IGNORED

PayPal fraud

Bigfoot

Not sure if anyone else is getting these or not but I've received 2 e-mails from appears to be Paypal. Something about someone was using my account fraudently. Both e-mails were very professional in appearance with none of the typical misspellings when it comes to phishing e-mails. I didn't hit the links but e-mailed paypal directly from their website. They responded back very quick saying that the e-mails were indeed fake and they were aware of them and are working on them. Just a warning here.

I get 10 of those a day, plus 10 that my Ebay account is compromised. Oh and my chase card is compromised (I dont use Chase)

basically assume that ANY email from your bank or other important site is fake. Close your browser and log in by typing in the website name and check there.

I also have been getting lots of offers to hold billions of dollars for exiled Africian kings If I just give them my banking account info they will put the money in there and give me a Million for my trouble.

Treat most all email as fake and you'll be fine.

The Internet is loaded with scammers nowadays. I guess there is a big enough percentage of folks who let greed go to their head and fall victim to these ploys.

Boomer......who would love to meet one of these rich Nigerians and have that sucker pay off my bills with cold hard cash.:Laugh:

Internet browsers users (which you must be if you're reading this) need to keep their option to display the STATUS BAR on. For most browsers thats the one line display under this window. In the status bar will be the actual internet named address that a link is going to send you to. The link display is not necessarily the same as what is in the status bar. Check whats in the status bar carefully when you hover your cursor over a web link.

Only the last portion of an internet address has to be registered and validated by the internet routers ie: 'urscrewed.com' gets validated, while in 'paypal.com.urescrewed.com' the paypal.com portion is only validated at the urscrewed.com web site. Likewise in 'urscrewed.com/we.are.paypal.com/ the 'we.are.paypal.com' portion is a subdirectory on the recipient website, not a validated address. There are other variations along these two themes designed to confuse even the wary.

Kinda long, but it was effective:

I recently received a "request" to help this poor individual in getting $26 million dollars out of his country. Here is the email I sent back to him.....Funny...he hasn't written me back yet!

Dear Dr. Ahmad Mohammad Abdul,

I was so excited to get your letter and to know that you put so much trust in me. I will surely not let you down, especially after you have shown your good faith in this proposed transaction by transferring into my bank account in the USA the sum of $260,000.00 ( two hundred sixty thousand US dollars); this is only about 1% of the total sum you are offering me for my help, right? My business partners, Mr. Spock, Scotty, and Dr. McCoy have expressed great interest in this venture.

My bank is Kiss My Ass Federal Credit Union. You don't need to know the account number; I told my bank to expect the money. They will know which account to put it in. I am already expecting a few hundred thousand dollars from many other persons like you, living on the African continent, who found my e-Mail address by chance and who, like you, are offering me hundreds of thousands even millions (!!!) of dollars just to help them with their financial predicament.

It is surprising how many people in Africa have so much "hidden" money. It really makes me wonder why our U S Congress and charities around the world send money to countries such as yours. Anyway, as soon as I am informed by my bank that the transfer of $260,000.00 is in place, I will get back to you we can work out the other details of your proposed transaction. Naturally, this has to be in strict compliance with all U.S. laws. I will have my lawyer, Perry Mason, draw up the paperwork for your approval. You can expect the forms to be delivered by Roy Rogers or The Cisco Kid by way of Pony Express.

Respectfully yours in anticipation,

Captain Kirk

Commander US Starship Enterprise

By The Way: I am forwarding a copy of your communication to:

United States Secret Service,

Financial Crimes Division,

419 Task Force, 950 H Street,

Washington, DC, 20001-4518, USA.

P.S If, as I suspect, you are using your Yahoo e-Mail or Hotmail privileges in an attempt to run a SCAM in the USA, I am asking Yahoo's and MSN's Abuse Service to remove you from their list of e-Mail subscribers. Yahoo and MSN do not tolerate this kind of thing.

Better luck next time !!!

Since I am the (alledged) king of my castle.....send all of your money to my PayPal account so I can live in a manner that I will never be accustomed to...........Those of you who reach my official goal of untold millions can share my throne.....just flush first please.....(notice the "Royal Purple" lettering..spiffy, huh...)

• 7 months later...

Here's another one for you:

Today I opened the phone bill and find a charge billed for HBS billing services for my service with Streaming Flix LLC.

Apparently Streaming Flix posts all kinds of crap on the internet and get you to enter your phone number and address. In the very fine print at the bottom you are giving them permission to bill your phone bill $14.95/month for whatever their service is.

They'd got my wife.

Internet browsers users (which you must be if you're reading this) need to keep their option to display the STATUS BAR on. ...

Actually the Opera browser works a bit differently, but your suggestion is no doubt valid for that other browser. You know, the one everybody seems to use in spite of all the unpatched bugs.

In Opera if you hover over a link it displays the full address in a box next to the cursor whether there's a status bar or not. Opera also has a lot of other security features the more popular browsers don't have yet. I suppose it can be a hassle, but I love the enhanced security. Turns out there are quite a few government sites, Federal and State, with bad security and out of date encryption keys. Opera grumps about 'em all.

Here is another little piece of information. If PayPal or Ebay send you a notice they will address you by name. These fake PayPal and Ebay scams will not address you by name they will say something like Dear PayPal customer or Dear Ebay user or something along those lines.

Here's another one for you:

Today I opened the phone bill and find a charge billed for HBS billing services for my service with Streaming Flix LLC.

Apparently Streaming Flix posts all kinds of crap on the internet and get you to enter your phone number and address. In the very fine print at the bottom you are giving them permission to bill your phone bill $14.95/month for whatever their service is.

They'd got my wife.

Are you ask if they're gonna give her back to you.

Would have to be worth at least $14.95/ month!:crackup:

Here is some advice on Ebay and Paypal.

Someone hacked my Ebay account once and actually had 9 used cars in my name up for sale. Ebay caught it and resolved it really quickly. My password for ebay was not just your everyday password, so I was surprized when they hacked into it. IT was a combination of letters and numbers that was not related to my address, phone number, ID or anything. Actually it was the date and month in hexadecimal that the password was created.

I signed up for one of those Paypal security keys for $5 bucks. Now if they will have to have my password plus a six digit number that changes every minute. It is very secure.

A lot of people give Paypal a bad rap. If you use a credit card on paypal you have 2 layers of security one from paypal and one from the credit card company. I have had instances where Paypal got my money back when something was not deleivered. Plus when you shop on line...you do not have to reveal you credit card number to all those websites you by stuff from.

I do not think it is a good idea to tie your bank account to Paypal. In fact I do not want nothing attached to my bank account. I have a separate account with very little money in it that I use for direct deposit of my paycheck and IRS tax returns and internet banking. I transfer money into this account as I need it and only the ammount I need. My other money is in other accounts.

Becareful out there...there are a lot of scams going on all the time. Need proof, just look at the Global Warming Scam.

Same here as CMIKE. I have a separate account for paypal with always

a ZERO balance. when I buy something and use paypal I add Just that

amount for the day to that account. ( I can do on-line transfer) then it gets pulled and back to ZERO!

Been working great!