IGNORED

regarding clutch

hairman

I bleed my clutch today and I got all the old fluid out that I could by doing it this way. The bottom of the reserve looked like liquid lead in it. I took a rag and got all of that out that I could. The fluid looked like strong coffee or a pepsi. The clutch slipped a little bit today when I went to pick up my son from school, but it was better than yesterday. I am going to try to post a picture of what the fluid looked like. Is there a better way to change the fluid than the way I done it? If so let me know. Appreciate the help. Thanks hairman

The MityVac is great, but you may want to just work with a SpeedBleeder. They cost about $8. Speedbleeder.com. You will need to do a search on here for the correct p/n. While you are at it, get the bleeders for the front brakes (need 2) and rear brake. Get the bleeding bag along with them. It is money well spent.

Now that I think about it, I should bleed mine this weekend.

RR

I bleed my clutch today and I got all the old fluid out that I could by doing it this way. The bottom of the reserve looked like liquid lead in it. I took a rag and got all of that out that I could. The fluid looked like strong coffee or a pepsi. The clutch slipped a little bit today when I went to pick up my son from school, but it was better than yesterday. I am going to try to post a picture of what the fluid looked like. Is there a better way to change the fluid than the way I done it? If so let me know. Appreciate the help. Thanks hairman

That's double ugly fluid....

Wow,that looks like the spitoon in my truck...:yikes::yikes:

No matter how you change the fluid,you have to keep doing it till you get clear fluid.....

Is this the first time you replaced the clutch fluid on your 99RVS? What did the fluid look like thru the sight glass?

:080402gudl_prv:

The more moisture your brake and clutch fluids absorb, the darker it gets. Causes lots of problems from rusting up the slave walls, forming inline crystals, to boiling when the engine is hot, and causing the clutch to slip, and the brakes to drag and over heat. There's a reason why the service manual recommends bleeding the brakes and clutch every two years. I do mine every year at the start of the riding season. Fresh fluid should look like clear water, when it starts looking amber it's time to get it out of there....