Ok whats up with all these 2nd gen. oil filter numbers?:bang head: I picked up a couple oil filters at the dealer for my 2008 RSTD for stock, they gave me PN/ 5DM-13440-00. My orignal filter PN/ 5GH-13440-00 is almost twice as long.:( I did a search on oil filters and found a PN/ 3FV-13440-00:think: So I my question is will there be any oil flow/pressure problems?:feedback:

Edited by RonL

The longer ones will be just fine. No, flow/pressure problems. Actually more filtering element. I get the Purolator PureOne 14610 (believe that's the number) which is about the longest filter that will screw on in the space provided, without taking the regulator off. Bet the PureOne is probably cheaper than the OEM and a better quality filter as well. Mobil 1 filter is good too but I'm not sure which number that is.

Went back to the dealer today to get this oil filter issue handled:think: As it turns out they gave me the wrong filters:buttkick: The 5GH-13440-00 which is the long one is the right one for the 2008 RSTD.

And here is the real kicker, they refunded me $5.00 for the 2 filters I exchanged. The long filter is cheaper than the short one:confused07:

Oil filters are pretty much universal between Kawasaki, Honda and Yamaha. There is not great advancement in the motorcycle technology. The only differences I have seen are the lengths. It appears to be the same media.

I run the Purolator PureOne filter as well, but my bike is out of warranty so I don't have to run a "motorcycle" filter on it.

Had a similar experience last fall. Went to the dealer to buy a filter and they were out. Gave me a filter for a snowmobile telling me the only difference was that it was 1mm longer. I've had it on for about 2k miles with no worries. Service manager told me they do it all the time between the different bikes to cut down on inventory...

Bob

• 1 month later...

I use the Fram filter. Seems to work just fine, and available at Wally World. I change my oil more often than most folks - every 2k. I follow that old saying, "I've never heard of anyone wearing out a motor by changing the oil too often"!

:thumbsup:

I got my Mobil 1 at Autozone but they didn't have a filter. I had to go to Napa $9.00 - I probably spent too much, I deliberately didn't check prices anywhere else, didn't want to get depressed about over spending.:bang head:

Best I remember the Pure1 filter at Advanced Auto was a little less than $7.00US.

Got the blue bottle Rotella at Wally World, don't remember the price, but cheaper than Advanced Auto. :2cents:

I checked at my local wally for oil and when I asked the attendant about Mobil 1 for motorcycles he said "I didn't know motorcycles took a different oil" :think:

That ended that and on the way home I went to Autozone, found the oil but no filter. The attendant said he could have 'tomorrow' but it's too far to drive when I may get it closer to home.

Closer to home I stopped at Advance auto for the filter. I was told that they don't have a listing for motorcycles but if I could get a number off the one on the bike - again, that was the end of that conversation.

Now it's Sunday and the Napa store is open from 10 to 2, it's been raining all morning, can't ride so I ended up at napa for the filter - $10 and a lot of aggravation.

Since I only change oil once a year, I guess it really wasn't such a bad experience.

Try this link here at our site. It lists a cross reference to all the filters that fit our bikes.

I use the supertech from wallyworld. Cheap and a good filter as well.

[ame=http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=523]Oil Filters - VentureRider.Org[/ame]