IGNORED

new tag-along trailer

Guest tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Finally got some pics up of my new trailer. Its called a Tag-Along. Made by LilThoroughbred Trailers in Arkansas. They come with white wheels but I fixed that! The last pic shows the wheels painted black as they are now. I will be changing the rear lighting, going with all red lenses.

http://www.lilthoroughbredtrailers.com/id2.html

Edited by tx2sturgis

That is sweet! I like it!

Be nice to have a smaller trailer once

in a while. not sure if it would be large

enough for some of our trips or not? :scratchchin:

But I really do like it lots! :thumbsup2:

what was the cost of it, if I my ask?

Jeff

Guest tx2sturgis

This trailer is small. Its meant for smaller bikes and/or carrying a LOT less than the kitchen sink. Its 8.5 cubic feet, bigger then the Uni-GO, but smaller than most any 2 wheel trailer. Its about right for a solo rider, or riding 2 up on short trips. But it only weighs 80 pounds empty! And it uses common inexpensive 8 inch wheels. The larger trailer I have is sometimes just too big and heavy. Sometimes, less IS more!

Edited by tx2sturgis

Is that the Harbor Freight one?

Would be big enough for me. But Then I might trade the Warden off for a nice young Blonde that will ride.

After I heal Up!!!

You keep talking like that and you are not ever going to heal up....:sign20:

Guest tx2sturgis

First test of the new trailer on a 150 mile loop. Averaging 40 mpg. Not bad, considering its about 10 to 13 mpg BETTER than when I pull my 'big' trailer. It was perfect this weekend during the rally in Lubbock. I have had several riders pull up beside me asking what it is and where I got it. One guy followed me for miles waiting till I stopped so he could ask me about it. Or maybe, he just wanted to check out the hot babe I had riding with me!! Either way, it seems to be a winner.

Is that the Harbor Freight one?

Would be big enough for me. But Then I might trade the Warden off for a nice young Blonde that will ride.

After I heal Up!!!

Skid was right. :yikes: If you keep thinking out loud like that, you're going to need Rott2lovers trailer. Nice coffing trailer and he even has a top hat to finish off the image.

From the web site it appears that the width of the trailer is about 26 or 26.25 inches. So it looks like you could roll it into a hotel room. That is one of the features I like about the Unigo. But sometimes I would like to have just a little more room and this thing may be in my future.

Dennis

Guest tx2sturgis

It does fit right thru a normal doorway, not a problem.

I took a trip this past weekend and had it loaded with 2 tents (a one man and a three man) 2 sleeping bags, 2 sleeping mats, a medium sized duffle bag filled with clothes, some water bottles, tent stakes, a small lantern, and other miscellaneous supplies. Total load was probably around 80 pounds. I loaded the 2 sleeping bags last and had to 'smush' them down, but it all fit. With all that packed in, there is no room for a cooler, so i put a small soft cooler in the bike trunk and then we bought a cheapo foam throw-away cooler at the lake. With the gas I saved pulling this thing, I can buy a lot of those coolers!

I looked at the Uni-Go but its just too pricey for what it can carry. This Tag-Along will carry most anything a couple would need for an extended trip, IF they pack it reasonably. It does have a small hidden compartment under the floor, for such things as tent stakes, batteries, or a small first aid kit or tool kit. (or ammo, if you carry a handgun)

There is no provision for carrying a spare, but these wheels and tires are available at Wal-Marts and boat/rv stores almost anywhere. I suppose you could rig up a carrier under the drawbar, but that would sacrifice clearance when going over speedbumps and such. The Uni-Go's tires and wheels are orphans. You arent likely to be able to find replacements when traveling, without having them shipped to you. My larger ( Motorvation) trailer has unusual wheels and tires....oh they look good, but a pain to find and change on the road.

This trailer pulls effortlessly and doesnt reflect any exhaust sound back to the riders. My other trailer does that, not bad, but its there.

I have also ordered some new red lens LED lights for the trailer. I prefer all red lenses to match what I have on the bike. By the way, this trailer uses the Bushtec style pin hitch, with a heim joint, which eliminates slop and noise at the coupler. Nice.

Overall Im very happy with it. My fuel mileage is a lot better pulling this trailer than when pulling my 'big' trailer, and It sure gets the job done in style. Several riders have commented on the flawless paint job, and the overall style. One of my good friends calls it my 'Jelly Bean' trailer! Hey, I can work with that!

Edited by tx2sturgis

My wife needed something to carry, 5-7 suit cases, make up, blow dryer, kitchen sink, two coolers, spare tire, & tools, Beach gear with chairs,. lets see ?.... did I miss anything?????:doh::doh:

Yes, shoes to match the clothes your wearing. :rotf:

Looks like a nice little trailer

BRad

Guest tx2sturgis

Couple of pics. I changed out the rear lighting to red lens LEDs...much cleaner appearance, then had to add that damn tag. Oh well.

Brian, is that a standard auto-size license plate on the back of that trailer? It looks like it needs outriggers to keep the plate from rolling the trailer over on it's side... it looks HUGE on the back of the trailer :)

It's a great looking trailer though!

The fella I bought my (homebuilt) trailer from, had had a shallow, aluminum treadplate tray fabricated and installed on the tongue in front of the trailer box, to hold a decent sized cooler. He threw in the cooler and a black vinyl zippered cover with the trailer for an extra $20.00. The whole transaction set me back $95.00.

I really never thought much about the complete set of light lenses being red, it looked really sharp on yours. I'm going to look into locating red lenses for my turn signals as well. I'm not sure if I'm going to delve into replacing the "ground-effect" LED's under the bottom of my trailer... a kind of pale blue that is tied into the running lights. They'd look surreal in Georgia Bulldawg Red :)

Guest tx2sturgis

It looks like I built a dolly to haul around this huge license plate, huh?

:big-grin-emoticon:

That is actually a normal automobile plate, and that shows you how tiny this trailer really is. Wait till you see a Unigo sometime! Maybe I should buy some reflective stick on numbers and use those instead!!!

I can see it now...Yessir officer....I had the damn Texas plate on there, and the darn trailer kept tipping over backwards when I unhooked it!!!

Oh well.

• 4 months later...
with a wife that wants to bring everything with her.

3-4 suitcases, full size cooler, the spare tire, my middle size bag, 2 beach chairs, and both of our pillows, Oh wait, the blow dryer. I couldn't go much smaller then this.

Know what ya mean there Brake Pad. Was in same boat when I bought my Ion trailer.

Nice looking trailer there Tx2. Like ya say sometimes less is more.

Larry

Guest tx2sturgis

Dennis, as of right now, I dont have the trailer and the bike hooked up, they are in different places. Later in the week, I will try to get some closeups of the two units coupled together. But, I cropped some photos of the coupler from shots that I have taken in the past, and posted them below...hope these will be sufficient for now. Maybe Rick can post some, since he is presently involved with getting his ready for the road.

This trailer uses the same type of pin coupler as the high-dollar Bushtec trailers. There is a pin that mounts vertically in the receivers shank, or stinger, and the trailer drawbar has a heim-joint opening, that slips down over the pin. Then you slide the coupler lock on the top of the pin, which has a keyed lock cylinder in it.

It seems to be a better way of hooking up a motorcycle trailer, since it allows complete freedom of movement up to a certain angle, then it completely restricts further tilting. (yes I know the standard ball coupler does this too, but this arrangement seems to have less tendency to bind, or pry the connection apart) Also, it seems to be quieter than a ball coupler, since you effectively have almost zero play in the hookup. And, it looks less 'automotive'....if that matters to you.

You can certainly have 2 different receiver shanks to plug in to your bike, each with its own coupler, and you could remove the Unigo coupler and plug in the Tag-Along coupler easily.

I suppose someone with the desire could change the coupler arrangement, since the heimjoint assembly is a screw-in type. I haven't disassembled it to check this out.

The short version is, yes, its different, and it works well.

:happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis
a brother, for your safety, run two chains on that trailer, and cross them, or add a middle chain as shown in the picture, so the bar will land on the Chains, instead of digging into the roadway, and drag you down with it.

Well that might work for another type of hitch, but this chain is primarily for legal requirements. This hitch wont fail, and I wont make a mistake hooking it up. And even it it( or I) DID, the way the drawbar is made, the joint cant come into direct contact with the pavement unless the trailer twists onto its side, or is airborne, nose down, and in that case, any chains under the drawbar will do no good, they will be twisting up and I'll be braking, swerving, and probably headed for a ditch anyway. Besides, the quicklink caribiner I use will turn loose if things get REALLY nasty.

Thanks though.

Guest tx2sturgis

Ok Dennis, I was able to get things together for a little shoot. First pic is all the pieces laid out, second pic is the coupler lock on the pin, third pic is the heim joint on the pin, without the lock, and fourth is the unit hitched up completely.

The last pic shows the hitch still coupled, but with the shank pulled out of the receiver, and this is the way I usually uncouple the trailer from the bike. Yep...its all a little dirty, but my on-road schedule and the weather...well you know how it goes.