IGNORED

Windy Ride Home

RoadKill

Rode to work yesterday, beautiful ride in 43 degrees! However, when I left to come home the temp was up to 67, good right? Wrong, with the rise in temp came wind. I rode my 60 miles home at a 45 degree angle and was literally blown across a lane and a half a couple times. Had to really watch what interstate traffic was around me because I never knew when a gust was going to move me around. My hands and arms were sore by the time I got off at home. With the warm weather I was thinking I would ride almost all weekend, but I am rethinking that because the winds are predicted to be even stronger the rest of the weekend. I may just get out early before it picks up like 3:30am home by 7 am.

Anyone else experienced this type of ride and if so, any thoughts on making it a little more tolerable?

I think high winds are the only thing that make me truly scared on a bike. There have been times, when crossing over a river especially, I have been hit with a gust that has pushed me one way or another. BUT - it sounds like what you had yesterday was worse than anything I have experienced.

Man, can I relate to your story. Living in Central Florida means having to brave the dog days of summer with our almost daily thunderstorms and winds, and I have had more than a couple of "interesting" rides in the wind that accompanies these storms. If I only ride when the weathers perfect, I won't get to ride much. I try to think of those times as yet another adventure to be had, and like my quote says, "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space."

Glad you got home safe!

Man, can I relate to your story. Living in Central Florida means having to brave the dog days of summer with our almost daily thunderstorms and winds, and I have had more than a couple of "interesting" rides in the wind that accompanies these storms. If I only ride when the weathers perfect, I won't get to ride much. I try to think of those times as yet another adventure to be had, and like my quote says, "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space."

Glad you got home safe!

Kind of the same here in Central IL, way flat! I'm like you I ride in alot of weather and take most as a challege. If I cut back this weekend I'm sure my better half will find something to keep me busy:confused24: Sounds like a good reason to brave the wind:whistling:

When they are that strong and stronger its just hold on and go where the wind blows..I have been blown 2 times BAD in the last few years,Once on Hwy 101 in Oregon on the coast,wind est was a gust at 60mph(Signs stating) the other around,or between Tucson,AZ and Phoenix and it was gusting to 50 MPH. Our friends in the Phoenix area know what Im talking about. Here in Texas we have 30 35 mph wind alot and its no fun but after awhile you just live with it when its here. Gunboat and I rode to Abilene,Tx in appx 30+MPH winds and I swear we were at a 45 degree angle with the wind gusts! The wing I think catches a little more wind I have HEARD,do not know for sure. Be Careful,Tom

We were headed to Santa Fe, NM a couple of years ago with at times approximaretly 40 MPH gusts. Friend on his 06 GW, me on the 04 RSV. The gusts seemed to attack the most around sharp rises (mountain passes, river crossings, overpasses).

I noticed that he had to fight the wing a little harder than I did the Venture. We were both leaning hard to stay in the lane, but he was drifting more than I.

I noticed since I started pulling a trailer (none then) that the trailer seems to minimize the effects of the wind. ie: don't drift around as much. I guess its kind of like dragging a parachute :confused24:.

I was told to install the belly pan on the Wing and that would remove a lot of the wind problem.?

That is one thing I did notice about the RSV & Wing, RSV catches less wind.

Took the Venture up on Mt. Scott in Medicine Park last month and I was having to fight the Wind too. Needless to say I was glad when I made it home!!

See you soon Bro.. 14 days and counting

Buddy

I'd rather do high winds than rain any day, and I've been known to pull the bike out to go for a ride when it was raining..

I've ridden on some pretty bad windy days in Illinois.. all over the road, but it doesn't bother me or scare me.. just makes me tired as hell by the time I finally get home.

Here in east Tennessee, we have a lot of rolling hills, some up to 6,600 feet and it can make for some unpredictable wind. As you move along in what would be a constant wind, the direction and intensitivity can change as the contour of the land changes. Several times on what was a nice day, I have cut a ride short due to wind.

Wife's cousin dumped his Voyager after coming around a "protected" curve into the wind and he was off the road.

RandyA