IGNORED

Boned again

mraf

Cleaned up scrape steel at in-laws and throw more on I had myself to fill up dump truck. Called three local scrap yards about price of scrap today. Received three different prices. No brainer. Go to highest payer. BUUUUUT! Highest payer quotes $75.00 a ton. I haul in 4,080 lbs. Receive check for $136.61. I drive home before looking at check. I've been boned! Call scrape yard and ask "What gives you quote $75.00 a ton". He tells me he pays $75.00 for a "LONG TON". I ask what the --- is a "LONG TON"? He says "a LONG TON is 2,280 lbs". WHAT? Has anyone ever heard of this LONG TON term? It's the principle of the thing that gets my goat. I am doing this to help out my in-laws who could use every penny they can get. Only to be boned in the end. If there is such a thing as a LONG TON I won't feel quite so bad. Still though I feel he misrepresented his price by not explaining that there are {maybe} two meanings for the word TON. But if no one has ever heard of this term I'm ------ and it isn't over!:225:

Yes there a term called Long Ton.

And yes they didn't tell you the whole truth.

Steel isn't sold by the long ton, it is sold by the standard ton (2000 lbs) So what's up with that.

Sounds to me like 12.5% extra profit on his end.

Good luck with that!

Great, he quotes the wrong weight for a LONG TON and also is using a weight reference that is not used in North America. Yep, I've been boned by the best! Still going to call tomorrow to -----. If nothing else I hope it grits their guts alittle. I would think that running a business that deals with the public daily wouldn't like the bad talk that something like this can generate.:buttkick:

Now that is one shady transaction. It may not be illegal, but definitely not right. Call the better business bureau and file a complaint. They don't have much pull, but at least you may feel a little better.

Perhaps before you tear into him you ought to check back with the other dealers whom you rejected and find out if they would have paid you by the long ton as well! Might save you from making an ass out of yourself. Just my thought.

MRAF,

Sorry you ran into an unethical scrap yard. Here in Madison, SD, we pay by the standard ton, 2,000 pounds. Our prices are way down from one year ago. If you bring in prepared iron (cut into pieces no larger that 18" X 36") we can only afford to pay $20.00 per ton. Last year we were paying $200.00! We have not shipped out any scrap for 10 weeks or so. The surprising thing is, we are getting people bringing in the stuff! It is people like those you dealt with that give all yards a bad name.

I have been watching the loads that come in for any Ventures (and other bikes). If any come in, I will talk the boss into selling them to me (hopefully cheap) and then list the parts that are any good.

Dave

MRAF,

I have been watching the loads that come in for any Ventures (and other bikes). If any come in, I will talk the boss into selling them to me (hopefully cheap) and then list the parts that are any good.

Dave

You mean they are already scrapping out 2nd gens for scrap value? :stickpoke:

RandyA