IGNORED

From one vet to another

Hummingbird

Thank you for your service to our nation. And for those who made the ultimate sacrifice, may your efforts be remembered and honored forever.

Randy R

US Army

MO National Guard

MD National Guard

USAR

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, And whose

coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."

- Father Dennis Edward O'Brian, USMC

God bless all who have made the ultimate sacrifice so that we, in this great nation may be free. If you can read this, thank a teacher, if you are reading it in english... thank a vet. Thank you brothers and sisters.

Thank you to all who have served, all who are currently serving, and all the families left at home to wonder of thier return.

Here in Oliver Springs, they have a small celebration on the Saturday of memorial day weekend. They block off main street and do vendors, games, bands and such (see Pic, I told you it was small.)

Anyways I had some stuff to do saturday, but blew it off to hang out with the guys from DAV 526 here in town. They had the rafflebike sitting in front of the tent on a trailer and sold a lot of tickets.

It never ceases to amaze me the stories some of these guys can tell. Most are from the vietnam era, but there are a few wwII guys there and a couple gulf war guys thrown in as well. Thier stories can make you laugh your butt off, but at the end usually end the same way. with somebody not coming home. Sobering.

I'll stop my rambling now, I just wanted to say thank you. :2cents:

When I was young, I kinda thought the people in the military were those who couldn't hold "real" jobs. But I have found in the 25+ years that I have been associated that it is only the most patriotic and gallant that STAY in the military. I understand some that come in and do what they contracted to do and then go to make a difference in the civilian community, and there are a lot of them. But those who make the military a career are extra special in my heart. I think that's why I love this site so much, because we all have a passion about something, and are willing to share. I know we have a big percentage of the members that are vets or have children (grandchildren) that are in the military and don't take our freedoms lightly. I had a First Sgt that gave me some good advise. He said " We can't always choose who leads us, but it is our duty to obey their legal orders to the best of our abilities" (This was during the Clinton years, when the military was getting cut to the bone). I know that I did the best I could these last couple of years to make sure that the soldiers that Lonestarmedic and I put on the battlefield, were those that I would want taking care of me if things went wrong.

I also want express my appreciation to the other vets and their families that served.

We have a Veterans Administrations here in Johnson City, TN called Mountain Home. It also is a National Cemetery with about 15,000 grave sites. The only thing I wish had been done differently is many years ago it was decided to go to the flat markers. I was pleased that a couple of years ago they went back to the vertical headstones. My feeling is these soldiers stood up for their country and should have a headstone that stands up for them. My farther, who was in Quadal Canal at the end of WWII, is buried there and has one of the flat markers.

Thanks,

Randy Atkins

Staff Sergeant

USAF, 69-73