IGNORED

Squeaking noise....

I'm hearing a squeaking noise when compressing the rear shock. I searched for any leak, but everything is dry for now. Not sure if it is the rear shock or a bushing making the noise I hear. I know the rear shock has been a weak point on the Second Gens. It has 25K miles on it so its probably about time. Its not a high pitch squeak, but more of a low pitch rubbing noise. Is this the shock about to go?

Yeah, known issue. Could try the fork oil/tranny fluid cocktail and see if that helps. Helped mine some but it still creaks when it's cold out. Mine hasn't leaked though. Probably going to run it till it does.

The proportions of fork oil to tranny fluid is 1 to 1. Can't remember how much Rick Butler said to use but 1/2oz of each sticks in my mind (although I did a second dose and it still groans when cold out). Then get a syringe and take the Schrader valve out of the rear shock valve and squirt it down inside. This is a long, somewhat, tedious process as it will fill up and start to overflow. I would then put a foot pump on the valve and give it a couple pumps and then release the pressure and squirt some more in.

Good luck and let us know if that helps.

Edit: Okay, here's the original Thread on the subject...

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2220]Understanding your RSV Rear Shock - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

Edited by gibvel

Skid,when mine went I first started hearing a squeak/rub noise then one day a puddle of oil on the floor in the garage.If I am correct you just bought this bike? If so the oil MAY have already come out on previous owner. It will still hold air and some members are running it this way ,BUT,if that air goes the bikes rear end will hit the pavement,no support at all. It will seem very bouncy and easy to push down in the back if oil is gone.

So far looking at it I do not see where the oil had come out. It doesn't appear to had been cleaned as it still appears to be somewhat dirty as normal under a bike. Although, there was no air in the front or rear shock when I got it. During the Skid-In someone put about 30 lbs of air in he rear and 7 lbs in the front with a small hand pump. It sounding like I need to start looking for a rear shock......

So what is the best replacement rear shock, should I just go with Yamaha or is there a better aftermarket to go with?

... and you may have the same issue that I did. Every time I sat on mine it would groan. The last time I did a drive line lube I removed every mounting bolt that had to do with the shock and used moly60 on it. Not a sound now. It was probably the top mount that was the problem. The others are all needle bearings and the top mount is just a bolt through the shock and it was dry.

... and you may have the same issue that I did. Every time I sat on mine it would groan. The last time I did a drive line lube I removed every mounting bolt that had to do with the shock and used moly60 on it. Not a sound now. It was probably the top mount that was the problem. The others are all needle bearings and the top mount is just a bolt through the shock and it was dry.

Mine is an 06 Midnight and I'm the 3rd owner.. I've put more miles on the bike in less than a year than the two others combined.. Getting to turn over 40,000 Miles.. I've put over 20,000 of those myself.. not bad considering our short season here..

However, I've discovered it would appear neither of the previous owner ever got any warranty work done to it.. So I'm thinking that the rear shock is pooched though it seems to be working but it creaks and groans even on the best of days..

Does anyone know who where what is the better replacement rear shock to pick up? Where to find it and so on?

We were just talking about all this at the Skid In, I just had my shock replaced this week, it didnt make any noise, but there was oil always leaking off the shock, it was replaced under warranty with another yamaha shock. I will say the difference in handling is like nite and day. Al Bates said he replaced his with a "Works Performance Shock" made to your specs, maybe he will see:mo money: this or you can PM him. He can give you all the details. Craig

Well I priced the Yamaha rear shock this morning at the local dealer and they are a little over $600.00. I knew when I bought the bike that it was going to be sooner or later needing a rear shock. So it really wasn't unplanned......

Well I priced the Yamaha rear shock this morning at the local dealer and they are a little over $600.00. I knew when I bought the bike that it was going to be sooner or later needing a rear shock. So it really wasn't unplanned......

At partshark.com (used to be Flatout Motorcycles) it is $482.90, still a lot but better than $600. Good people, very trustworthy.

Or you can price that Works shock. I think they are less than the Yammie one.

Joe

At partshark.com (used to be Flatout Motorcycles) it is $482.90, still a lot but better than $600. Good people, very trustworthy.

Or you can price that Works shock. I think they are less than the Yammie one.

Joe

I bought my bike used, and it's a US bike, brought into Canada.. so it has no warranty on it.. I've had the neck bearings tightened for now (they need repacking in a bad way!), leveling links installed (nice!!) and all the fluids and filters etc replaced on the bike.. wow, quite the difference..

Once I get the time off the bike to get it into a shop, I'll have the neck bearings repacked, front fork oils replaced, coolant flushed and then on my own replace the rear shock.

The bike handles much better than it did before the tweaks but the rear feels.. Hmm odd at the odd times.. ya know? Seeing how little maintenance might have been done to this bike, I'll be saving up coins to replace that shock on spec.. the bike sits a lot lower than everyone else's Ventures.. that might explain why.. (even with the leveling links on, it doesn't feel higher than other's.. and I have the pressure at 40 psi)

Thanks for the info gents..

We were just talking about all this at the Skid In, I just had my shock replaced this week, it didnt make any noise, but there was oil always leaking off the shock, it was replaced under warranty with another yamaha shock. I will say the difference in handling is like nite and day. Al Bates said he replaced his with a "Works Performance Shock" made to your specs, maybe he will see:mo money: this or you can PM him. He can give you all the details. Craig

Ouch, close to $700US for a shock? Hmm I guess mine isn't so bad after all.. I bought a 420 series Progressive Suspension shock for my VStar a few years ago for $400 and it was worth it.. but $700? ergh..

I'ma newby to the forum. Hated to read about this thread. I just bought a 2002 RSV w/ 22K miles 2 weeks ago. Havent read the whole manual, but think I made a goof. My wife and I went riding 150 miles. Had a great time. The next day, heard a groaning noise first time I sat on the bike. I figured it was the shock. This thread confirms it. Bad thing is, I didnt put any air pressure in the shocks. I wanted a smooth ride. Duhh. Yesterday, I put air in both shocks, which it does ride better. No oil leaking yet. I wonder how long it will last? Man those shocks are expensive. What a dummy. Self induced pain. What a drag....:doh:

I'ma newby to the forum. Hated to read about this thread. I just bought a 2002 RSV w/ 22K miles 2 weeks ago. Havent read the whole manual, but think I made a goof. My wife and I went riding 150 miles. Had a great time. The next day, heard a groaning noise first time I sat on the bike. I figured it was the shock. This thread confirms it. Bad thing is, I didnt put any air pressure in the shocks. I wanted a smooth ride. Duhh. Yesterday, I put air in both shocks, which it does ride better. No oil leaking yet. I wonder how long it will last? Man those shocks are expensive. What a dummy. Self induced pain. What a drag....:doh:

Riding with no air should not have damaged the shock and not every shock dies an early death...so your shock is probably still okay:080402gudl_prv:

Seems that making sure everything is lubed properly has fixed at least one person's squeaks. That takes time, but replacing a shock is expensive and you'd feel very silly if the squeak was still there after doing a replacement.

My biggest curiosity is how would one discover if his shock is devoid of oil even if it holds air?

I'm the 3rd owner of the bike and feel the previous owners didn't properly maintain the bike, so I'm wondering if the shock might have splooged it's oil out on one of them..

As I said, it holds air but not sure if it's in good shape.. ya know?