IGNORED

Had my rsv dynoed tonite

Took my rsv to a bike nite tonight and had it put on a dyno to see what it would do. Its all stock but h-d mufflers. I was the only non harley in the group. It peaked at 76hp and 75 ft pd of trrque at 6000 rpms. Found out the rev limiter is set at 6000 rpms so it would go no farther. I was pleased with was they said. Its amazing how maney people don't know what a Venture is.:thumbsup:

dang, only 76hp and 75lb/ft of torque make it to the ground? That's not very good for a 100 horse engine.

That's about a 25% loss which is not that unusual. I did a quick Google search for HP loss due to the drive train and found many sports cars like the Camaro and Corvettes with 15% to 20% loos from engine to wheels.

If the clutch is worn a bit or the gears are not as lubed as they could be your going to see a bit more loss. I also suspect the straight cut gears cause more loss than helical cut gears. It would be interesting to see a new RSV freshly lubed run on a Dyno.

Then for the fun of it lets run one of the dinosours you first gener's ride. :rasberry:

Then for the fun of it lets run one of the dinosours you first gener's ride. :rasberry:

I hear A1bummer has one he would probably like to dyno, I'd be glad to if I find one around here and it's reasonable.

dang, only 76hp and 75lb/ft of torque make it to the ground? That's not very good for a 100 horse engine.

With a Dyna III ignition on curve 2, K&N airfilters and BUB slipon's, at 3500 feet mine dynoed at 74 HP and 75 Ft/Lbs. Also if you go look at the BUB website, their dyno chart for their complete system looks comparable. When you think about the shaft drive arrangement having two 90 degree angles to overcome and with hardware heavy enough to be rock solid dependable for many years, it's easy to see that about 22 - 25% of the power is robbed.

• 9 months later...
With a Dyna III ignition on curve 2, K&N airfilters and BUB slipon's, at 3500 feet mine dynoed at 74 HP and 75 Ft/Lbs. Also if you go look at the BUB website, their dyno chart for their complete system looks comparable. When you think about the shaft drive arrangement having two 90 degree angles to overcome and with hardware heavy enough to be rock solid dependable for many years, it's easy to see that about 22 - 25% of the power is robbed.

My bone stock 05 dynoed 70hp and 70 ft-lbs at basically sea level.

Edited by tsigwing

Depending on which dyno it is, most shops correct all numbers for sea level. I owned a car DynoJet for a couple years, and would make sure all customers got sea level numbers, also corrected for humidity, etc. That way you could theoretically go to any Dynojet, anywhere and compare numbers.

20% loss on cars that make 250-300 hp+ is typical, so to see a little bit more loss on a bike that has less than half that HP to turn what is basically the same driveline (with one less wheel, is pretty good.

Should have tested yours in 4th gear...right?

My almost stock 1983 - 1200 (before rebuild) dyno'ed at 81.65 HP

Bike had a K&N air filter & exhausts were opened up a little. That was all it had.

Carbs at time were not in great setting condition & valves were off. Bike had about 36,000 on it at the time.

I'm hoping for 110 to 120 hp this year.

Out of about 50 or so bikes I was the highest in the below 1200 cc & 1200-1599 cc

A Vrod and a couple of radical HD's beat me in the 1600 cc & up class

Gary

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/scan0001.jpg

There is a small independent motorcycle repair and accessory store about 2 miles from my house. I noticed last week that they have a sign out front that says "We now have a Dyno". If anybody is interested, I'll see if they will offer us any deals for dyno runs during my Maintenance Day.

There is a small independent motorcycle repair and accessory store about 2 miles from my house. I noticed last week that they have a sign out front that says "We now have a Dyno". If anybody is interested, I'll see if they will offer us any deals for dyno runs during my Maintenance Day.

That would be cool, please check in to it, Thanks

:thumbsup2:

Sounds about right...shaft drive robs alot of power, for the expense of being smooth and relatively maint free.

It is also the reason you see alot of V-max's converted to chain drive. To get every bit they can to the ground :D