IGNORED

Front and Rear Wheel Bearings ?

Well I imagine you would do it by the service manual, unless you notice they are damaged. I have changed many a tire and never felt the need to change the bearings. Just pack them with some quality high temp bearing grease and continue on.

Well that's what I do, others may have a different opinion.

I shoot greese into them with a Needle Tip, fitting added to my greese gun. Even though they are Sealed bearings, you can shoot greese into them with the needle attachment. Avialable at most auto parts stores.

I changed my bearings last winter, at 57K. Carefull check of originals I only found a Slight bit of resistance on one bearings.

I would say, check them carefully, if you cant feel any resistance, then just greese them.

Had to replace a front bearing on a Nomad a few years ago. Dealer told me they don't usually need to be replaced BUT what happens is if you use a power washer around the grease seal and water gets back in there. It pits the balls in the bearing. You could feel the roughness when turning the bearing by hand.

I shoot greese into them with a Needle Tip, fitting added to my greese gun. Even though they are Sealed bearings, you can shoot greese into them with the needle attachment. Avialable at most auto parts stores.

Yep, I do the same thing too. I use a good quality black moly lube along with the needle tip. its a great way to get grease in there without disturbing the seals.

George,

Bearings are not usually an issue with these bikes. Out of the probably 250,000 plus miles I've put on the Ventures I have only replaced the front bearing on a bike one time. It was an 86 with about 75,000 on the clock.

When I had the dealer change the tires he noticed some roughness after changing the tire so we changed them, what a rip by the way. Anyway I had noticed nothing while riding the bike.

The Rip is you can buy these bearings about anyplace that sell Timken or many other bearings, it seems to be a stock bearing. Found that out after having the dealer change them for about $150.00.

I wouldn't change them just because the manual says to but that's just me.

Jerry