IGNORED

Fishtailing Trailer Revisited

1joeranger

OK finished my winter project here in Florida and as promised wanted to share the experience and pictures! Once again thanks to all who contributed such great advice!

1. Extended tongue length to twice the axle length
  2. Aligned tongue accurately perpendicular to axle
  3. Repacked bearing (17 year old daughter helped!!)
  4. Checked tongue weight 65lbs
  5. Checked trailer weight 452lbs
  6. Painted trailer to match bike

Test drove the trailer in 25 to 30 mile winds Sunday. Averaged 35mpg and did not know the trailer was behind me. Did not exceed 62mph during the test drive. My next trip I plan on speeding up to about 80 just to see how the trailer will act. All in all, I am real please with the project. Had a local match the bike paint and did the painting myself. It was my first time and I am overjoyed with the results!

Tongue weight 65lbs??? You might be asking for trouble. The last I heard, 40lbs max.

Let alone once items are packed on rack.... Might give that one some serious consideration. Very nice job though and you do have the Ultimate fastest colored bike out there. Heck, so fast the colors have separated into 2 tone... :stirthepot:

Can that axle be moved forward via new weld or bolting differently??? Would hate to see all that beautiful work be dismantled or for naught. Please don't think were being disrespectful or negative but I have the same trailer and I know when I load it wrong I feel it.... BAD... Be safe. Mike

Double and triple check "ONLINE" for some trailer GURU. Last I seen the best Tounge Weight should be 8 to 12 Percent of total trailer weight.

As far as TEST DRIVING maybe pull it behind a car at higher speeds first vs behind your bike. Check hub temperatures ect.... Ya I know I'm a scardy cat...Better safe than sorry!

:mytruck:

Hillrider,I agree with the rest of the members you did a great job building the trailer,but I also think the weight is a bit much.I built my trailer from a truck cap that I cut down.Mounted to a H.F. frame my trailer weight empty is 200lbs. and the tongue weight is under 20lbs.Jerry M.

scared me when I herd over 40LBS, OMG!!! thats crazy,

nothing more then 20 LBS . I pull a Matrix trailer 204 LBS for the trailer but toung weight is only 12 to 16 LBS,, the strain your putting on the hitch, is WAY TO MUCH....

I can't stress to you enough "How bad that is"

Guy, re-think your distrbution, most of your weight should be "(just forward of your trailer wheels)

BIG TIME RED FLAGS....

Rumor going around that excessive weight on trailer hitch is super dangerous?! Definitely got the message with the first or second response! Will not drive the trailer till issue is resolved. That is what I love about this site, a lot of experience is readily available! OK so I like the idea of moving wheels forward, I like the idea of redistributing weight. I am hoping those others with hauling experience can also contribute suggestions! So you guys really like the paint job? Hey did I tell you that excessive weight on the trailer hitch is dangerous? LOL!!! Seriously got the message, and thank you for pointing out the safety issue!

OK, for my simple mind this brings up a question. I have admired the "cooler" racks that hook onto the trailer hitch. Is there a limit as to weight on those? We are laying out a "dream" trip to hit every state in the contiguous US some day and I know I am gonna need some extra room.

Rumor going around that excessive weight on trailer hitch is super dangerous?! Definitely got the message with the first or second response! Will not drive the trailer till issue is resolved. That is what I love about this site, a lot of experience is readily available! OK so I like the idea of moving wheels forward, I like the idea of redistributing weight. I am hoping those others with hauling experience can also contribute suggestions! So you guys really like the paint job? Hey did I tell you that excessive weight on the trailer hitch is dangerous? LOL!!! Seriously got the message, and thank you for pointing out the safety issue!

I do like the paint job, what kind of car tote is that? Did the paint adhere well or did you have problems "making it stick" The car tote I have is a yard sale special and eventually I'll be doing something different. Wish you lived closer, i'd supply the beer and let you have fun painting mine :hihi: Sure gives me lots of ideas. Ever think of adding a few LED lights mid stream on the tongue or on rack? Once again nice job. God bless. Mike

Mid stream led's sounds good. Got the car tote, luggage rack, or bedspring as one of my friends calls it from Ebay http://discount-ramps.amazonwebstore.com/B000HDJLSW/M/B000HDJLSW.htm I wiped everything down with asetone before painting and had no problem with the paint job which was fortunate because I really would have been in trouble otherwise. I researched LPHV spray guns on line and found a site that spoke highly of a particular gun and how to set it up for optimum spraying. http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/HVLPspraygun.html and http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2428371 The gun, working as advertised,compensated for my skill level and I came away with a satisfactory finish, not a professional finish, but satisfactory finish ntl!

Regarding hitch weight: Spoke with Brake Pad who put me onto the Delphi Forum for Motorcycle Trailer Towing. Thanks Brake Pad I appreiciate the help and concern. Spoke with several over there and then contacted all the trailer hitch manufacturers I could google asking for engineered data for a 2005 RSTD and their hitches. I will post their results in the near future. In the interim I am looking at moving the trailer wheels forward. I'm not sure how difficult that may be and would love some advice! Also looking at redistributing load. Anyhow I figured between engineered data and feedback from the experienced riders I should be able to get some good hard facts!!

Thanks everyone!!