IGNORED

Engine trouble

Ok, I know that this is like my 3rd post this week but just bear with me. I have only had my bike for 4 months and have alot to learn.

I recently "punched out" the stock mufflers on my RSV. It really gave me the sound I was looking for. The exhaust has been popping on deceleration (which I figured was normal and I needed to get the carbs synched). I did not have time to have the carbs worked on before my last trip to Southern California (about 800 miles round trip). The bike ran great going there but started running a little rough coming home. I set the cruise at 80mph (which according to police radar is only 75mph) almost the whole way. Also, my mpg was about 32 on the trip there and 30 on the way back. I was getting 42-45mpg around town before.

So here is my question: Do I need better air cleaners that will let more air in now that my exaust breathes better or could this be a simple maintanence problem such as needing new spark plugs? Also, am I riding too fast and causing my bike to be outside the power-band creating poor gas mileage?

Any and all input is welcomed.

Confused,

Bubba:confused24:

I know fuel mileage on these big behemoths really is bad! Running fuel through 4 carbs really eats it up. On my Harley I could get 50 mpg with a single carb and the V-twin at 70 mph but, the Venture gets about 34 tops! Perhaps some day they will go to fuel injection as we have been saying in here for some time!

:think:

Dog

At 75 mph 30 mpg is all your going to get :thumbsup2:

The poping sound on de-cel, you might be able to eliminate by plugging your AIS system...

There is a tech article that Freebird did with pics, on how to do this in the tech seciton.

You are not outside the power band. That type of gas mileage is common at the speed you were running. These machines have massive wind resistance, and mileage drops like a rock at speeds over 70.

Your popping is coming from either a vacuum or exhaust leak. I'd bet it is the rubber caps on the #1 and #4 intake manifold nipples. Do a search on other posts by me and you will find an extensive thread on this subject from last month. Plugging the AIS is not necessary to fix this, although many have done that. Syncing the carbs should help, but if you have a vacuum leak, it will not stop the popping. An exhaust leak will also cause this. 05 and 06 models had a big problem with leaking Y pipes, but it has also been seen on some bikes from other years. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Ok, I know that this is like my 3rd post this week but just bear with me. I have only had my bike for 4 months and have alot to learn. We have the exact same bikes Brent, only I bought mine new, and everything you said my bike did.

I recently "punched out" the stock mufflers on my RSV. It really gave me the sound I was looking for. The exhaust has been popping on deceleration (which I figured was normal and I needed to get the carbs synched).I went with Baron Nasty Boys mufflers Brent, and put on K&N filters, and the bike picked up another 2 mpg, and around 12 hp. Didn't need to re-jet, and it's running great.

I did not have time to have the carbs worked on before my last trip to Southern California (about 800 miles round trip). The bike ran great going there but started running a little rough coming home. I set the cruise at 80mph (which according to police radar is only 75mph)same on my bike, speedo is 5 mph fast, almost the whole way.

Also, my mpg was about 32 on the trip there and 30 on the way back. I was getting 42-45mpg around town before.Push mind fast Brent, and that's all I get (32), these bikes were made for cruising, but not speeding.

So here is my question: Do I need better air cleaners that will let more air in now that my exaust breathes better or could this be a simple maintanence problem such as needing new spark plugs?K&N's might do the job Brent. Also, am I riding too fast and causing my bike to be outside the power-band creating poor gas mileage?Negative, that's where these bikes performed, the gas mileage just goes to hell.

Any and all input is welcomed.Hope I've helped Brent.:mustache:

Confused,

Bubba:confused24:

Good luck in whatever you do, what's your mileage Brent, got 83k on mind.:whistling:

Thanks for all the input. It looks like I have alot of things to try. Where does one go to have the carbs synched? Does the dealer have to do that and how much does it cost?

To answer your question, Rich, I only have about 24,xxx miles on her. We still need to go riding. I will send you an e-mail. Maybe Saturday we could hook up.

:900[1]:

All very interesting- just to put in my 2 cents- I drilled out 4 half inch holes in the rear of my pipes (after taking out the cone, of course) and got the sound I like, but didn't lose any power or gas mileage (I get about 48mph one up and 42 two up running between 65 and 80 mph- sounds like I'm lucky). I get an occasional pop, but not enough to even look into.

Thanks for all the input. It looks like I have alot of things to try. Where does one go to have the carbs synched? Does the dealer have to do that and how much does it cost?

To answer your question, Rich, I only have about 24,xxx miles on her. We still need to go riding. I will send you an e-mail. Maybe Saturday we could hook up.

:900[1]:

Just bring it over here Brent, I have a Carbtune and I can sync your carbs for ya. Then we could do a shorty to see how it runs afterwards, catch you later.:mustache:

Sounds good, Rich. I will try to clear some time soon.

Hey Jeremy,

I did the full mod on the exhaust. I pulled out the cone and cut out the rear baffle plate and that short pipe welded to it. It is probably too loud for some but I like it. It really turns heads when I am riding.