IGNORED

Computer question

Venturous Randy

I fell for that kind of trickery myself a long time ago. The free scan said I had a whole crap load of problems. After I paid for the software, it found only a few. Now I don't use any anti virus software or any of the like. I just try to be as careful as I can be with what I download and keep track of what's in my system. I know if something new appears somewhere it shouldn't be.

I did a scan using the free version of RegCure.com and it tells me I have over 600 errors. Does anyone know about this program? :smash2:

RandyA

Yep I have it on mine, supposed to clean up the registry?? I dont know much about computers but it does seem to run better/faster after it fixes the errors, also makes it easier to manage startup. One of the computer gurus will have to let you know if its really worth the $$ Craig

I've been using Reg Cure monthly for over a year, but I also use Reg Smart and C Cleaner, so I really don't know for sure which is better. I do know that each one cleans a lot of unnecessary junk out of the system and gets the speed back to normal. I find it pretty important! As a matter of fact, that's on my schedule to do yet tonight.

Its not uncommon to have registry errors. A lot may be as simple as files that been moved or erased. Or even shortcuts that no longer work. I am not familiar with that program. I use a couple of different ones but most are free. Just be sure to do a search for the product you are going to use to see if it comes up as a trojan or installer.

Getting it from http://www.downloads.com is usually a safe bet

I understand that most of the computing public is concerned when given this kind of information, but NEVER run an online test for such. If you are having problems with your computer then most likely it's malware of some sort. Nowadays spyware and the like is more of a threat than the viruses!

Having registry "errors" usually means that there are links or information that is in the registry that has no use; you can clean it out but the benefits are insignificant.

The most significant contributor to your computer slowing down is unnecessary software running when Windows starts. The most simple tool to control this is called "startup.cpl" from Mike Lin. There is a Windows tool (msconfig) used for this but startup is much easier. You don't need the printer monitoring program running, or the java update scheduler, or numerous other software updater services that share your internet connection and computer resources. Just uncheck the box. If you later see that you need the process running then check the box and right-click to start the app. This is a very powerful app; you will like it better than some vague registry magician that you have to pay for.

Keep your money.

Google Startup.cpl - it's free.

Edited by bcradio
Revision

I've been using www.IOBit.com Advanced System Care. It's free and very good. Keeps my system happy... There's a big difference between a system tuner, and a virus firewall. For those of you not running any type of virus protection, I wish you well. If you get email, it's sorta like playing russian roulette.

Just an FYI ... you can do a clean, fresh install of Windows and add nothing and those "cleaners" will find "errors". A lot of it isn't errors per se` but just registry entries that are "pre-set" for future installations of applications, etc but at the time, they don't exist so therefore, they are redundant and show up as "errors". Cleaning them out won't hurt a thing.

I did a scan using the free version of RegCure.com and it tells me I have over 600 errors. Does anyone know about this program? :smash2:

RandyA

Question: What are the symptoms you are trying to fix? Your issue may not be a registry problem but malware, trojan or virus. These insidious little buggers tend to muck with the registry and inject themselves everywhere. Good free program to use for checking for malware is at http://www.malwarebytes.org. There are some half decent free registry cleaners out if that really is your problem.

Also it also depends on how long you have been running your computer build (1 year, 2 years, 3 years) and how bad the issue is. I regularly tell my clients to reburn their computers. I have found it will really take less time in the end then trying to chase these issues down. You then use imaging software to make backups and if it ever happens again a couple clicks of the mouse will have you in a clean environment.

Good Luck

I understand that most of the computing public is concerned when given this kind of information, but NEVER run an online test for such. If you are having problems with your computer then most likely it's malware of some sort. Nowadays spyware and the like is more of a threat than the viruses!

Having registry "errors" usually means that there are links or information that is in the registry that has no use; you can clean it out but the benefits are insignificant.

The most significant contributor to your computer slowing down is unnecessary software running when Windows starts. The most simple tool to control this is called "startup.cpl" from Mike Lin. There is a Windows tool (msconfig) used for this but startup is much easier. You don't need the printer monitoring program running, or the java update scheduler, or numerous other software updater services that share your internet connection and computer resources. Just uncheck the box. If you later see that you need the process running then check the box and right-click to start the app. This is a very powerful app; you will like it better than some vague registry magician that you have to pay for.

Keep your money.

Google Startup.cpl - it's free.

Ya! What he said.:smash2:

And be careful when it comes to Microsoft updates. I don't let my system do ANY automatic updates. Some of them can slow even the best computer. I've even seen them crash a system. I go through the lists of updates available and read them to be sure if I really need/want them or not.

Edited by a1bummer

I've been using www.IOBit.com Advanced System Care. It's free and very good. Keeps my system happy... There's a big difference between a system tuner, and a virus firewall. For those of you not running any type of virus protection, I wish you well. If you get email, it's sorta like playing russian roulette.

I use the same program and it seems to beat the others hands down. I also eliminated 90% of my computer problems by using Firefox instead of IE. Seems like I get fewer registry and spyware issues with Firefox.

http://majorgeeks.com/downloads15.html

Pick one of the high rated free ones.

the ONLY registry cleaner that is worth anything is Amust registry cleaner. It's a pay for program, but I always try the free stuff first.

Microsoft's installer are incredibly poorly written so they leave orphaned and bad information in the registry. 90% of the time this causes no effect, but after installing and uninstalling stuff over 2 years the registry can get all messed up.