IGNORED

Warm Weather protection

jvbailey3

I am curious. I have seen several posts about gear to stay warm when riding in colder weather, but nothing about gear for the warmer states.

I would like gear that breathes a LOT. Considering in southern Louisiana, there is the constant race between the barometer and themometer as to which one reaches triple digits first.

While I don't mind the net looking stuff, my wife finds it very uncomfortable - itchy to be exact. So I am open to most any suggestions. I just want some protection in case something unfortunate happens in the hot weather.

Thanks,

If you can live riding without the "tough biker look" look for the cordoua armored jackets and items that have vents and mesh. you look more like a sportbike rider, but will stay cooler and have protection when you hit the pavement at 85mph.

leatherup.com has some good ones, if you are pear shaped, you will have some trouble finding them that fit well. I had to go to a 6X on the one I bought instead of my usual 1X.

I bought this one....

http://leatherup.com/p/Mens-Motorcycle-Jackets/Mens-Armored-Black-and-Grey-Cordura-With-Leather-Trim-Jackets/40027.html

It's comfortable without the liner in 80+ degrees sitting on pavement in a traffic jam.

There a lot of different brands of mesh gear available. I think they're all good. During the summer months I use a black FieldSheer CongoSport. It comes with a liner, so if it gets a little nippy in the AM's.. :) I rode 300 miles acrossed Nevada last year in 105 deg. The ventalation was very good, and I didn't over heat, but word of warning, you'll dehydrate like crazy. I can see where if you're riding in humidy even a mesh may not help. It's the evaporation that will keep you cool.

I saw this on a different group and have been pondering it:

My favorite riding jacket is a Tourmaster Flex 2 in silver. It's quite reflective and is like getting 3 jackets in 1. There's a rainproof shell that can also be worn on its own. This has no armor on it, so if you're wearing it off the bike it looks like a "regular" windbreaker. The main part of the jacket has the armor but is mesh and feels like just a t-shirt, especially in the breeze. I ride when it's 120 deg F out and usually have this on. Plus if you wet your t-shirt underneath it you get an awesome swamp cooler effect at speed! When it's cold I put in the quilted liner. I makes a huge difference but doesn't cover your neck much, so you may want a turtleneck or scarf or balaclava for your winters. But this is for me a true year round jacket.

I live in Houston and am in similar weather. The part I bolded appeals. Right now though, I am looking for a similar jacket in High-Visibility Yellow. If am not going to weather leather, I might as well be seen. LOL

The yellow version of this jacket is what I want:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/10312/ITEM/Tour-Master-Transition-Series-2-Jacket.aspx

I have a Tour-master Intake.. here is the current version http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=269&cat=3

with no liners zipper half-way down I am fairly comfortable up to about 85, I still wear it when it get warmer, I really haven't found any jacket that is comfortable 90 and over, but I refuse to ride without protection..

With the rain liner in, it is good from about 55 to 70, and with both liners I'm good down to about 50 before I need to add insulation under it all..

Great one jacket for everything.

I also have the matching/similar Venture pants I wear on trips. http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=227&cat=4

I have the same problem as you say your wife does.

I got a blue jean jacket at Sears that I usually wear. For some reason the mesh jackets make me feel like I'm wrapped in saran wrap. I know that makes no sense being mesh, but the denim is much more comfortable.

I have the Tourmaster Flex. I like it because it covers just about all the seasons. And if you really have a problem with the heat even with a mesh jacket there is at least one company offering a vest that you soak in water and it cools by evaporation. I don't have one of those, but I used a Frogtog towel thinggie the last couple of summers. Soak it in water, wrap it around the neck, refill it with water at the next gas stop. Kept me real cool.

I went with a pair of motoboss air pants@ $80.00,which work well and a Firstgear MeshTex 3 jacket for $100.00 which is really nice. This setup seems to be pretty good and I hope to stay kool on the road.

Here is a really good article on cool riding gear

I found this while surfing the web a while back...Really this whole section on riding tips has some really good stuff in it...some you probably know about...

This is the one on apparel choices for comfort...to keep the sun off bare skin and stay cool...but be protected in the event of a crash.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/streetsurvival/safe_motorcycle_riding_apparel/index.html

Well I was rideing from Sacremento to Redding Calif, last summer, Temp was 112 Deg F. I found that a Single White T-Shirt fit the bill just right.

Or, a long sleeve White Shirt !!! I always carry a White Shirt when running thru Calif in the summer, for those extra Warm days. :bang head:

• 2 weeks later...

I'll vote for the TourMaster line of mesh jackets.

At 55 MPH I had a car in the opposing lane of traffic lose its rear tire and take me, my '85 GL1200, and a Volvo out in June of 2006.

I came off the bike and slid on my chest down the highway. After I came to a stop I rolled onto the shoulder, stood up, and walked back to my bike. My injuries included a bit of road rash to my knees where the pavement burned through my jeans and a fractured right wrist that sidelined me from riding for six weeks. The TourMaster was a bit roughed up and had a small tear in it where it caught on some part of the bike, but I was injury free in the area the jacket covered.

In the next six weeks my purchases, in order were:

- a replacment TourMaster mesh jacket

- a replacement HJC Sy-Max Helmet

- a black cherry '06 RSV (my 43rd birthday present to myself)

For those who wear t-shirts and jean jackets I strongly sugggest you try out a mesh jacket. I have over 20 years service a civilian paramedic (now retired) and will tell anyone that after what I experienced and my 20+ years of observations will not get on a bike without a proper bike jacket, no matter how hot it gets.

I recently saw that First Gear has a new jacket and pant Recon was the name. All Mesh, but what really appeals is the pants convert to shorts via zipper. Found them on Ebay and just about ready to pull the trigger. The only thing holding me back is trying to decide if I will use them enough to justify the purchase.

• 2 months later...

I've had good luck with Olympia Motosports gear, specifically the Airglide jacket and pants in hot weather. You get real decent airflow and still have some protection. Not as good as the AST I wear when the weather is cooler, but a BUNCH better than bare hide or cotton....

• 1 month later...
I know "draggin jeans" makes a kevlar riding shirt, but it looks a tad warm to me....Anyone tried one?
As Dano mentioned above, Irene and I wear Draggin' Shirts. They're knitted kevlar mesh. You can get a sun burn right through the things. (That came as a bit of a surprise.) We wear t-shirt under them.

They come in black and natural. The natural is a yellow that darkens in the sun to a gold/mustard color. Not much of a fashion statement, but very abrasion resistant.

Mid-summer they're a bit warm when standing still, so we take 'em off at stops. When we're riding there's plenty of air flow.

When it's really hot we carry bottled water (or more likely water bottles to fill) and soak our shirts down at each rest area or gas stop. The combination of mesh shirt and t-shirt holds quite a bit of water. The evaporative cooling is very nice and will last 50 or more miles at highway speeds. At first we hesitated to do this - it does look pretty goofy. We finally got desperate enough to try it on a 100+ degree day. Now it if gets to the mid 90s we're breaking out the water bottles. No point in 'taking' the heat if we don't have to.

We also wear kevlar lined jeans. Right now I prefer the Diamond Gusset Defenders to the Draggins, mostly because of cut. They too are a little warm, but not enough that I actually notice it.

Who's wearing kevlar? What I've found looks pricey. Guess its less expensive than medical bills could be?
I saw the results of a fleeting second of inattention this summer. His entire shoulder, where his t-shirt was missing, was as red as the shirt that was still there. I believe I'd pay way more than $200 to not wear the scab that was gonna grow up to be.

Medical bills may well be a factor, but they're not really at the top of my list.