THE 85 MOTOR HAS 98 KM ON IT

REAR 2 CYLINDERS RUN VERY BAD, AND AFTER A RUN IT CHANGES EVERY TIME

LIKE READJUST THE SYNCING TO GET RUNNING HALF DECENT

CARBS ARE DONE -MOTOR WAS 1 PLUS LITRES OVERFULL WHEN I GOT IT

TOOK 6 OIL CHANGES @ 100 MILES TO GET OIL TO EVEN RESEMBLE CLEAN -

1ST OIL CHANGE I WROTE MY NAME IN THE BOTTOM OF CATCH PAIL.REALLY DID!!!

BEST MYSELF AND A MECHANIC CAN FIGURE IS THE TIMING CHAIN IS WORN TO THE POINT IT IS JUMPING NOTCHES . IS EVERYTHING THIS WORN // THINK SO !!!!

HAVE A CHANCE TO BUY A COMPLETE 83 (57 KM) FOR LESS THAN REPAIR BILL ON THE 85

MECHANIC AGREES THE REST OF BIKE IS VERY GOOD CONDITION

AND IT MIGHT NOT BE BAD TO HAVE A PARTS BIKE ON HAND

DO YOU THINK THIS MAKES SENSE ???? APPRECIATE YOUR THOTS - ANY AND ALL READERS ---PLEASE

THANX

MERV:thumbsup2:

""Yep. But I would do the thrust washer replacement while you had it out. Unless your positive it's been done already.

Ask more questions if ya need to.""

OK - What thrust washers???? I have the 85 motor ready to drop out - just need to slide mount bolts out

appreciate your suggestion

thx

Merv

GREG-IN LONDON

I have thot not of maybe riding the 83

they are sending pictures tomorrow - that will likely tell the tale

they said that they had a 83 with gummed up carbs sitting - and as I have 2 complete sets of carbs------

I originally thot I would transplant motor and use my carbs etc, mostly cause I have added lights, new windshield, seat repaired etc to mine and painted it

But as I think on it - I bet all the painted and new parts on mine would go on the 83

so hell yes , that might be a super idea

thanx - amazing how the obvious escapes us sometimes ---like not seeing the forest for the trees

thank you for the suggestion

will post what i do

see ---2 heads are better than one - lololol

Merv

if you need a hand with something let me know and I can make a quick drive out to Cupar to lend a hand. I think its a good idea to move the plastic if possible, it would be a lot easier. Your 85 trunk is different but I think it will fit if you use the trunk mounting rack from the 85

Brian

tHANX TO ALL THAT HAVE RESPONDED

ONE LAST QUESTION

I was contacted by someone that has a "LIKE-NEW" 1988 1300 engine and he states that it will bolt right into my 1985

It seems to me that I have heard that the 1300 engines CANNOT be bolted into a 1200 ( 1985) bike

Will the 1300 fit ???????????

thanx again Guys

Merv

Hi Merv

When I blew the trans out of my 85, Condor and several others suggested that the 1300 swap would prbably a better way to go as it didnt need the trans fixed for the 2nd gear issue. It was supposed to be a straight bolt in as far as I remember, but I am sure more will chime in to confirm or correct.

Brian

All 1300cc Engine's fit mechanically as Bolt on between the 1 Gen's. Even the Carbs are the same except '83, but the jetting of the Carbs is different. So it might be a good Idea to have the 1300 cc Carbs also.

If you want to use a '90 - '93 Motor, you need to do something about the different Pickup Coils.

I like the idea of getting a 1300 and not worrying bout the 2nd gear problem

you say the carbs are different jets - assume larger jets ??????

like can I just put different jets in the carbs from my 85

will jets from a 1300 fit in the 85 carbs ???????

I have done the cleaning of the carbs - so teardown of the carbs is not a problem

thanks to all of you answering and making suggestions- It really helps me out

thanx

Merv

Sure, if you have a Carb Set or all Jets at Hand, you can "just" change them. They interchange without a Problem. But you have to change most, if not all Jets, Air as well as Fuel Jets. Needle Jets(Emulsion Tubes), Jet Needles. Depends on what Years you have lying Side by Side on the Bench.

Buying them all new might cost you an Arm and a Leg, if not more.