IGNORED

Help deciding between a GL1200 or a Venture

Hi, I don't get here much since my 84 venture got hit by a deer last May, But I am looking a an 86 venture and an 87 venture Royale and a 86 Goldwing GL1200.

It seams everyone wants a goldwing but what are the downsides between the venture and wing?

I liked the way I sat lower on the venture but how does the wing sit, I was told higher and I am only 5'8" so the lower the better.

The prices are the same. equipment is the same.

Is it hard to find venture parts? Wings have the timing belt issue and the stator. Ventures have the 2nd gear problem.

Any opinions to sway me one way or another?

Eddy

neither an '86 or '87 Venture have 2nd gear issue. That was cured somewhere mid '85

The Venture has tons more power than the '86 Wing. I had an '83 Wing and compared to my first Venture (an '85), I loved the Venture .... The Wing was great. I put a lot of miles on both. Hard decision to make... guess it's what feels "right" to you.

You won't have to worry about the 2nd gear problem if you're looking at an '86 or '87. That was taken care of in '85. At 5'8" you should be comfortable on a GW. I'm 6'3" and everything feels cramped.

The Venture still has its problem with the stator. Not a lot of extra amps without replacing it with an upgraded one.

I'd ride either one myself. Both great bikes. I put a lot of miles on my GL1100 and the GL1200 with no major problems.

I've never had a problem finding parts I needed for my '84 but I spent a lot on time on eBay looking for them. Stealers can still provide a lot of stuff for the VRs but $$$ is the issue and waiting for them to get ordered. I think that you would have a lot more parts available for a GW just out of the number of bikes out there. A few more than the VR I'd have to think. LOL!

It's a matter of taste. Park your tail on each bike and ride it if possible. What ever feels good ya know.

I've never owned a 1st gen, but it appears those that have them love'em. I put 87K on a GW1200 before I got the GW1500. I loved it! The only reason I sold it was I started hearing an intermittent noise in the stator area. Knowing they had a way of going south, sold it and bought the 1500. By now a stator would have been replaced in any bike your looking at, unless its ultra-low miles.

:2cents:

One thing I just remembered.... the '85 VR could sure handle the twisties wayyyyyy better than my '83 wing could and even better than my '87 VR ... now, there could be a lot of variable factors contributing to why it was better than the '87VR ... partly maybe coz when I had it, I was wilder! :rotf:

GL1200...stator replacement cost $2000 because the engine must be removed...only $300 is parts. They are a pain to work on. Another ex...GL1200 water pump has more gaskets and o-rings than you can imagine. I hate working on GoldWings. Give me a Venture anytime.

One thing I just remembered.... the '85 VR could sure handle the twisties wayyyyyy better than my '83 wing could and even better than my '87 VR ... now, there could be a lot of variable factors contributing to why it was better than the '87VR ... partly maybe coz when I had it, I was wilder! :rotf:

Nope, I am betting its cause you didnt have a speed limiter device on it (on the back seat, that is):no-no-no::no-no-no::Avatars_Gee_George:

Brian

Nope, I am betting its cause you didnt have a speed limiter device on it (on the back seat, that is):no-no-no::no-no-no::Avatars_Gee_George:

Brian

Not true... the former SLD (Speed Limiter Device) had defects and constantly attempted to deter and limit my wildness.

My current SLD works flawlessly (from my perspective) .... doesn't limit anything!

Having said that, maybe the former SLD worked the way it was intended...I'm not so wild anymore LOL

naahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

GL1200...stator replacement cost $2000 because the engine must be removed...only $300 is parts. They are a pain to work on. Another ex...GL1200 water pump has more gaskets and o-rings than you can imagine. I hate working on GoldWings. Give me a Venture anytime.

The stator problem with the earlier Goldwings is dealt with by mounting an external alternator on the bike so you dont have to pull that motor. I ride an 84 GL 1200 and like it alot. I bought an 84 Venture and have been unable to ride it as it needs pretty much everthing fixed. I do like how it sits but the Wing is comfy too. Bikes that old all have problems if they havent been meticulously maintained and most people I think just don't want to restore these great old bikes back to reliable riding condition, they just want to jump on and go. I think they are both great bikes and I would say if you are not willing to work on or have someone else do the work for you then these classics aren't for you

Craig, I have heard about the "Geo Metro" poor man alternator fix. But that of course is just one issue. There are many other electrical issues that I could go into. But my fingers are too tired to go further.

Craig, I have heard about the "Geo Metro" poor man alternator fix. But that of course is just one issue. There are many other electrical issues that I could go into. But my fingers are too tired to go further.

I also frequent Steve Saunders Goldwing Forum and see very similar problems with both style of bikes. What I read on this Forum as far as problems I to read on the Goldwing Forum. None of them are perfect. I cant wait to get my Venture fixed so I can enjoy the best of both Honda and Yamaha Worlds. The Venture I picked up for $300.00 and everything needs repair before I will ride it. Oh it does have a new rear tire though. I do all my own wrenching so these problems don't scare me away however many there may be.

I have the opportunity to ride a few GL1200's every summer. I'm on an 84 VR and some of my friends are riding the GLs. I like my VR much better than the GL. It is like compairing the ride and handeling between a Cadillac and a Jaguar. The VR feels like a sport touring bike. Since mine is an 84 they have more storage capacity than I do but the 86 and up VR has more as well.

Wayne

While it has been many years and many bikes since I had my GL1100, I remember that I sold it after a year or so because I liked another bike that I had at the time much better. I just didn't feel connected to it when I went down the road. I know it's a personal thing, but I sure like my recently purchased 88VR much better.

I had an 84 wing for a number of years before I sold it and got my 83 venture. The wing was a good bike, never really had anything go wrong other than normal tires, brake pads, that being said I never really cared for it. The venture has had it's share of well known issues but at the end of the day I still prefer it, handles better, way faster and even better mileage if ridden gently. Watch out for the alternator on early wings as an earlier post mentioned, the motor has to be pulled to change, very expensive.

Thank you all for the comments.

I went to ride the Wing last night and sat on it, the dealer that has it really pissed me off. The town is out of my way to get to so I called earily that day and told him what time I would be there and wanted to hear it and ride it, since I had already looked it over. Well when I got there I talked to him and said can we take it outside and get-r-running. He said they take the battery out when in the showroom and had to check to get it back in, then comes back said it would be a day or two before he could get the battery in. I asked for his card, thinking I would call the manager or someone to tell them how ticked I was and come to find out He was the owner. I figured I didn't need to buy a bike from him, and that half the stuff on it didn't work. He is the closest Yamaha dealer though, But I don't even want to take anything to him now.

Talked to the Guy with the '86 Venture Royale and if everything works out I will get it on Sunday.:mytruck1:

Like most of you, I really enjoyed my '84 and think I would have been disappointed getting the wing. My wife really enjoyed the '84 as well.

Thanks again for the comments, I think I will stick to looking for the Venture's, if this one Sunday doesn't work out there are a few others out there.

Eddy

If you find a good condx, ( about 20 to 50K ) 2nd gen ( 86 or newer ) all of the issues with these bikes are well documented.

If you buy one I would suggest buying about $1200 bucks worth of parts, and just take care of " ALL " the known issues at once. I would estimate about 2 weeks of evenings, and weekends and you could have them all completed.

However I am a big beliver in Preventitive maintenance, ( I know everybody does not agree )

New Stator, new starter engage clutch, new clutch slave cylinder, new carb diaphrams, New Barnett Clutch, TCI maintenance, and clean up All Electrical connectors, Rebuild front forks with new seals, Install new superbrace, New set of Dunlop E-3 tires, Rebuild brake Calipers, Rebuild clutch and brake master's, Clean out fuel System, and service cooling system. Maby, a new set of steering head bearings-- New set of plug wires--- New set of fuel lines --- New Starter Solinoid --

Maby, new wheel bearings. -- New AGM type Battery -- Corbin Seat-- New throttle cables -- Replace all the bulbs --

Remember, these bikes are OLD, you would have to do maintenace for anything thats Age Related. ( however that applies to any 20 year old bike )

Most of these jobs are documented in the Maintenance Library on this web site.

If I were to buy a used, lets say 87, I would simply tear into it and do everything at once. Then hit the road.

the only good thing that comes to mind regarding the GL is the fact that it is NOT top heavy. Thus, there is a bit more time to be had before the "tip over...crap I can't hold it" happens. And when the GL does tip over the engine guards really hold it up. FYI my brother has an '86 GL...Because of the repairs he has had to make at the dealer and the repairs I've done, I know quite a bit. .

the only good thing that comes to mind regarding the GL is the fact that it is NOT top heavy. Thus, there is a bit more time to be had before the "tip over...crap I can't hold it" happens. And when the GL does tip over the engine guards really hold it up. FYI my brother has an '86 GL...Because of the repairs he has had to make at the dealer and the repairs I've done, I know quite a bit. .

I had one of those opps, on my 84 venture when I first bought it and getting used to it. Lucky I knew how to pick it up easy.

I was worried that the GL would also be a maintenance hog, I hope this 86 venture is all the guy says it is. I have the wife all excited about getting another venture, she really didn't care to get a wing.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys. Vince the new guy here. I have an opportunity to chose between 2 bikes.

Bike one is an 87 Venture 1300, with 68k on the clock, and ( according to seller ) only needs fork seals redone, tires are just broke in, and he wants $2000 firm. Nice looking well cared for bike from the cursory inspection i have done.

Bike two is an 86 GL 1200 Aspencade with new tires and...drum roll...only 19k on the clock and in VERY nice shape for $3800.

Ironic, both bikes are the same color LOL.

Help??

Hi guys. Vince the new guy here. I have an opportunity to chose between 2 bikes.

Bike one is an 87 Venture 1300, with 68k on the clock, and ( according to seller ) only needs fork seals redone, tires are just broke in, and he wants $2000 firm. Nice looking well cared for bike from the cursory inspection i have done.

Bike two is an 86 GL 1200 Aspencade with new tires and...drum roll...only 19k on the clock and in VERY nice shape for $3800.

Ironic, both bikes are the same color LOL.

Help??

Well, I've had an '83 Wing, an '85 and an '87 Venture. Hands down I would choose the Venture over an '86 Wing. Why? Because it's faster and sportier and you can still ride all day long on it.

68k is nothing but 19k ... hmmmmmm.... been sitting a long, long time.... may need some thorough maintenance.

(just my $0.05)