IGNORED

intercom, headset questions

OK, I'm looking to figure out what exactly I would need in order to take advantage of the intercom on the 89 Venture.

The bike does not come with helmets, headsets or any wires or cables so I have to start from ground zero.

Where do I begin?

Thanks

Edsets are popular..not cheap but very well made and good sound.

J+M enterprises sells their model as well. Dont bother with the real expensive sets as apparently they dont sound much better than the cheap ones.

You need 5 pin cables in case you are wondering. Dont worry if something says for harley as long as its 5 pin it should work.

OK, So all I need are 5pin cables and to buy two headset?

how do the headset interface with the 5 pin cables?

do I need specific helmets?

do I need to buy a specific type of headset or headset with specific connectors?

Thanks

Chris

OK, So all I need are 5pin cables and to buy two headset?

ahhhhh...not so fast...

I had no headsets when I got my '83 Venture, and told a friend who gave me a set offa his GoldWing.....DIDN'T WORK!....5 pins, wrong configuration.

So if your Venture has the intercom system on it, Chris, then I'd look on e-bay for the correct matching headsets

heck...I may have some

I bought 2 headsets with the cables from powersports2go on e-bay for $146 a few months ago. they are the ones for the open face but my wife and I really like them and they work great without and extra things to buy. Shipped Free

Two (2) Goldwing Open Face J&M Headset HS-8154-OFB for the open face or HS-8154-FFB for full face, Sierra Electronics sells them also but they are $80 each plus shipping

Edited by SapperMedic
added

We are assuming that the jacks for the headsets already exist on the bike, right?? If not, they both plug into the main amplifier the same place the tuner and the CB plug into...

The bike should have the rear control, attached to the left front of the trunk, as well.

I believe the intercom hookup was OEM installed on the Mk2 & not an option, like the Mk1.

You can find them at Wingstuff.com.............they sell them cheaper than J&M. And all the Factory equiped Ventures have 5 pin headsets........same as the goldwing...........I have used mine on a friends goldwing..........no problem.

J&M HS8154B Open or Full Face Gold Wing Headset w/1Piece Cord - Honda Goldwing Parts and Accessories

• 2 months later...
How do the J&M speakers attach inside of the helmets?

That's going to vary by helmet.

On my FX-100 I was able to just tuck them behind the lining where the ears are. My new HJC IS-16 Helmet is much tighter there and that didn't work. I had to whittle the Styrofoam away to have enough room.

Some helmets come with a pocket to slip the speakers into.

They come with velcro on the speaker and an adhesive piece of velcro to stick into the helmet. In both of my installations the fit was snug enough I didn't bother with the velcro.

I have the full face headset. Placing the mic is tricky. It's rather large and chin bars often have air chanels in them you don't want to stick the mic through. Also, on my wife's helmet I ended up a bit low in the chin bar and it gets some wind noise. Hard to reposition after making the hole. Some of the newer J&M headsets I believe have a very small boom mic that is probably the way to go, even with a full face helmet.

BTW, the el-cheapo J&M I have has quite good sound quality in the ear pieces and the mic.

How do the J&M speakers attach inside of the helmets?

I recently installed two sets of J&M speakers in an open face helmet. Very easy to do and it took only a few minutes with my helmets which, like most open face helmets, have an area without foam or padding in the ear area. The headset kit comes with a sticky velcro patch that you place in this area inside the helmet. You then position the speakers and hold them in place with matching velcro.