IGNORED

Warning to all Garmin owners

az1103

To make a long story short; Yesterday I received an e-mail from Garmin telling me map updates were available....When I went on their site it offered an update disk for $69. or a lifetime update download service for $119. Sounded like a good deal so I took it...

The download took over 6 hours on a high speed DSL Then I tried to open the downloaded file which proceeded to grind in the background for 45 minutes totally blocking all attempts to stop it - I thought I had just gotten a virus !!!!

I ended up doing a cold boot by turning off the power !!!!

After another round of the same I put the download in the trash and deleted it. I then sent 2 e-mails to Garmin explaining the problem and asking for an immediate refund - both as a reply to the purchase confirmation and on the "my garmin" site as a customer service complaint.

Today, having received no reply, I called them -the call took well over an hour!!! In the end, the best they would do is promise a refund in "two or three billing cycles" !!!!!!!

Needless to say, I unloaded on them the problem of constant freeze-ups and resets by battery removal !!! NO SOLUTION !!!! I asked how they could expect someone to dedicate 6 hour dowloads two or three times a year - NO ANSWER, but the person confirmed that just to open that file on Windows Vista it would take over 1/2 hour!!!! Wow!!!! on mine , it went past 45 minutes and was still going, and I have a fast machine !!!!!

So folks, I don't know about you- but I am through throwing money at Garmin and tollerating the bad service and nonexistant response. I don't do business with companies that don't care for their customers.... Next time it's another brand.......

Which model of the Tom Tom do you have, my wife wants to give me one for fathers day........and how is it mounted on your bike.

Thanks.

I like Tom Tom better anyway. I almost switched to garmin but after comparing my Tom Tom with my friends garmin many times over on various trips I will stick with my Tom Tom

Have had my for two years now...and it's ok. One year after i purchased it, i did the one "FREE" map update and yes it was rather large and took a couple hours to complete. As for paying for additional new maps...all i can say to that is..."they can kiss my [supply your own word here]"

Had i known that map updates would be an extra cost, i never would have bought the thing in the first place. It's nice on the long car rides, but we don't even do that all that often, and because of the way it mounts, i don't think that i can get a RAM mount for it. Another thing i wish i would have known or thought about before hand.

I would give it 3 out of 5 stars. (for what it's worth).

and Sorry, but i can't recall the model number ... and yes i'm just too lazy to go look :(

Which model of the Tom Tom do you have, my wife wants to give me one for fathers day........and how is it mounted on your bike.

Thanks.

For now I just have the tom tom one 3rd edition which i use in the car. But I intend to buy the tom tom rider for the motorcycle it comes very well equiped with mounts blue tooth and head set here is their site they have regular updates and map shareing

http://www.tomtom.com/products/features.php?ID=354&Category=1&Lid=4&ShowAllFeatures=1

I think right now walmart has a good deal on them through their online store

Edited by saddlebum

Thanks.

Dragonrider I have a tom tom rider II works fine but hard to see at daytime.I am coming to vogel if you want to see it.

Wow. This is a bit of a surprise thread for me. I have a Zumo 550 and I have never had any issues. The one time I had a problem with my previous unit Garmin replaced it free with a new set of maps even though it was well out of warranty. I have never had anything but great response from their support people. I wonder if this has something to do with the Navteq group? Either way it's good to know there have been problems with this. I never respond when something like this first comes out though. Too many people tying up the process. I think I'll wait a couple weeks and give them a call. Maybe tey will have the bugs out by then.

Thanks for posting az1103. You probably saved my some grief.

The download took over 6 hours on a high speed DSL Then I tried to open the downloaded file which proceeded to grind in the background for 45 minutes totally blocking all attempts to stop it - I thought I had just gotten a virus !!!!......

Just a thought. I think my Dad had trouble kind of like this once. I believe part of the problem had to do with the file having every available language in it. I think he had some computer guru friend somehow eliminate the unnessasary ones to shrink the file. Might be something to check out??

Just my .02, Scooter Bob

I have the new Garmin 660. I love it. I updated the maps when I got it and it did take a while. I started late at night and it was done when I got up the next morning. Not sure how long it took. No viruses in that version but it is good to know it is a possiblity.

I will be buying the lifetime maps through the AMA purchase program when my 60 day free map update runs out. I think it is $89. I think it is well worth it with all the contruction and new roads

I like the availible features of the Garmin over the others. I really like the lane assist and the blue tooth to my phone. We can stop look for a hotel and call them to check prices and availbility with out removing my phone from my pocket. It synced all my phone numbers from my phone to the garmin so I can make and recieve calls through the Garmin. I do not answer or use the phone while rolling but I guess you could if you had to. At least you can see who is calling and pull over if it is important.

I do not like the PC software that came with it. (maybe I have not learned all the tricks about it yet)

Harley has a trip planner on line that is easier to use but it will screw up or loose your saved routes you build so save them to your hard drive as soon as you get them like you want them. I created a +900 mile trip and only 36 miles was on a interstate. All 2 lane senic routes. All worked very well. One more tip...at you add waypoints zoom in to make sure you get the waypoints on the actual road...no beside it. This casuses some confusion when traveling and it says you will turn in 3 miles and there is no turn. It wants you to go to the that waypoint you placed 200 yards off the road.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/Ride_Planner/Ride_Planner.jsp?locale=en_US

Sorry you had trouble with Garmin. They should help you out on that one for sure.

I updated my zumo map data last year or so via download without any trouble, it took a while but don't recall exactly but considering the file size I didn't think it was too bad. I've also never heard of anyone having a poor customer service experience with garmin, there are people on this site that have said garmin warrantied units that had expired. Sounds like your experience may be related to equipment on your end (vista??) and flaming the first person you got on the phone. Just my .02 worth.

Wow. This is a bit of a surprise thread for me. I have a Zumo 550 and I have never had any issues. The one time I had a problem with my previous unit Garmin replaced it free with a new set of maps even though it was well out of warranty. I have never had anything but great response from their support people. I wonder if this has something to do with the Navteq group? Either way it's good to know there have been problems with this. I never respond when something like this first comes out though. Too many people tying up the process. I think I'll wait a couple weeks and give them a call. Maybe tey will have the bugs out by then.

Thanks for posting az1103. You probably saved my some grief.

Same here. I've had several Garmin products including my current Zumo 550 and the support has always been good. I update my mapset about every two years. I just picked up the '09 update today at Walmart on clearance for $45.

DT

Harley has a trip planner on line that is easier to use but it will screw up or loose your saved routes you build so save them to your hard drive as soon as you get them like you want them.

I too prefer the HD planner. I find it much easier to use than any other mapping software I've tried. And, like you, I've learned to zoom in on waypoints. Another thing I found when transferring maps is that it appears that if you enter a start point and end point and you like the route it provides the Zumo may route you differently once you load the route. So, I add waypoints along the way at a few turns to make sure it forces the Zumo to follow the same route. Works great.

Dennis

Today, having received no reply, I called them -the call took well over an hour!!! In the end, the best they would do is promise a refund in "two or three billing cycles" !!!!!!!.......

Don't ya just love it when you buy something from one of these online companies and the credit card charge hits your account almost instantaneously, but when it comes to issuing refunds it takes damn near forever. :stirthepot:

I have the Garmin Nuvi bought a Tom Tom crashed when I tried to update it so took it back Garmin was kinda slow to update .I have heard of simular problems with other types of Gps units seems liek the update process is a problem for a lot of them