IGNORED

RSV tires - Belted or Bias?

BigBear

Most folks here do NOT recommend Metzeler tires at all. There have been MANY instances of them coming apart. The most recommended tires here are Avon, Michelin and Dunlop Elite 3.

As for the bias ply tires, that is what came on this bike and is recommended by Yamaha. I'm not sure how a radial would affect the handling since they are not set up for radial tires. Plus, I don't know that I've seen any of the recommended tires in the sizes that we use in radial tires.

Thanks FreeBird!

For some reason...Metz was on my mind! :doh:

I went to order a rear Venom tire, and the first question the salesguy asked was "do you want the radial?" that's what prompted my post here.

Guest Saddletramp

I know I may start something with this but....I like the Metzler and there are a few others here who do. If you go with Metzler......I would run the inflation at the high end of the recommended. I have had two sets without a problem.

Metzler tires?

Tires are probably one of the most neglected item on a car/truck or a bike. If you disagree with this...look at the tires on the cars next to you as you drive around. Most folks rarely even look at thier tires and if they do...and they think they are low...they might pull in and put some air in them till they look about right. They probably do not own a tire gauge to properly measure the tire pressure. So they guess at it.

Well on the RSV...I know it's kinda of pain in the butt to check the air pressure on the rear tire so most may not do it as much as they should.

I know i have read of many cases where folks have had the metzler tires come apart on the RSV. Why did it happen? Not really sure. Maybe they did not maintain the pressure correctly, maybe there are some Metzler tires that cannot stand up to the weight of the RSV and maybe not. Chunks missing from the tire puzzled me. I am not sure I want to take the chance. If it is related to tire pressure, I would probably not have an issue with it...I check my tire pressure religiously. I am not sure I am willing to risk injury of myself or passenger and not sure I could enjoy the ride constanly thinking about what i know about the tires I have on the bike.

One thing that is so good about this site...you can learn from others mistakes and misfortunes.

If you are comfortable using a tire that has been reported here as problem on this bike...then we hope and pray you have good luck and are not injured if something happens. (Please be careful)

WE ALL have different tolerances to RISK. You may not pull out of that driveway with a car anywhere in sight...I may feel I can make it just fine. You may take that curve faster than me... some folks will plug a flat tire and run it 20K more miles and some will not... is it all about risk tolerance and what we feel comfortable with.

I have never run Metzlers and probably never will...I feel you only have 2 tires...and I need both of them to ride safely.

Remember is it all about Risk Tolerance.

My opinion only. :fingers crossed:

On my Roadstar I do something that supposedly isn't recommened, but many people do it.

I run a Metz radial on the rear, and a bias on the front... AMAZING how much it changed the handling. It made the bike feel very light and manuverable at highway speed.

I was wondering myself if I could get a radial for the rear of the Venture for when I do need to shop for my first tire for it... Guess I need to start looking around after a get a couple thousand miles on the bike.... IF IT EVER QUITS FREAKIN RAINING!!!

After reading comments as to the Metz tires for about 3 years on this web site.

Everybody that try's them, seems to agree that the handling, traction, etc etc.

Is very good. I did use one set on a 79 BMW, and had no problems.

However:!!!!

There are just to many reports of Chunking out and failure. Also I have read several comments that the company is not up front about replaceing a tire that fails.

----------

I have mentioned this before, and will again. Continental Tires---- I have used them, on two bikes, and got very good performance, and Service from them.

Just wondering why nobody on this web site even seems to know they exist ???

Haveing said that, I'm going to stay with the E-3 Rears on my 89.

However Continental does make good tires in size that fits the Ventures, and I feel should be considered as

a very good Contender.

:witch_brew:

I got this from the Dunlop website.

Usually recommedations like this help to keep you out of trouble...but it could be with all the lawyers and lawsuits now days...they have to post this kind of stuff...again it is about RISK Tolerance.

Can I change my tires from bias ply to radial or vice versa?

Bias and radial tires have significantly different dynamic properties. They deflect differently, create different cornering forces, have different damping characteristics, as well as other differences. In order for radial tires to be introduced into the two-wheel market, it was necessary to change certain characteristics of the motorcycle. The introduction of the radial tire led to such things as modified frames, new steering geometries and suspensions. Therefore, it is recommended that a motorcycle be used with the type of tire construction that it came with originally. If a change is to be made, then it should only be done if the motorcycle or tire manufacturer has approved the change. Above all, do not mix bias ply and radial tires on the same motorcycle unless it is with the approval of the motorcycle or tire manufacturer.

Front and Rear Tire Matching

Remember, correct matching of front and rear tires is important to obtain optimum performance and handling. Follow the Tire Selection guidelines.

• Mount only tires marked “front wheel” on front positions and only tires marked “rear wheel” on rear positions.
  • A new front tire with a worn rear tire can cause instability.
  • Mixing radials, or mixing radials with bias or belted bias tires may adversely affect handling and stability. Always fit Dunlop Sportmax, Sportmax II D204, Sportmax touring D205 and Dunlop D207 high-performance radials in pairs. It should be noted that many factors other than tire incompatibility can affect the handling of a motorcycle, including the weight and height of the rider, mixing worn with unworn tires, and the fitment of luggage or fairings. Consult the motorcycle manufacturer before making modifications from stock.

Thanks all for the input!

Bought the bike new in July 08...got 11k miles on it already...yes...ridin' the heck out of it (Florida weather will do that to you...). I figure I've got another month or so (1k miles) before I have to replace the rear. Pretty much decided on the Avon Venoms.

The front tire still looks like it has another 4-5k miles before it needs replacing.

Any issue with leaving the stock tire on the front and putting a new Venom on the rear..or would I be better served replacing both (with the same manufacturer) at the same time?

I may be a little tire "obsessive"...but I check the pressure every other was (READ: week) and inspect the treads. I for one, DO NOT NEGLECT my tires!

I rotate and balance the tires on the Mustang every 3k miles and check the front end alignment every 6k. Set of tires for the Mustang are upwards of $1600 for the set...Z-rated, soft tires, estimated at a life of 22k miles. I get upwards of 35k miles before they need replacing. So spending $150 on a RSV tire is a relief!

Yea, id just go ahead and change both out now. I was never a big fan of mix and match tires.

And id like to just touch on the Metzeler issue concerning air pressure here. I had 3 sets of Metz. Two of those sets (#1 ) lost chunks of rubber from the rear tire. Metzeler customer service was terrible. All I asked them was to acknowledge that there was a problem with their tires, not even looking for a replacement. They blamed me for tire abuse and running underflated. I always run between 45-48 lbs of air so I know the inflation is good. That being said, most products are designed and built with some degree or margin of error in them. If a weight capacity is deemed to be 300 lbs from a manufacturer, will that product self destruct at 301 lbs? Dont think so. At what under/overinflation pressure would a tire come apart? Where is that margin of error? Metzeler cannot or will not quote that one. If a tire can come apart that easy then its a bad design to begin with. If it was that underinflated, as fickle as our bikes are, the handling of an RSV would be seriously compromised in the first place.

For those that are running the Metz..good luck and keep an eye on them. Yes, they are excellent wet/dry handling tire but at least now with my Avons I dont have to worry every time I get on the bike will I lose some rubber or my life........:backinmyday:

I've run the Metzler Marathon since they came out and never had a problem. I'm still running the Metzlers on my other bikes, but I switched to a BF Goodrich radial tire on the back of my Venture.

Guest Saddletramp

I totally respect others opinions on their prference to tire manufacturer. The Metzlers are giving me good service. Those who have experienced "chunking" of the tires I do not doubt. Tire age, storage history, and maintenence COULD have been an issue in these failures. I bought my Metzlers from my Star dealer who orders direct from the Metzler warehouse. Both sets were freshly manufactured as evidenced by the date stamp. Perhaps these tires that had problems were purchased from the large warehouses and not as "fresh" as should of been. We are now seeing reports of Avon sidewalls cracking and the frenzy is starting of those owners stating no more Avons for them. All I'm saying is that man made items WILL fail regardless of reputation and maintenence. In closing a tire is like a piece of fruit----to see a bad spot within it you must cut it open!:detective::usa:

I have had one set on my 99RSV. When they were new they were great. I fount my self pushing the bike harder in and out of curves.It was fun for a while. After about 2K miles I started getting frount end vibrations in sharp curves. After 10K miles they still had 1/2 the tread . But they were vibrating stuff loose on the bike. The rear tire had 4 large cracks come down in the groves of the tread. After removing the tires they were as hard as a rock. I ? Metz about all of these problems with no luck. The best reply I got back was these tires were made for lighter sports bikes. Like i said they stuck like glue when new. I would not buy another set for a large bike. How ever the tread would have probley gone 15K.