I just took it off in the rain

now i have a Zumo 550

I would look to see if the you can purchase a mount and cradle for the motorcycle

Before you buy the GPS

http://www.buydig.com

http://www.ram-mount.com/

Ride Safe

I think everyones hanging their hat on whether the unit is waterproof or not, but in my opinion.. not worth much.. the ability to see the screen in broad daylight is the big factor. Let's face it, there's not many places to tuck it away on an MC dash. I have two 'toys' and they do a very good job at showing me where I am.. even when I'm not, but let the sunlight hit either one and it's wash out time... Not much visual use at all. Unless the unit has bluetooth capibilities... then it'll at least tell you where you are even when your not. I tried my first one out on the way to Ft Collins in '07 and it was basically worthless when out on the slab. Around town it really helped finding the Dairy Queen.... :)

Hmmmmmmm. I have a TomTom that I mount on the right side of my screen with the suction cup and wrap the power lead around my bars and plug it in to the 12V outlet on the left side of the fairing. I've ridden through rain but find unless it's bucketing down I doesn't get wet enough to worry it. BTW - I use 2 pieces of gaffer tape across the suction cup and onto the screen - one above and one below the stem to make sure the damned things stays put. And it does. I find I can tap the screen with gloves on whilst riding by carefully using the seam of the tip of the little finger.

I don't worry about the audio. I set the screen to 3D and it gives me a GREAT idea of bends coming up.

My :2cents: worth!

I'll second Condor's remark that his GPS was useless on the way to Ft. Collins - heck - somehow his GPS unit thought Canada was Colorado - :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

only kidding, Jack.

Yeah, but the scenery was awesome......... :whistling: