IGNORED

fuel pump question

Howdy.

I just bought an 06 RSV, 5000 miles. Got in December so I was unable to test ride.

Took it on it's first ride this season and it started and idled just fine, cruised around town

30mph fine. But when we went down the highway, and got about 45 or so, she wasn't feeling well. The bike sputtered, lost power, and could barley move itself under power.

I tried pulling the choke in/out,had no effect. While going down the road and letting off throttle, it would stall again. I drained old gas, added sea-foam/new gas to tank.

Tried again, same result. The other question I had was with the fuel pump. I noticed

a few weeks ago while I was playin with the bike in the garage as soon as I turned the key on, I heard something running under the cover below the battery, that sounded like a little air compressor. Since I've tried to ride today, I haven't heard that at all. Should I hear the pump run each time you turn the key on? I plan on changing fuel filter anyway,but wasn't sure if my pump is junk. It always starts and idles great, so I was thinking either the filter or pump was the issue, or the mains on a carb or two is gummed. Thanks in advance for any ideas....

Chad

I don't always hear the pump on mine if it's been sitting a few days it will run a few seconds. Have you drained the fuel bowls ? You can drain the carbs. or carb. and cycle the key and the pump should run until the bowls are full again. I'm sure others will chime in with better info.

The sound you hear when you first turn on the key is the fuel pump. It should run for a second or two to build up pressure. Sounds like yours does that.

I would check the fuel filter. It is not easy to get to, but I would start there.

Others have already described the fuel pump operation, so I just wanted to make sure you knew the 5-year unlimited mileage warranty still applies to your bike - you don't have to do anything but take it to a dealer and tell the to fix the problem. Even though you have heard the fuel pump click a few times when building up pressure, intermittent problems with the pump is not uncommon. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

IF you bike had that few miles then I am going to guess it has set up "A LOT". You need to clear out some of that old gas that is affecting your riding. Get a can of "SeaFoam" gas additive and run it with a tank of gas. You may have to do this twice before most of it clears up. You probably need the carbs synced too. These bikes need to be taken out and rode hard once in awhile and you need to keep the revs up on them. AT fifty you need to be in 4th. Check with the local Stealership and see about your warranty it should be transferrable. Perhaps others could answer that question for you.

Each Carb, has a Drain hose from the Carb Bowl. There is a #2 Phillips head Screw to open the Drain. One on each carb.

Open the Drains One at a time, then turn Key to ON. The pump should run and pump fuel thru the bowl, and Drain out the small hose.

Do them one at a time. Make sure you get steady stream of fuel from all 4 Carbs.

Do this every day for seveal days, with Sea-Foam in the Tank. At least 1/2 can of sea foam per tank, Give the stuff some time to clean out the carbs.

Also get as much engine run time on it every day as you can manage.

You might also need to put in a Fresh Set of Spark Plugs. ( You need to do this sooner or later, best to learn the drill now, instead of out on the road someplace )