IGNORED

Another whine inquiry...

Hi everyone. Great forum!

I have an 86' with 54k. I've put 4k on it since I bought it last Oct 2008. The bike rules in every regard. However, since I've owned it it has always had a consistent whine from somewhere in the drivetrain. THe whine is always there. Wether accelerating, decelerating, coasting, engine on or engine off. In or out of gear. Clutch in or out. The first thing I did when I bought the bike was change the final drive fluid. The previous owner was pretty neglectful of the mantainence so I was suprised when the fluid that came out looked almost new. No flakes or anything. I filled it with synthetic and nothing changed.

Having experienced a failed pinion bearing on my BMW k75 and also my jeep cherokee, I know what dying bearings sound like. This almost sounds like backlash out of whack. However, in my experience, bad backlash adj. sounds different on the drive or coast side and also depending on how hot the gears are. This is consistent all the time. For awhile I thought it was the front tire that was cupped all to hell but I just replaced the tires. It's not the tires. Definitely coming from down yonder.

There's no clunkiness or slop in the final drive and the bike is smooth overall. Just a whine that sounds like a semitruck (not as loud though). It doesn't bother me too much but I'm getting a little paranoid. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Gear lash problems sound different under load as you stated. The 1st gens are prone to breaking the pinion but that is heard as a gear lash problem.

Since your problem doesn't change with load I'd have a look at the tires and wheel bearings. You also might try disconnecting the speedometer cable (don't lose the cable out of the sheath), the cable or bearing in the head unit can also whine.

THanks guys. Yeah, from reading some of the other info it kinda seems inherent to the machine. I forgot to mention that the rear tire is new and I replaced the wheel bearings as well. The speedo groaned like mad when I first got it but I lubed that up good and it's quiet now. Some day I'll check the pinion nut.

Edited by jimmyenglish

We have an '86 RSV with 32,000 on it now and have put about 8000 on it since I've had it. Does the same thing, thought it was coming a part to start with. The rear tire was cupped bad when I bought it and it roared like a freight train. Could have sworn it had bad bearings or something. Gut at the local dealer told me he thought it was the tire and when I showed t to him he said almost know doubt and when I put a new one on to be sure and keep the pressure right up there to keep the tire from wearing and cupping fast and they will cup fast and keep the noise down. Seemed to me he was right so far.

The whine belong the the venture from most all I have seen. Was one guy that said he got rid of his but it might have been a 2nd Gen though. Does get loud some times mostly long rides. Think I just get to listening more to it.LOL Good bikes though.:scubadive:

I'm going to jump in on this because my 85 started making a noise at the end of the season. I started only getting it in 5th gear when i was running easy or let the mph drop down to 45. It sounds a little like a spinning bearing. Oddly I noticed that when i really get on the throttle no noise. I can go through the gears and nothing. Then settle into fifth and it starts and will stay with me. I find it will hang on if the rpm's are around 3000. When i slow down and get below 25-30 it goes away. Any ideas what so ever about this???