IGNORED

Heal toe shifter came off

On the way to Branson, MO. I went to downshift getting off at my exit and Hmmmm my foot couldnt find the shifter,:no-no-no: I finally had to look down and it was laying on the floorboard. Slid it back on and held it on with the inside of my boot unitl we fould a Yamaha Dealer about an hour later who fixed me up. Just wanted to throw this out there, ya'll might just want be sure everything is snug down there.

On the way to Branson, MO. I went to downshift getting off at my exit and Hmmmm my foot couldnt find the shifter,:no-no-no: I finally had to look down and it was laying on the floorboard. Slid it back on and held it on with the inside of my boot unitl we fould a Yamaha Dealer about an hour later who fixed me up. Just wanted to throw this out there, ya'll might just want be sure everything is snug down there.

Same thing happened to me last month on my way out west. I held it on with a couple of plastic wire ties and rode on for a few hundred miles until I stopped at a NAPA store and picked up a bolt and loctite. I was sure glad it was attached to the linkage. It's a strange feeling reaching for the shifter and to not find it there.

DT

Lost mine on the first ride after I purchased it. But it was still on the floor board when I stopped, on the side of the highway.

Hand tightened it (did not have one tool) and kept my boot against it, rest of the way home.

Brad

Gibvel,

Please exxplain....I'm much interested in what you mean here???

BTW, the fake screws in the side covers and the center covers under the seat will work for that bolt, just in case it happens again.

Do you mean if my shifter bolt fell out, I could remove one of the "fake screws" and use it as a replacement screw for my shifter??? or...

do you mean I can remove a fake screw on one of the side covers and replace that fake screw, with a correct size screw needed IN CASE the shifter came off?

Gosh I hope that made sence to you...

Hmm! Never experienced any problems like that - yet. Probably won't either. I have a penchant for doing a run around the bike with a spanner, hex key and screwdriver whenever I wash it. Check the nuts, bolts and screws as I chamois off. Bit like doing a pre-flight check before take-off. Bit late once you're at 30,000 feet to worry about the rudder falling off - all for the sake of a screw loose somewhere that you woulda found if youda looked.:no-no-no:

Gibvel,

Please exxplain....I'm much interested in what you mean here???

BTW, the fake screws in the side covers and the center covers under the seat will work for that bolt, just in case it happens again.

Do you mean if my shifter bolt fell out, I could remove one of the "fake screws" and use it as a replacement screw for my shifter??? or...

do you mean I can remove a fake screw on one of the side covers and replace that fake screw, with a correct size screw needed IN CASE the shifter came off?

Gosh I hope that made sence to you...

Eck,

You can remove one of the fake screws from the side cover and use it as a replacement screw for the shifter. The ones on the side cover are just for looks, but are the same size as the one on the shifter. It takes a "5" metric allen. Locktite is also your friend.

Eck,

You can remove one of the fake screws from the side cover and use it as a replacement screw for the shifter. The ones on the side cover are just for looks, but are the same size as the one on the shifter. It takes a "5" metric allen. Locktite is also your friend.

:sign yeah that:

Eck,

Neat trick!!!!!!!!! Got to put this in my memory bank..

OPs, I better print it out and put this in my bike...:whistling:

Thanks a bunch.

It's a pretty common occurrence. The locktite is the recommended fix. BTW, the fake screws in the side covers and the center covers under the seat will work for that bolt, just in case it happens again.

Thanks, if it ever happens again I will have a plan.

Neat trick!!!!!!!!! Got to put this in my memory bank..

OPs, I better print it out and put this in my bike...:whistling:

Thanks a bunch.

:rotf: Memory bank is overloaded. With all the pieces of paper you print off and put in the bike it is a good thing you have a tour with bags.

Brad

i've heard about this occuring - so on our trip to STAR DAYS i kinda kept an eye on the bolt. after 4400 miles it was still tight.

than another 1600 mile tryp last weekend - still tight.

any idea any idea why this happens??

btw - have just over 10k on our RSV.

It's a pretty common occurrence. The locktite is the recommended fix. BTW, the fake screws in the side covers and the center covers under the seat will work for that bolt, just in case it happens again.

Thats it, it happen to me on my way back from Colorado (4-Corners) about 30 miles before Hoover Dam in Nevada. Went to stop for a cup of coffee, went to down-shift, and the dumb thing was laying on the foot board. Someone already told me about using the fake bolt, and that's just what I did until I got to a dealer to order the stock bolt that holds the linkage.:whistling: