IGNORED

Quick-change Windshield

First, apologies upfront if this has already been discussed. I've typed in a few variables in the search part and couldn't find anything close so here goes.......

Most of my buddies ride Harleys. What I've always admired about their bikes is that they have low cut (4" or taller) tinted windshields which are easily removable in order to change back to a larger shield for long distance riding. (Ahhhh, to have that wind-in-the-face feeling again!) So this got me to thinking about my own Venture and how I'd love to be able to switch back and forth from my huge shield to a tiny one for local rides and real hot summer days. The big problem with our bikes is removing the chrome trim on the fairing because of the design of the damn thing (those little plastic tabs! Aaaargh!). I get nervous as hell trying to remove it just to get inside to do some wiring on occasion, never mind having to remove it on a more regular basis to switch a windshield. So I began thinking up ways to come up with a 'quick' release system for the fairing.

My first thought was to find some real shiny chrome screws and drill into the trim and fasten it to the fairing so that way I'd only have maybe 5 screws to remove (2 in the back, 3 upfront) in a fairly reasonable time with an electric screwdriver, then remove the screws for the windshield and make the switch. Voila! Done! But having a discussion one evening with Draegerman, we came up with a better idea. The chrome trim already utilizes 2 screws to make certain it stays put so instead of drilling holes in the trim, why not use magnets? Apparently there are some pretty heavy duty magnets available on the market nowadays that would do the job very well. Mounting them in the right place would surely hold the chrome trim in a perfect position. This way, all you have to do is remove the 2 screws and then pull out the chrome trim and not worry about those plastic tabs anymore! Now you have fast access to the windshield mounting screws and they can be removed just as quickly and switched with another shield. Sure it may take 5, maybe 10 minutes, but to have a shorter screen up front would sure be nice at times.

Anybody want to add to this? Anybody come up with any other way to remove a windshield quick? I'd love to hear other ideas if anyone has one before I go and give this particular idea a try. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Bluez :cool17:

OK . . . all replies have dealt with the velcro vs. magnets concept . . . both excellent by the way . . .however, my questions is have you actually found a lower height windshield for your Venture? :256:

Ok...I'm a mess...but isnt that chrome piece plastic?
The rare earth magnets he's referring to can be gotten rediculously small for the amount of strength they possess. My guess is he would epoxy the magnets to the chrome strip, and a matching plate or magnet on the fairing.

Along that same thought, I really don't think you'd have any problems with the piece falling off if using those magnets, but as someone else mentioned, it might actually be harder to remove without twisting or breaking the chrome piece. Those magnets are unbelievably strong.

I have three windshields for my Venture and change them often depending on season and use. Cecdoo said ten minutes and that is about right. My Venture is eight years old and the chrome strip has never given me any problem. Taking it off gently will keep it in good shape forever.:farmer:

I have three windshields for my Venture and change them often depending on season and use. Cecdoo said ten minutes and that is about right. My Venture is eight years old and the chrome strip has never given me any problem. Taking it off gently will keep it in good shape forever.

I have a shorty wide and a tall wide and change them out regular.. the silver cheapy plastic chrome strip on mine will lift in the wind unless I double side velcro it down.. so it makes it all nice and simple at shield change time..

My idea was to dispense with those plastic tabs located on the trim and in order to keep the trim from 'flapping' in the wind and making strange noises, to secure it somehow. Velcro is a nice idea. And as for magnets, they come in various sizes and strengths. With a little experimentation, the right strength could be found so it won't be so tough to seperate and at the same time, hold the trim properly in place.

As for changing the windshield, heck, I'd do it all the time. During the day? A nice tinted shorty. For the evening and night? Switch back to the tall boy in order to keep from eating bugs. Mild day? Half size. Long distance? Full size. If it's something that I could do quite easily, I'll do it. Hell, I'll have me a windshield rack in the garage just like some people have a gun rack in their trucks! *L* Gotta love options! :D

Bluez :cool17:

OK . . . all replies have dealt with the velcro vs. magnets concept . . . both excellent by the way . . .however, my questions is have you actually found a lower height windshield for your Venture? :256:

The factory sells three different size windshields.

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/accessories/acscitemdetail/5/4/83/408/all/1/134/0/detail.aspx