IGNORED

OEM Yamaha Trunk spoiler - Lights to LEDs?

BigBear

Here's my dilemna...I purchased the Trunk spoiler for my 08 RSV (haven't installed it). The general feedback here is that the lights in the spoiler aren't all that bright.

Then the thought hits me....LEDs! :think:

Has anyone done a mod to the spoiler that replaces the standard lights in the spoiler with some "super brite" LEDs? I'm willing spend a little $$ to get a flexible bright RED LED strip and work through the installation process.

What kinds of things should I consider when I start down this path? Are the lights both running lights and brakes? Are there any special considerations for using LEDs in a dual-intensity situation like this?

Or am I all wet here? :rain2:

Certainly don't want to lay down track if someone has already blazed a trail here!

Good Question... Thats what I like about this group...always thinking.

As Far as know...some folks refuse to pay that big price like you and me did for the Yamaha Trunk Spoiler...since the LED's are not that bright. To me it really helped the looks of the trunk lid and added something the bike desparately needs on the back end...more lights..

The trunk spoiler LED's are Running and Brake lights...and they look good but not as good as the new technology Genesis LED's which are very very bright...(almost blinding)

The light strip that is inside the I believe is a flexable LED strip...not sure what would be brighter in the flexable line of LED's, it may take some experimenting to figure out what is actually brighter. IF you were around some place that stocked some flexable stripps so you could see them in action before you ordered them you may have something. I ordered some other dual density LED's for my bike and they are not as bright as my tail light and really not much brighter than the LED's in the Trunk spoiler...

Take a look at this video and you will see what we mean by not very bright... Everything on the back end is working off a strobe unit 3 strobes then steady high density...but you have to look close to notice they are all strobing... The tail light is a Genesis LED unit...very bright

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32917

Hey if you find something let us know... I know several here are interested as I know I sure am...:fingers crossed:

Yes GEN32-1157

I had to do some mods so my tail light lens would seat back into the rubber gasket.. Some folks here said they did not have a problem with it, but I noticed it cause I had some wax on the tail light lense...could not see it till I removed it and reinstalled it with the LED board. You could see the lense did not seat back tight against the rubber seal, in fact it was held off the thickness of the LED board. I took a dremel tool and ground off the studs in the inside of the tail light lense to get a good seal.

LED turn signals go good with these also.

All my LED's except the reflector replacements came from them... Reflector replacements I found at JP cycles... I can get that number for you but I need to find that catalog.

I've also got Yamaha's trunk spoiler & am not happy with the LED strip not being aligned very well, although I do like it. I've toyed with the idea of replacing the original LEDs with about a 5" center strip of red LEDs for the run/brake light & a 3" strip of amber LEDs on each side of the center strip wired up as additional turn signals, but it would cost about $100 more to do that. I'll probably do this some day when I've got the extra cash to throw down. (Looking for approval/encouragement to finally do it.) It's so darn hard not to spend my money on this bike.

I also have the Yamaha Trunk Spoiler, but even with the LED's not as bright...I still like them. As suggested, down the road I may go ahead and replaced the LED strips with brighter LEDs ones one or two LEDs malfunction. To supplement the rear lighting, I installed Custom Dynamics LEDs on the rear light and installed the Harley Aux Light Plate Holder and installed LED clusters in them including LED clusters on all turn signals.:cool18:

Maybe you should start with the manufacturer of the board for the specs on the LEDs, so we can choose some replacements.

I searched their website, but could not find any contat information beyond a street address

Lunar Accent Design

2774 North Cobb Parkway, Suite 109311

Kennesaw, GA 30152

Does anybody live near there?????

Edited by KiteSquid

Maybe you should start with the manufacturer of the board for the specs on the LEDs, so we can choose some replacements.

Yep...sent an email off to these folks last night. I hope they are willing to share thier specs!

3 May - As expected all of the emails (techsupport, support, admin & administrator@lunaraccents.com) bounced.

I guess I will have to call them on Monday.

Edited by BigBear

thanks for the picture. So strange I was just wondering what

or if I could even get to the LEDS yesterday, now I know! :thumbsup2:

Just had mine installed last month. Also had

to order a primed one to get the mm color

paint match.

If you get at the right

angle they seem to be bright enough. but other wise

I think they could have made them brighter.

Walt please keep us informed on what you find.

Jeff

My best friend has a 2006 Goldwing with a spoiler and brake light that is very bright.We

discussed ordering a GoldWing spoiler light and attaching it inside my spoiler with 2 sided

tape.His was just a brake light,but he ordered a controller and converted it to a running

and brake light that flashes when the brakes are applied.I need to do some more checking to see if this will work.I talked to a guy from Custom Dynamics at Thunder

Beach in Panama City Beach, Fla. this weekend about making a replacement,but he thought it would cost too much,and that they didn't do custom work.I may call their

office to see if this is true.I also thought about Signal Dynamics.I think they do make

ther own LED's.There has to be an answer,but finding it may be a problem.

Slowly making progress on this "retrofit"!

Lunar Accents specs:

• 800 mcd (Milli Candle Power)
  • 30 mA power consumption

The LED strip itself is 11.5" long and 1/2" wide.

In essence...these are small LEDs. To make them brighter, you would have to replace the LED with a bigger LED.

So...on to the next Vendor, Radiantz!

Something like:

http://radiantz.com/cart/index1.html?c6.html&1

:mo money: Flexible Array - 85 LED - 11 1/5" - $58.71 each :mo money:

I'm going to call Radiantz, get their specs and see what they suggest!

Radiantz LED specs:

Both the 1mm and 3mm spacing Flexible LEDs are rated at:

1000 mcd

0.24 mA per LED

I'm going to order a strip of 1mm 85 LED lights in red. That should give me approx a little over 11 inches of brighter LEDs in the *stock* Yamaha spoiler/wing. Also going to add the dual-element circuit to give me running & brake lights.

WaltH

I really like the look of the Yamaha spoiler, but would like it to have BRIGHT LEDs when the stop lamps are on...

Not sure what you mean, KiteSquid.

The running lights would be roughly 30% bright, and when braking, the lights would be 100%. Or am I missing something?

Not sure what you mean, KiteSquid.

The running lights would be roughly 30% bright, and when braking, the lights would be 100%. Or am I missing something?

IMHO the 100% output of the LEDs in the Yamaha spoiler is not enough. I would have to replace the LEDs with some with a higher light output.

Like replaceing a 20w bulb in your desk lamp for 1000w bulb...... would be suficant.

KiteSquid;

I'm looking for the same effect!

I'm planning on taking OUT the original LEDs (800 mcd) and replacing with brighter LEDs (1000 mcd).

Net effect = BRIGHTER LEDS in the Yamaha spoiler! :fingers-crossed-emo

Question is "will it be noticably brighter"?

you are only gettinga 25% increrease in light output. I would probally be looking for a 300% increase in light output.

HOWEVER Another thing is what is the viewing angle of the LEDs?

If you are replacing a 180 degree LED with a 20 degree LED they will look brighter from directly behind, but a lot dimmer or not at all, off axis.

What are teh LEDs currently on the board?