IGNORED

2010 Harley

brscooter

its about time must be some of there investors and builders , Broke the tunnel...Cracked the egg .whatever,Took off the blinders,.The V-rod is water cooled and it seems to be holding up...maybe it was just a test to see how they would go over with JOHN PUBLIC:scared:

From what I understand the Federal EPA had the main say about all 2010 scoots being water-cooled........

Boomer.....who'll never toss another nickel at Willie G........

ALL is a pretty big word. I doubt that very much.

its about time must be some of there investors and builders , Broke the tunnel...Cracked the egg .whatever,Took off the blinders,.The V-rod is water cooled and it seems to be holding up...maybe it was just a test to see how they would go over with JOHN PUBLIC:scared:

Can you say "NOVA"? Twenty-five years ago (Yep, 25!) Harley had a prototype V4, water cooled motorcycle. Everybody was doing it back then (Venture, Magna), But they couldn't afford to do R&D on the Nova and the Evo engine. You know which one won!!!

Here is a link to an article on the Nova. To bad it got quashed by HD.

Can you say "NOVA"? Twenty-five years ago (Yep, 25!) Harley had a prototype V4, water cooled motorcycle. Everybody was doing it back then (Venture, Magna), But they couldn't afford to do R&D on the Nova and the Evo engine. You know which one won!!!

Here is a link to an article on the Nova. To bad it got quashed by HD.

If you visit the Harley museum in Milwaukee,they have a prototype Nova bike on display.

Sorta kinda looks like a 1st Gen....If they would have pursued this,think of where they would be today...I guess Willie G. can't win them all...:p

He's had alot of great idea's over the years,but he blew this one bigtime.....

Guest seuadr

wow. if harleys had been the first on the market with a short stroke overhead cam water cooled engine... ... ... wow.

ah well, what if's are easy to guess at.

:beer:

ALL is a pretty big word. I doubt that very much.

Federal EPA Mandates cover all MC's built in this Country AND those imported into this Country as well. Also for 2010 Fuel Injection will be mandatory as well on the 2010 bikes. It all ties in with fuel efficiency and pollution control.

Boomer......who knows when it comes to Government "ALL" is not a big a word as "STUPID".

Hey Boomercpo,

I first heard that all bikes had to be fuel injected with the 2008 models. This summer I talked to the owner of a Kawasaki dealership who is very knowledgeable about motorcycles. He said there was no requirement to have FI by a certain year, but as long as you could meet the epa requirements you could have carbs however there was going to come a time when you can't meet the requirements with carbs.

Hey Boomercpo,

I first heard that all bikes had to be fuel injected with the 2008 models. This summer I talked to the owner of a Kawasaki dealership who is very knowledgeable about motorcycles. He said there was no requirement to have FI by a certain year, but as long as you could meet the epa requirements you could have carbs however there was going to come a time when you can't meet the requirements with carbs.

The Dealers out here are saying big changes coming in the 2010 models to meet EPA Mandates ahead of schedule.

I GOOGLED EPA Motorcycle Mandates and there is so much info there it will take weeks to read through everything!

Anyone who thinks the EPA has no influence regarding cars,trucks,MC's etc. better have another beer and take deep breaths.

Boomer.......who knows the Sierra Club Tree Huggers Society is doing a lot of pushing for more EPA CRAP being foisted on the MC Companies.

OK, you've gotten me curious...

Here are the EPA regulations for street motorcycles.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/roadbike.htm

What it does say relevant to 2010 is:

-------

Table E2006–2—Class III Motorcycle Emission Standards

Tier Model year Emission standards (g/km)

------------------- HC + NOX CO

Tier 1 2006–2009 ---1.4 ----- 12.0

Tier 2 2010 and later 0.8 ----- 12.0

(2) Compliance with the Class III HC+NOXstandards set forth in §86.410–2006 (a)(2) may be demonstrated using the averaging provisions of this section. To do this you must show that your average emission levels are at or below the applicable standards in §86.410–2006.

However there is a maximum cap that a given vehicle can not exceed, even if included in the average from a given MANUFACTURER

-----

So. The hydrocarbon and nitrogenoxide emission levels must be lower for 2010 model year machines. Class III motorcycles are those over 280cc displacement. All the models over 280cc can be averaged together (up to a point).

If I recall correctly, the last time there was a deadline like this, a number of vehicle manufacturers made a large number of vehicles for the model year prior to the new regulation and continued to sell them the following year.

Nowhere do the EPA regulations say 'water cooled' or 'fuel injected' . As has been pointed out, the regs state levels of emissions that the average motorcyle from the manufacturer (of over 10,000 motorcycles sold, over 280cc) must meet.

From a practical point of view, what many manufacturers are doing is replacing the carburetors with fuel injected throttle bodies and emissions sensors in a cross-over exhaust (common point sensor). That would also imply a new TCI or computer to control the fuel injection and exhaust sensor. Thats a much simpler approach than designing a true combustion chamber fuel injection system, which would be a more difficult engineering change.

Edited by RandyR

In actuality just how can new emission standards be met by the MC

companies other than fuel adjustments and more stringent pollution control equipment?

Liquid-cooled engines do in fact run cooler and emit less pollution than air-cooled models. With that fact already established it only stands to reason that FI and more pollution control gizmo's will be added to the newer models of 2010.

Here's another Red Flag to watch for as well....Many States are considering Emission Control Testing for MC's on a yearly basis. $$$$$ for the States; force riders to keep their MC's within EPA Guidelines....and lastly....cut down on the so-called "noise pollution" of MC's.

Look back at what happened when the EPA and the tree-huugers started this very thing with cars....in no time at all clunkers disappeared from the roads.

Bottom line is Big Brother will control just WHAT you can do to modify your MC.....it's only a matter of time.

Boomer.........who knows the Goobermint and tree-huggers will not leave us in peace.

One good thing is they really can't make you meet standards that didn't exist at the time the bike was manufactured so with a bike lilke the 1st and 2nd Gens tht will run forever, we'll be able to skip this stuff for another 10 years. (My wife wouldn't let me buy another bike for that long anyway.:hurts:

Bottom line is Big Brother will control just WHAT you can do to modify your MC.....it's only a matter of time.

Bravo! People won't be able to make their bikes louder anymore!!

Get a bigger HORN, folks!

PS: Emissions controls are GOOD.

Bravo! People won't be able to make their bikes louder anymore!!

Get a bigger HORN, folks!

PS: Emissions controls are GOOD.

Sorry...but I have to disagree. If there's a will; there is a way to keep them loud.

I may be old school but I don't agree with emission controls on bikes either. Seems to be a government control thing that bothers me the most.

I've debated this emission/pollution control topic with a couple of PhD's on vehicles and they didn't have the answers nor were they interested in finding them. They seem to go with the flow of the government logic no matter what.

Hmmm...I wonder if they're still using their Briggs and Stratton lawn mowers?

Just my opinion

I view water cooled and fuel injected as good options, emission levels aside.

Water cooled engines have a tendency to have longer lives and to have less vibration.

Fuel injected engines -should- run smoother, have slightly better fuel efficiency, and require fewer tuneups. Since they should also run cleaner, a FI engine should also last longer. Cleaner combustion means less carbon and acid to pollute the oil, so longer intervals between oil changes may be possible.