IGNORED

First Gen. Final Drive Question!?!?

I recently purchased a First Gen. Parts Bike and was told by the owner he "thought" the final drive on this bike was from a VMAX. Does anyone know of a way I can tell if this is indeed a VMAX final drive? I have attached two pics below and the red arrow is pointing to what looks to be a mounting point for a rear shock. Could someone please help me?!?!

Earl

Earl,

Thats not a giveaway as they used the same casing on many of that era Yamahas. The only was I know of is to look at the gears inside the pig. If the ring gear is a 9 tooth then it's a Vmax if it's a 10 tooth it's a Venture. If I'm wrong with that statement you will have answers quickly to dispute my statements :buttkick:

If you're going to take the rear end off the parts bike anyway, and can find out the gear ratio for the Vmax, all you would have to do is be able to see the input shaft some kind of way. Rotate the tire one complete turn and count the number of revolutions you need to get one revolution on the input shaft. Once you have the ratio, you'll know which differential it is. Obviously you have to mark the wheel and the input somehow, so you can make an accurate count.

Just a thought....if you didn't want to have to get into the differential.

Edited by autopilot
misc.

Rotate the tire one complete turn and count the number of revolutions you need to get one revolution on the input shaft. Once you have the ratio, you'll know which differential it is. Obviously you have to mark the wheel and the input somehow, so you can make an accurate count.

Yeah thats a good idea too, didn't think of that one

:doh:

Probably playing with the new V max.......:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Hey, I'm here !!!!

Not really playing with the VMAX this Weekend. I was mounting a Aftermarket Fork Yokes on a Buddies Vmax on Saturday and visited a Friend yesterday to fix his Carb Problem on the Vmax. We took the Venture and had a fantastic Day with riding, Texas Steaks off the Grill and a wet Trip back Home and camein just before midnight ...

Back on Topic ...

If you turn the Shaft 9.9 Times to have three Turns on the Output Spline, it's a Venture Ratio, if you need to turn the Shaft eleven Times to have three Turns on the Output Spline, it's a Vmax Ratio.

If you turn the Shaft 9.9 Times to have three Turns on the Output Spline, it's a Venture Ratio, if you need to turn the Shaft eleven Times to have three Turns on the Output Spline, it's a Vmax Ratio.

And there you have it! Lutz your pretty handy to have around here with us

:thumbsup2: