Has anyone had problems with the auto volume control. My 84 has gave me problems since ive had it. I can set the volume to where i can hear it comfortable while riding and all of the sudden the thing blairs loud. So i turn it down and a few minutes later im turning it back up because its gotten to quiet. it does this constantly and it drives me crazy. I have removed the bottom unit where the auto volume control is located and tried cleaning it with no results. Does any one know how or if it can be by passed or do i need to replace it. :dancefool:

Matt-

The radios on the 1 gen have a noise sensor on them. When the ambient noise level reaches a certain level the radio volume increases automatically to compensate. The sensitivity of this can be adjusted by the slider on the outside of the ON/Off/Volume knob.

Dave

Matt-

The radios on the 1 gen have a noise sensor on them. When the ambient noise level reaches a certain level the radio volume increases automatically to compensate. The sensitivity of this can be adjusted by the slider on the outside of the ON/Off/Volume knob.

Dave

I have tried this as well it does'nt seem to make any difference im guessing the sensor may be faulty. :scratchchin:

There is a little Part of Mesh right in that Area. It's supposed to be white, but it may be clogged and therefore the Mike underneath is not able to get any Information at all.

Happens all the Time when this Area gets wet and the Mesh is glogged by Water.

There is another quirk with the sensor mic.

It seems that that location gets a lot less wind noise than we encounter at head level. I can set it up so the volume level does just what I need at all speeds. Then a noisy vehicle comes alongside and it blows the old ear drums.

There is a little Part of Mesh right in that Area. It's supposed to be white, but it may be clogged and therefore the Mike underneath is not able to get any Information at all.

Happens all the Time when this Area gets wet and the Mesh is glogged by Water.

Any ideas on what to clean it with without harming the sensor mic.:scratchchin:

Have you tried turning the adjuster tab for the auto volume all the way down to take that part out of the equation? If it still does wierd things, then maybe the problem isn't with the auto volume, but with the unit.

Try removing the head unit, take some electrical contact cleaner (Radio Shack, maybe auto parts stores) and spray down both sides of the connector good, and use an air hose to blow it out some.

Then seat the radio and remove it sevearal times to make sure the contacts are solid. Also, make sure that the unit seats well and stays down, you may need to adjust the locking tabs.

Try a little alchol or a soft cloth with some mild solvent on it on the screen over the mic, just dab it a little and then again with a dry cloth.

When I first got my '86, I thought that was a button and pushed on it like crazy thinking it was stuck in, but then got an owners manual (my bike didn't come with one) and found out what it was. Luckily I didn't seem to damage it and my auto volume works great.

Has anyone had problems with the auto volume control. My 84 has gave me problems since ive had it. I can set the volume to where i can hear it comfortable while riding and all of the sudden the thing blairs loud. So i turn it down and a few minutes later im turning it back up because its gotten to quiet. it does this constantly and it drives me crazy. I have removed the bottom unit where the auto volume control is located and tried cleaning it with no results. Does any one know how or if it can be by passed or do i need to replace it. :dancefool:

On my 90 I'll get the volume just right and then change the station and can barely hear the darn thing. I couldn't figure it out, why was it cutting in and out like that? After a while I noticed the mute button right above the seek button on the handle bar controls. I clicked it, problem solved.

:starz:

• 1 month later...

auto volume on my 86 stopped working. tap or blow on mic it works one time, put my 83 umit in & works fine. tried tuner cleaner ect. didn't help. anyone had this problem & solved it?

Edited by cycleguy
wrong place