Ed its not real hard to take it off remove the mufflers first and then the front pipes after you get those off remove the rear band clamps and the 2 12mm bolts from the bottom and work the collector off the rear down pipes.

you can give me a call at 252-426-9691 if you want.

Jeff

OK, so I sprayed all the bolts down with PB Blaster (I like it better than WD-40 ) and I'll spray it down again in the morning before I leave for work.

I'm just going to ride the 'other' scoot in tomorrow.:whistling:

In the meantime, does anybody have a left side,front pipe laying around they want to part with? I didn't realize it till I was spraying the bolts down that at some time in the past a previous owner apparently curb checked the front pipe and it is caved in about half way.May as well replace while it's off if at all possible.

Ed

Well, you can remove the front pipes without touch the mufflers. Only release the clamps on the end of the pipes. You will need and T-Allen Wrench #8 (Metric), and a bit # 12 for the clamps. WD-40 will help a lot (I finished to replace the bolt on one that breaks).

Once you remove it, the starter is fully open to be able to work on it.

Be ready to clean all the dust you will find from the carb contacts. Also,

before to open it get a replacement kit.

:080402gudl_prv:

Never heard of that. Is it primarilly for loosening rusted things? What about acting as a water/moisture inhibitor/repellant?

I learned about it while working in a Freightliner Bodyshop. The bolts on those trucks take alot of abuse and rust up. PB Blaster was what we would use to loosen them. It would loosen things that WD wouldn't.

As for its qualities on moisture.....not sure. Never tried to use it in that way.:confused24:

Once you remove it, the starter is fully open to be able to work on it.

Who's working on their starter? My starter works fine. It's my collector that's driving me insane.

Guest Flash

You can cut a flap in the underside to remove the plate that is rattleing. I used a thin cut off disk in the hand grinder and had a mate weld it up for me. The thiner the disk the easier it is to weld. There were some pix here once that showed the process. I will try to find my pix and post them tomorrow after I have had a bit of sleep after night shift.

Belay that

Found the article

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1002

I thought this was a Venture site. Here we are talking about working on rusted bolts, cutting open something and then welding it back, and working on starters after you about dismantle the bike. How did that HD get in here???? OH, we are talking about a FIRST GEN !!! Well, that explains EVERYTHING !:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

:080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv:

:stirthepot:

I thought this was a Venture site. Here we are talking about working on rusted bolts, cutting open something and then welding it back, and working on starters after you about dismantle the bike. How did that HD get in here???? OH, we are talking about a FIRST GEN !!! Well, that explains EVERYTHING !:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

:080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv::080402gudl_prv:

Easy there hotrod. I seem to remember that shortly after the FC Rally there were an awfull lot of 2nd Gen riders posting about parts falling off their bikes while riding down the road.

I was beginning to think that Yamaha had done an exceptionally good job of copying the HDs.

You claim it's a lie?

Let me refresh your memory.:rotf:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12261&highlight=fell

and

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13295&highlight=fell

and

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11079&highlight=fell

and

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11001&highlight=fell

and

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12815&highlight=lost

Well, you get the point.I could go on, but I'll stop there.

My collector may rattle, but it rattles because even the broken parts are still attached.:rotf:

And just for the record, in the past 130,000 miles, The only thing to fall off my HD was a girl on the back fender who couldn't comprehend the meaning of the term 'HANG ON'.:whistling:

I still think that half of the 2nd Gen used parts on Ebay are picked up off the side of the road.:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Easy there hotrod. I seem to remember that shortly after the FC Rally there were an awfull lot of 2nd Gen riders posting about parts falling off their bikes while riding down the road.

I was beginning to think that Yamaha had done an exceptionally good job of copying the HDs.

You claim it's a lie?.......................................................

And just for the record, in the past 130,000 miles, The only thing to fall off my HD was a girl on the back fender who couldn't comprehend the meaning of the term 'HANG ON'.:whistling:

I still think that half of the 2nd Gen used parts on Ebay are picked up off the side of the road.:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

PB Blaster is goooood stuff.

I love PB Blaster, (AKA: Panther Piss) but I think Sea Foam's: Deep Creep is even better at eating through the rust. This stuff is as amazing in it's realm as Sea Foam is in it's own.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Popeye

This is a good thread. The collector box on my 86VR just began to rattle some [after jacking it up]....mostly on take off & then it quiets down.

Sounds like bad valves & very irritating.

Removing the exhaust system sounds like a Humungous job with old rusty parts...something will break, then replace the collector box with a used one & hope it lasts.

I'll probably fix it this winter and since it's torn down.... I'll get into a LOT of other stuff.

actually, I fixed the rattle in mine without removing the collector. I'm not taking credit for how it was done though. It wasn't my idea but it worked.

Picture this if you will.

Bike on sidestand. Floorjack under bike. Put the jack pad roughly under the left side center and jack up until the collector bows inward just a little.

Do the same on the right side center.

Bingo. Not a rattle since. My thanks go to Bigin for this idea. Don't know if it was his idea, but he's the one who shared it with me.

If nothing else. It stopped the rattle for now so I can deal with it during the 2 week 'down season'.