IGNORED

need info on MGB GT

Snarley Bill

my dad had an MGB GT back in 1974. i think it was around a 1964 or maybe a little later. he sold it to a very good friend of mine in 1974. it was in very good condition at the time and ran perfect. my friend called this morning and asked if i would like to have it back. he won't take any money. it has been sitting in his garage and not started since 1974. i don't think he ever drove it after he brought it home. all he has done is air up the tires. i am trying to decide whether it would be worth making a project out of, or worth the trouble to mess with. i told him to sell it but he insists that i have it cuz it was my dads car. i was thinking about trying to get it running and selling it and giving my friend part of the money. i don't know if i want to tackle a frame off restoration. does anyone know what this may be worth as is, or would anyone be interested in buying it from my friend. he lives in jerseyville illinois. bill ps. i am waiting for his call to verify the year and condition. :)

Bill,

As with everything, the condition of the vehicle would be a driving facor. However, as there are still quite a few of these vehicles around, I would suspect that an average price would be only $8-10,000.00

Now, if was the Austin Healey 3000 convertable you would be looking at $70-90,000.00

I owned 5 "B's", all roadsters and all true MG's not those Leiland Motors wannabe's. The GT I don't think came out until the very late 60's and were only made for a few years. Yes, well worth restoring, and a blast to drive.

I also had a Austin Healy 3000 MK II that I started restoring but ran out of funds. I bought it for $300 in the early 70's. Never should have parted with it...

i am going to try to ride over to his place next sat. and look at it. he does'nt know what year it is. i drove it when my dad had it but just can't remember anything about it. i did a little investigating and found out the mgb ran from 1962 to 1980 i think the gt was introduced in 1963 there were around 125,00 gts made and about 325,00 roadsters. just don't have the space, money, or interest to tackle this project. i do have to at least go see it. i wish he had'nt offered it to me, although i thought it was very thoughtful for his consideration. thanks for the info so far. im going to do a little more investigating. this would be a good project for the tv show overhaulin. maybe a small block ford v8. i also found out they made a v8 model with a small landrover buick v8 at the end of the run. :2133:

Bill,get some of your buddies to call "Chuck Foose", and give them a sob story!

you just might get "overhauled", on national T.V.!

lol:backinmyday:

just jt

hey jt, if it was a willys coupe it would already be in my garage and my wife would be on the phone with chip. i watch overhaulin reruns every morning. after the 7 days of hell they put you through it has to be the thrill of a lifetime. :2133:

If it is an MGB GT coupe carefully check the body with a magnet, if would happen NOT to stick it would be one of the very rare aluminum bodied models, I recently saw one sell in the mid six figures. I once had one and wish I still had it, it was a blast to drive.

Good Luck.

If it is an MGB GT coupe carefully check the body with a magnet, if would happen NOT to stick it would be one of the very rare aluminum bodied models, I recently saw one sell in the mid six figures. I once had one and wish I still had it, it was a blast to drive.

Good Luck.

don't think it's aluminum. he said it had a rust spot on top of one of the fenders. :)

Bill,

My Dad had a '65 MGB that I drove for my first car. I later purchased a '57 MGA that was a treat to own. Really wish I still had that car. It was a true chick magnet (not that I needed one :smile5:).

If you are interested in getting this car in the hands of someone who will take care of it and treat it with respect, I will be glad to honor its memory. It requires quite a bit of time and experience to keep it running properly; Lucas Electronics - Prince of Darkness.

I have 2 kids that will be driving in the next year. This would be a fun car to get them started with. It will teach them maintenance, how to drive a manual transmission, and how to look cool with only about 40 HP out of a 1400cc engine.

Parts are generally still available thru mail order - Moss Automotive in CA carries most of the old British Leyland parts. At least they used to. It has been 20 years since I owned the MGA.

RR

The B's never had a V8 that was imported to the US (all that were made were right had drive and did not meet US emission standards). However, there was an MGC that had a straight 6. The RV8 came out later, but I don't think it was ever imported to the US either. This and the C are fairly rare, but would be really cool to have.

RR

my dad had a slightly restored 57 mga. in fact i took my drivers test in it when i was 16, right before i went in the service. thanks to all for the much needed info. i don't think i want it, but i have to go look at it. if i was ten years younger i would'nt hesitate. just don't have the drive i once had, and tired of making a silk purse out of a sows ear. i will mention that some of you are interested. i don't think he cares about selling it, he just wants it to get a good home for it, and out of his garage. i will let you all know more info after i see it. it may not be worth the trouble. :2133:

The GT's were the fast back coupes right? They all came with the in line 6 in them I believe. The only Brit sports car to come to America with the 215 ci V8 was the Triumph TR-8 in the last two years of its production. I had a Triumph Spitfire MK4 in High school and loved that little bomber. But the body was in bad shape eventually sold it to a import garage who parted it all out within 2 weeks.

The GT's were the fast back coupes right? They all came with the in line 6 in them I believe. The only Brit sports car to come to America with the 215 ci V8 was the Triumph TR-8 in the last two years of its production. I had a Triumph Spitfire MK4 in High school and loved that little bomber. But the body was in bad shape eventually sold it to a import garage who parted it all out within 2 weeks.
no they had a 1798 cc four banger. the early ones had three main bearings and after 1964 they had five main bearings. the austin healy had a six. :)

Not to dispute you Bill but i thought for sure the MGB fast back GT had a 6 in it. I know the Triumph fastback came with a six. The TR 6 also came with a factory supercharger. I've seen two at the local Watkins Glen show.

Well if you get it for not to much money, haul it home, give it a clean up.

I'm sure you won't have any trouble selling something like that for a reasonable

profit for your time and effort.

Always sombody looking for old speciality cars such as that.

Bill you can resale it for $ for more gagets for your Wing.

Whats funny is your Wing has more horse power.:scratchchin:

Bill you could fix it up :mo money:and drive Linda out to Lovers lane :parrots: That is if its still there - maybe a Wal-Mart parking lot now:crackup:

Buddy