IGNORED

Banff/camping?

Iowawegian

I am scared of bears too! The bears are only a problem sometimes. That is usually because someone left food open and inside. The park people work very hard to protect the animals and the people by doing their best to keep the critters out of the people areas. The problem is is that Banff is right in the middle of a major migratory route.

Hotels are expensive.

Two days is probably not enough to see it all. And you should drive up to Lake Louise while there.

We camped in Banff a few years back. Nice but not the cheapest.

Banff is nice but not cheap enough for the average Canadian family in my opinion...its geared for the rich tourists. It is also a place each of us should visit if I make any sense at all!

http://www.banff.ca/

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/index_E.asp

Around Banff you're more likely to encounter a bear if you're out hiking or camping somewhere away from designated camping areas.

That is not to say a bear won't show up in the campgrounds tho so, take common sense precautions (I know, for some that doesn't apply coz they know nothing about bears) ... As mentioned, DO NOT keep food inside your tent. DO NOT eat close to your tent and leave food items of any sort anywhere near your tent. Take a rope and a "gunny sack" or some strong bag, put your food items in it, tie it to the rope and hang it from a tree...way up high and away from the tent. Have a can of pepper spray (bear repellant) on hand. If you go hiking, take a loud whistle and carry some "jingle bells" ... hook them to your wrist or leg and be very watchful and don't forget the bear repellant.

Oh yea... don't wear deodorant, perfume, etc when in bear country...in fact, the stinkier (human smells) you are, the better LOL

Depending on the time of year, you're more likely to encounter Elk ... stay away from those beasts!

Have a can of pepper spray (bear repellant) on hand. If you go hiking, take a loud whistle and carry some "jingle bells" ... hook them to your wrist or leg and be very watchful and don't forget the bear repellant.

This must explain the reported increase in bear scat reported smelling of pepper and containing small bells. :stickpoke:

RR

This must explain the reported increase in bear scat reported smelling of pepper and containing small bells. :stickpoke:

RR

yes, I saw that writeup also ... in fact, they've recently posted signs around Banff for campers and hikers to be on the lookout for these particular bear droppings. When found, the signs say, one must immediately throw away the pepper spray, the jingle bells, and douse themselves with perfume.... then, when a bear is encountered, walk right up to it and say "hello"...

:rotf: :rotf:

Just follow the instructions and youll be fine.:smile5:

Just kidding you may see a bear, but the conservation officers keep a pretty close eye on the animals in the campsites and town. Youre more likely to see an elk than a bear I think.

Brian

RR

Ya Ya...go ahead and poke fun! I'm starting a new thread! I just got my gaurdian bell from Black Owl and I'm not taking any chances!

Oh, and if hiking and dont have a whistle....dont dont dont whistle with your mouth! Apparently our whistler sounds alot like a marmot whistle and they are a favorite light snack for the grizzly.

We did that ....thought we were real cool whistling along and hearing others whistling along as well. We met a couple along the path and they asked if we were whistling...yeppers we said....well dont they laughed. Why not we asked, we hear lots of "people" whistling along with us. Those are marmots they said and the bears love marmots!

Oh, and if hiking and dont have a whistle....dont dont dont whistle with your mouth! Apparently our whistler sounds alot like a marmot whistle and they are a favorite light snack for the grizzly.

We did that ....thought we were real cool whistling along and hearing others whistling along as well. We met a couple along the path and they asked if we were whistling...yeppers we said....well dont they laughed. Why not we asked, we hear lots of "people" whistling along with us. Those are marmots they said and the bears love marmots!

I wonder if Bing Crosby was ever told his whistling sounded like a marmot !

:sign20: :sign20:

You can get a whistle and pepper spray.

Do you know how to tell the difference between black bear and Grizzly bear droppings?

The the Grizzly bear droppings contain whistles and smell like pepper.

:missingtooth:

Hate to admit it, but I'm afraid of bears. Hubby and I are going to Glacier then up to Banff this summer. Is it safe to tent it up there or would it be better booking rooms somewhere?

Also, is 2 days in Banff enough to see the sites?

wow!!! don't worry about bears take lots of candy and molasses for bait keep it all open in the tent and when the bear comes in ya got him for lunch they are very good eating you know:thumbsup2::080402gudl_prv:

Dray