IGNORED

HELP!!! 1st Gen steering head bearings

I could use you all to way in...I have my steering head apart and can not get the bottom bearing to unseat. It is sitting in a plastic cup. Like to know how much I can beat on this and still have usable parts when done. New parts are days away and I need to ride soon.....

Well, usually, whatever Route you go to dismount the Bearing, it's Trash after you got it off the Steering Stem. But why do you want it undone if you want it back in Place ?

There's no Room for Error, this is an really important Part of the Chassis. When you're already in there, you better replace the Bearings and be done with it for Years.

.... just my 0.02 US$

Thanks for waying in everybody. Job is just going to have to take longer. Bearings and races.....I know, Iknow.....do it right. Back to the parts counter and shop I go. Dang it!

Even with the hassles....I love this bike!

I've repacked the front bearings a couple of times. If you were not having a problem with the bearing and just repacking it, do it in place. I usually drop the front far enough to get to it and repack it in place. Works fine and never had a problem.

I've repacked the front bearings a couple of times. If you were not having a problem with the bearing and just repacking it, do it in place. I usually drop the front far enough to get to it and repack it in place. Works fine and never had a problem.

That's what I did. My lower was "almost dry", so I repacked it, and reused it. The top bearing was was beaten, seemingly by the heat. The remnants of grease were hard, and almost black.

Examine the races really carefully. Do they have any lines in them that line up with the rollers? If so, they need replacement. If not, they may be OK. But as someone else wrote here recently, that's a lot of work to do, you might want to just do the new bearings at this point.

I got the lower bearing off using a die grinder to get it thin and then a cold chisel and hammer to crack the thin spot.

Jeremy