IGNORED

A fresh fix for floppy lower vents

I was out riding today and it was warm. My lower vents are worn and always flop over closed so my legs were toasting. I had to stop at Wally World and pick up a few things and I ended up in the automotive section. I don't know why but I was looking at air freshers and saw these lil slip on jobs that go down inside the vent and have a clip on the side that snaps over the air conditioning vent louver. :scratchchin: Wait a minute.....air conditioning vent.......lower air vent.....Hummm?

They are the right size to slip in and stay in place. They come in a pack of 4 of a $1.28. It worked like a charm, held the vents wide open and got the breeze back on my knees. Not to mention I still smelled pretty good myself after 200 miles.

Not such a selection of manly scents like "Burning Rubber" or "High Octane" but I can get by with vanilla on a hot day. Hey....the ladies like ice cream......right?

Who says an air fresher is pointless on a bike?

Snaggletooth

I fixed mine too this year, but I did it a bit differently. I pulled the vents out and removed the center vanes. I then cut a piece of that rubber cushioning material that they usually put on the bottom of laptops to fit where the rectangular plastis recesses are, and I trimmed out a low spot for the round end of the vane to fit in. I put everything back together, and when I open a vent, it stays open.

• 3 weeks later...

I've taken the vanes out of the frames and put super glue in the holes that they snap into to make them fit a bit tighter. I've also thought about trying tiny o-rings aroung the tabs on the ens of the vanes where they snap into the frames.

For my '84 VR, I went to Radio Shack and bought a bag of alligator clips for a few dollars. I generally got the small copper ones. Clipped them right on the louver to keep them open. When I want to close them, I moved the clips to the vent-like spots on the fairings next to the handlebars.

I've taken the vanes out of the frames and put super glue in the holes that they snap into to make them fit a bit tighter. I've also thought about trying tiny o-rings aroung the tabs on the ens of the vanes where they snap into the frames.

Here is a picture of what it looks like with the lower's off and bikini side panels.

RandyA

I really like the altered side panels and removing the lowers really shows off that engine. It would be nice if something could be done with the radiator side trim though, it seems to break up the visual "flow". The only thing I don't like about the lower removal is that I've grown to like the protection from the bugs they provide. I'm not to fond of the little creeps hitting my legs at highway speeds.;)

I like it! Now what if we moved the controls forward?

Does it run any cooler in city driving, etc.?

There are plusses and minuses on this. I do believe the engine runs a bit cooler and I don't think I feel as much heat around the seat area, but there is a little bit more general noise from the engine.

It is a lot more comfortable for me to put my feet on the highway pegs and not have my legs against the lowers, but any reaction time on getting to the rear brake quickly is slowed a little.

I am also a "symmetry" kind of person and would like the small area near the radiator to blend just a bit better, but with the "V" of the engine showing, it is a lot more symmeterical than part of one half of the engine showing and not the other half, especially if you have covers on the side panels.

I keep thinking about making some clear wind deflectors to give my legs some weather protection, but so far it has not been a high priority and I do enjoy the air.

Somewhere I posted pictures on how I did the side covers and if anyone is interested and we can not find them, I will post again.

RandyA

• 4 weeks later...

Somewhere I posted pictures on how I did the side covers and if anyone is interested and we can not find them, I will post again.

RandyA

I've been thinking of doing the same to my 90 Venture. Did a search for bikini side covers but none of the posts found contained any pix. If you can find them, it would be nice to see what you did.

Thanks

• 1 month later...