IGNORED

shadow spirit 1100

barend

My stepson has been riding my shadow of and on. The other day he found a puddle of fairly big cooling fluid under the kickstand. He says it is coming out of the overflow(?) Also says the cooling fan isn't coming on. With the bike being at his place, makes it a bit harder to see what is going on but I told him I'd ask y'all. I supose a lack of cooling might cause too much expansion so I told him to check the fuse and power the fan separately to make sure it is still working. Are there any other things to do to see why it suddenly is "blowing" out fluid?

Thanks!

btw: Since he prefers to borrow his friends HD, I am open to offers if you or someone you know wants to buy this low mileage bike. Black, 22K miles(+/-), windshield, highway pegs, sissy bar, new leather trunk bag.

It might be time for a complete flush of the cooling system, something that should be done every 4 - 5 years but many times isn't. There is also a possibility of a blown head gasket. Take a look at the oil and see if there is any evidence of water in there.

Yes, if you are low on colant to begin with, it leads to even more coolant being blasted out from overheating. Definately check out the fan circuit and make sure the sensor is working...

We had a Shadow Spirirt for a few years, and had it overheat on us in the Black Hills one time. We discovered that a small stone had somehow gotten jammed in the fan, so the fan couldn't run, and the fuse blew. It ran cool at decent speeds, but got hot in the hills. That's what I'd be looking at first, as you already advised him. Good luck. Larry

Well it could be a number of things based on the puddle location. First there is a connector hose from the frame( that carries the coolant) to the engine, check the clamps and check the hose for any tears or deterioration. The hose could just be lose. Like Bob suggested flush the radiator , it gets rid of sludge and make the radiator more effiecent. There"s also a drain plug in the left side frame member it might be lose or damaged.

There are other members here with Shadows like Dyno Don and AJ Lepel andd they are members of the Shadow Ace tourers forum and they can give you even more info on possible causes. Good luck.

Get the fan/cooling worked out, and send me a pic. I have heard of the gravel/acorn/whatever in the fan story before myself. Might be a mouse nest if not ridden often. Close enough for me to think about. Mamma needs to move up from her 700 intruder. I have been looking for a "classic" style for her, but she just seems to lean toward the "custom" style. I would like for whatever she gets to have tubeless rims.

Well, this was very unexpected. I told my wife that i needed to make some pictures of this thing and she comes back saying she's been thinking:think: _ I know, I know, that's a potentially dangerous situation right there!!:stickpoke:Anyway, she blindsides me with the comment that she may just want to start riding it .......:puzzled::puzzled:.

:duck:Where the hell did that come from:icon_smile_question:icon_smile_question

She's only been willing to get on the bike with me since about September last year and granted I've only gotten back on about two and a half year ago. Now she wants to ride???:255: Oh well, more power to her! At least she's wanting to take the safety class. :happy34:

Bottom line: the bike is apparently not for sale. Sorry!!:rain2: