IGNORED

tank bag for RSTD

I have a Nelson-Rigg MG950 that I use on long trips to keep my camera, cell phone, batteries, sunglasses, etc in. The magnets hold it in place very well. I have to move it to the side to fill with gas.

I did a search for it online and found some good pictures that someone posted. They can be seen at http://www.pbase.com/mowheels/tankbag

http://www.rawpowersports.com/detail.aspx?product=352&department=4

Dennis

I got a fantastic bag from Ebay last year. It is by a Canadian company called Motopak. They have all different sizes, and their auctions all start at $0.99 The bag is expandable, and you can even unzip the main compartment from the magnetic base, if you just need a map holder alone. The main compartment also has a map pocket on top. I love mine, and it has very strong magnets, with a non-scratch surface. The zipper pulls and construction are great. Here is a link to one of their auctions. And from here you can also see the selection of other bags and sizes that they sell, roll bags, tail bags, saddle bags etc. And from what I can tell, all the bags come with bungees, and rain covers too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magnetic-Motorcycle-Tank-Bag-NEW-MotoPak-GT-17_W0QQitemZ370200182358QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5631a67e56&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Ok, looks like several choices for magnetic mount. Is anyone using a non-magnetic mount - ie: with straps around the tank or otherwise fastened?

Dragerman - is the Joe Rocket pack your dog is in magnetic?

thx

Randy:

I have one that I like, magnetic with soft rubber back so as to not scratch the tank. Nelson-Rigg, Silver Streak. Fills most of the tank without being in the way when filling tank. Side zipper pockets, lot of nice compartments inside. Comes with rain cover and has removable velcro full size clear map pouch on top. Paid $69 on sale.

Hope this helps!

Steve

Edited by steveb74678

Ok, looks like several choices for magnetic mount. Is anyone using a non-magnetic mount - ie: with straps around the tank or otherwise fastened?

Dragerman - is the Joe Rocket pack your dog is in magnetic?

thx

No, it has a non slip rubber bottom and straps.

Do I understand right, you can zip the map holder right down on the magnetic base when you want a map holder alone? Their stuff does look interesting.

Kinda, let me explain it better. The base alone, has the magnets, soft bottom (no scratch) and a waterproof map pocket. The main compartment, securely zips to that base, to give you more storage, the main compartment ALSO has a map pocket on the top. So you can have the choice of having just a map holder, or the full room if you need it. Hope this explains better

Kinda, let me explain it better. The base alone, has the magnets, soft bottom (no scratch) and a waterproof map pocket. The main compartment, securely zips to that base, to give you more storage, the main compartment ALSO has a map pocket on the top. So you can have the choice of having just a map holder, or the full room if you need it. Hope this explains better

Well here's a dumb question.....hubby and I are leaving mid July for 15 day trip. That bag looks like it would be perfect for all his "stuff". I don't know if he'll have time to build a gps mount before then.

Would the map holder also work to hold our gps? :think:

Well here's a dumb question.....hubby and I are leaving mid July for 15 day trip. That bag looks like it would be perfect for all his "stuff". I don't know if he'll have time to build a gps mount before then.

I've seen them advertised that way, ie: just stick it under the clear map holder.

What kind of GPS is it? You can buy GPS specific mounts for many kinds. Look for Ram mounts. Obviously you would be running on unit battery power alone, so not sure how long the GPS will function. The best motorcycle GPS solution is of course the Garmin Zumo, which has all mounts as well as a car mount for the unit. Weather proof, and has its own power supply you tie into the bike to power it. That is the best suggestion I can give you. If you tell me exactly what brand and model, I will try to help you find a suitable mount.

What kind of GPS is it? You can buy GPS specific mounts for many kinds. Look for Ram mounts. Obviously you would be running on unit battery power alone, so not sure how long the GPS will function. The best motorcycle GPS solution is of course the Garmin Zumo, which has all mounts as well as a car mount for the unit. Weather proof, and has its own power supply you tie into the bike to power it. That is the best suggestion I can give you. If you tell me exactly what brand and model, I will try to help you find a suitable mount.

You have to remember that neither hubby or I are technically literate. We just got our first GPS at Xmas and have used it twice. It's the cheapest model. Garmin Nuvi200.

I know the Ram mounts are nice, but the hubby lives by the motto..."If I can't build it, I probably don't need it" not to mention the fact that the word "frugal" is in our vocabulary a lot!!!! My idea was to stick Velcro on the back of his helmet then I could still be the backseat driver!

If there was one that was reasonable, I would just buy it. I just thought the tank bag would serve several purposes. Thanks!

I got the magnet type at Wal-Mart. It does have a strap to go around the neck of the front forks but are a little short. It is also collapsible. It has a hard plastic flexible piece that folds up out of the way when the bag is collapsed. It also has a clear map pocket and an outside pocket to put smaller items in. It is made by Bell and I paid $30.