IGNORED

Help Identifying Oil Leak Location

Ok here goes. The 86 VR I just brought home a few days back has a minor oil leak. Minor; but still a leak and leaks can get worse. The leak is somewhere in behind and between the stator cover and the main gear cover. Isnt the stator gromet and isn't the main gear cover gasket; somewhere further in I believe. What is back in there that can leak oil? Can the slave cylinder leak oil; clutch rod???? Any help and/or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Possibly coming from the clutch push rod seal, you'll have to remove the slave to see in there. Have you cleaned the area yet so you can see any new oil coming out? This may help in diagnosing. It would be that or the shifter shaft. Only other place could be the neutral indicator switch. It's all in the same area up in there.

Good luck,

Dan

Possibly coming from the clutch push rod seal, you'll have to remove the slave to see in there. Have you cleaned the area yet so you can see any new oil coming out? This may help in diagnosing. It would be that or the shifter shaft. Only other place could be the neutral / gear indicator switch. It's all in the same area up in there.

Good luck,

Dan

When I was into Friesman1's scoot, the three screws holding the switch in place was loose. There is an O ring fitted to the switch housing. Is it not always indicating neutral or correct gear??? That is an indication of a loose switch. You will need to pull the middle gear cover, to closely check these items.

When I was into Friesman1's scoot, the three screws holding the switch in place was loose. There is an O ring fitted to the switch housing. Is it not always indicating neutral or correct gear??? That is an indication of a loose switch. You will need to pull the middle gear cover, to closely check these items.

Thanks for the reply Rocket. As a matter of face, while idling and the Neutral light is on, if I rev the engine, the Neutral light flickers on and off. Perhaps your thought is right on. I guess I'll have to pull the middle gear cover and check it out. Once I do pull the middle gear cover, where exactly is the neutral switch and can the O ring be easily replaced by just removing the three screws? Thanks

Thanks for the reply Rocket. As a matter of face, while idling and the Neutral light is on, if I rev the engine, the Neutral light flickers on and off. Perhaps your thought is right on. I guess I'll have to pull the middle gear cover and check it out. Once I do pull the middle gear cover, where exactly is the neutral switch and can the O ring be easily replaced by just removing the three screws? Thanks
The switch is below the clutch slave cylinder, you will need to pull it out to change the O ring. But most likely the screws have loosened off. It may be an idea to use some thread locker on the screws. As it sounds like Friesmans has started to loosen off again & there are cracks around the screw holes on his, he didn't want to change it out at the time.

The switch is below the clutch slave cylinder, you will need to pull it out to change the O ring. But most likely the screws have loosened off. It may be an idea to use some thread locker on the screws. As it sounds like Friesmans has started to loosen off again & there are cracks around the screw holes on his, he didn't want to change it out at the time.

BUT, he certainly does now......darn .....seemed like a good idea at the time to save some time and money.....:whistling:

Brian

Ok, I intend on only going in there one time. So I am ordering the follow stuff and hopefully all these items can be replaced while I have her opened up from the middle gear area. If my plan is not going to work, please let me know.

I am going to remove the middle gear cover and the slave cylinder. I understand getting the slave cylinder out is not that easy but doable.

Then I am planning on replacing: 1) the neutral switch and it's O-ring 2) the shift shaft's oil seal and if possible 3) the clutch rod oil seal.

Can all this be accomplished readily simply by opening up this area and not by removing the entire engine or something really drastic like that? If so, I will not even attempt it and will have to get someone with a lot more patience that me and a lot more skill.

Thanks

Ok, I intend on only going in there one time. So I am ordering the follow stuff and hopefully all these items can be replaced while I have her opened up from the middle gear area. If my plan is not going to work, please let me know.

I am going to remove the middle gear cover and the slave cylinder. I understand getting the slave cylinder out is not that easy but doable.

Then I am planning on replacing: 1) the neutral switch and it's O-ring 2) the shift shaft's oil seal and if possible 3) the clutch rod oil seal.

Can all this be accomplished readily simply by opening up this area and not by removing the entire engine or something really drastic like that? If so, I will not even attempt it and will have to get someone with a lot more patience that me and a lot more skill.

Thanks

Take lots of pics when you're in there. My '91 is doing the same thing. Talked to Rocket about it, and a loose switch makes sense....

I replaced all the seals, o-rings and gaskets a second time after doing the 2nd gear fix. Clutch rod seal, gear position o-ring, shifter seal, and middle gear cover. No leaks now. Only this middle gear cover has to come off. NOT the entire engine.

Also check the 2 wiring harness rubber gaskets from the stator cover. If you have to remove the stator cover, replace the gasket, clean surfaces and use RTV.

Thanks

I think the clutch rod seal will be the tricky one, due to lack of room to put a hand in there. The shift shaft seal should be easier, as the your fingers can come up from below.

I believe, the switch can be replaced from the side, without pulling the exhaust collector.

:080402gudl_prv:

So far, I have only worked on these, while the engine is out for other reasons.

Just got off the phone with mother Yamaha ordering the parts I intend to replace. Everything was available except for the Neutral Switch. Atleast the oil seal for the neutral switch is still available. Five to 7 days to get them here; what a bummer, was looking forward to getting this done this weekend. Oh well.....! I will try to put together a pictorial step-by-step using my limited skill and knowledge of this project and post them here for those of you with bikes currently experiencing the same leakage. TTYAL

Masterguns